The Student Room Group

I just need some advice on UCAS extra and clearing

I was rejected from all my Uni choices and now am going on to try ucas extra I just want some advice. (I want to study law my predicted are A*A*A and my lnat score was 27)
There's some really good choices on there like Cardiff, Exeter and Birmingham but I'm finding it hard to make a decision and I'm worried if I apply to one another university that I'd rather go to would have spaces.

Any advice on how to effectively use ucas extra or should I wait for clearing???
Look at the course modules in detail and see which uni aligns best with what you prefer. Also look at the location of the uni; all three are in different areas. After deciding that, call up the uni directly and ask them if there's any vacancies in their course (UCAS is sometimes weird with updating and it's best to confirm :redface:). If they say yes, then you can follow their instructions and apply via UCAS Extra :smile:
With Extra, you apply to one uni at a time. If you get an offer, your only options will be to accept or decline. So at the end of Extra, you'll either hold a Firm choice, (no insurance), or be eligible for clearing. For that reason you need to prioritise your Extra applications in the order you'd like to attend them. As above, call them before submitting an app to them.

Much better to apply through Extra than clearing. They'll be more options and you'll have more time to consider them and won't be as stressed to find a place.
Original post by saffyelliott
I was rejected from all my Uni choices and now am going on to try ucas extra I just want some advice. (I want to study law my predicted are A*A*A and my lnat score was 27)
There's some really good choices on there like Cardiff, Exeter and Birmingham but I'm finding it hard to make a decision and I'm worried if I apply to one another university that I'd rather go to would have spaces.

Any advice on how to effectively use ucas extra or should I wait for clearing???

It is highly unlikely that any course not in extra will be available in clearing. Universities close the course when they are pretty certain they will achieve their numbers. This is based on years of experience. All 3 are good universities but different environments.

I am surprised Law at Exeter is in clearing as it normally isnt. It is quite a major university for Law and attracts lots of law firms in the South and West of England. One of the big things to watch out for is that the course is actually in Exeter as Exeter does a Law and Business course which takes place on Pernryn campus miles away from Exeter. Another issue is Exeter is a small city so wont have the nightlife that Birmingham and Cardiff offer.

Birmingham is a huge city and has some of the best shopping and nightlife anywhere. It is a huge city and you need to ask yourself is that for you.

Cardiff is like an in between the other. Good for shopping and nightlife but less than 1/2 the size of Birmingham and several times the size of Exeter.

You would be best advised to visit each one to get a feel of which is right for you. You could do this over 3 days starting in Birmingham then Exeter and Cardiff. Ring each university to see if someone from the department is available to talk to yoou for 1/2 hour or so and have a look around on your own. They might be able to arrange for a post grad student or ambassador to show you around.

Do not delay for clearing as the universities might have filled their spaces.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending