The Student Room Group

A Level Social Science Teacher

Hi,

What would be the best way to go about being a Social Science A Level teacher/lecturer in colleges?

I already have an undergraduate degree and Master's degree.

Do I even need a teaching qualification to lecture/teach in 16-18 colleges? Do I have all the qualifications that I need?

Thanks for your advice.
To become a Social Science A Level teacher or lecturer in colleges, there are a few steps you can take:

Gain relevant teaching experience: While having an undergraduate degree and a Master's degree in a related field is a good start, you may need to gain teaching experience before being considered for a teaching position. Consider volunteering as a tutor or mentor, or gain experience as a teaching assistant in a college or school setting.
Obtain a teaching qualification: In some cases, having a teaching qualification such as a Postgraduate Certificate in Education (PGCE) or a Diploma in Education and Training (DET) may be required or preferred by colleges. These qualifications provide training in teaching methods and strategies, as well as opportunities to gain practical experience in a teaching setting.
Apply for teaching positions: Once you have relevant teaching experience and qualifications, you can begin applying for teaching positions in colleges. You can find job vacancies through college websites, online job boards, or through professional associations.
In terms of whether you need a teaching qualification to lecture or teach in 16-18 colleges, it depends on the specific requirements of the college or institution. Some colleges may require a teaching qualification, while others may prioritize relevant work experience and subject knowledge. You may want to check with individual colleges or professional associations for more information on their specific requirements.

In terms of qualifications, having an undergraduate degree and a Master's degree in a related field is a good start, but again, it depends on the specific requirements of the college or institution. Some colleges may require additional qualifications or experience, while others may prioritize subject knowledge and relevant teaching experience.
Hello

I have been here and taught social science. My degree was in Criminology.

You have a couple of choices. I did a teacher training course (QTS) for 14-19 year olds in Health and Social Care, although you could also do social science or citizenship. I taught KS4-5 mainly, with some KS3. I then went On to work in a school with 6th form. I later moved into SEN.

You could do a PGCE FE which is for further education. This would gain you QTLS. You could teach in colleges or schools with this, but some schools prefer QTS over QTLS.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending