The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Switching degree at Durham

Hii
I’ve gotten an offer to study biosciences at Durham , but now I’m thinking about switching to comp science. I’m still not sure , so is it ok to switch after starting my course. Have u had any experience at changing course before ?
Original post by Anonymous
Hii
I’ve gotten an offer to study biosciences at Durham , but now I’m thinking about switching to comp science. I’m still not sure , so is it ok to switch after starting my course. Have u had any experience at changing course before ?

Hiya

You will have the chance of being considered for another course after you start studying Biosciences but it will depend on how many seats (if at all) are available in Comp Sci. You would have to submit a request with your current and the new department and they will let you know what the procedure is. I'd suggest doing this as soon as you reach Durham i.e., during Freshers Week or the first week of Michaelmas term.

Also here's a blog by Siobhan discussing her course change process: https://studentblog.webspace.durham.ac.uk/why-i-chose-to-change-my-degree-subject/

-Himieka
(edited 1 year ago)
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Hii

It's probably best to avoid starting a course you're not committed to.

If you do start the Biosciences course, bear in mind that there's no guarantee there will be a space available in the course you want to transfer to; plus there is likely to be a very tight deadline to make the decision and get the transfer signed off -- every week it takes is a week's teaching you've missed. At one university I know of (not Durham) the deadline for course changes is the end of the second week of teaching.

Do you have/are you predicted the right grades to do Comp Sci at Durham? (Their page at https://www.durham.ac.uk/study/courses/g406/ gives the A-level requirements as "A*AA including Mathematics")
Hii

Hi, from what I have seen in the last few years you would have a better chance of switching before starting uni. I would suggest to email them asap if you want to swap

Quick Reply

Latest