The Student Room Group

Should I drop Biology for Further Maths?

At the moment, I am intent on studying a Maths degree at university because I love both my Maths and Further Maths courses. The subjects I currently study are Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Further Maths. I absolutely love Chemistry, Maths and Further Maths, but I really don’t like Biology. The content is interesting but I’ve looked at the requirements for the two degrees I’m interested in (maths and medicinal chemistry), and neither require Biology. I’ve been told by my friends in the year above (year 13) as well that to achieve a high grade in A level Biology, the majority of your revision time will be taken up by Biology because of the amount of content, and this puts me off continuing with all 4 subjects next year because I don’t want to risk not getting all A-A* grades in my final exams for the three subjects that I need for the degrees I’m looking at. My only worry is that I’ve seen a few people say on here that some universities don’t like A level further maths because they see it as an extension of A level maths, but this doesn’t make much sense to me because they are two separate subjects and exams. Can anybody help me and tell me if this is true? Do you recommend me dropping Biology if I don’t like it, and I’m pretty set on doing maths at degree level? I’m also leaning towards dropping Biology because my college doesn’t recommend doing 4 A-levels, and it doesn’t allow the students to do an EPQ if they’re doing 4 A-levels and I’m aware an EPQ can give me reduced offers at the universities I’m looking at.
Original post by lilyisgreat
At the moment, I am intent on studying a Maths degree at university because I love both my Maths and Further Maths courses. The subjects I currently study are Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Further Maths. I absolutely love Chemistry, Maths and Further Maths, but I really don’t like Biology. The content is interesting but I’ve looked at the requirements for the two degrees I’m interested in (maths and medicinal chemistry), and neither require Biology. I’ve been told by my friends in the year above (year 13) as well that to achieve a high grade in A level Biology, the majority of your revision time will be taken up by Biology because of the amount of content, and this puts me off continuing with all 4 subjects next year because I don’t want to risk not getting all A-A* grades in my final exams for the three subjects that I need for the degrees I’m looking at. My only worry is that I’ve seen a few people say on here that some universities don’t like A level further maths because they see it as an extension of A level maths, but this doesn’t make much sense to me because they are two separate subjects and exams. Can anybody help me and tell me if this is true? Do you recommend me dropping Biology if I don’t like it, and I’m pretty set on doing maths at degree level? I’m also leaning towards dropping Biology because my college doesn’t recommend doing 4 A-levels, and it doesn’t allow the students to do an EPQ if they’re doing 4 A-levels and I’m aware an EPQ can give me reduced offers at the universities I’m looking at.

its like saying should I switch my ebola to cancer. They're both awful just choose the awful that won't kill you as much
Original post by danhas20
its like saying should I switch my ebola to cancer. They're both awful just choose the awful that won't kill you as much

Haha. I do enjoy my subjects so far, mostly anyway. I’m just worried about what universities prefer because I don’t want to make a decision that will put me out in any way.

If you don’t really like biology, then why study it?

It’s better to have 3 strong A level grades than 4 somewhat diminished ones and it’s always better to study subjects you actually enjoy.

Maths, FM and chemistry is a great combo and you should be eligible to do any maths or medicinal chemistry degree with that mix of subjects (edit: depending on your predicted grades, ofc)
(edited 1 year ago)
Haha. I do enjoy my subjects so far, mostly anyway. I’m just worried about what universities prefer because I don’t want to make a decision that will put me out in any way.

on a serious note, have a think abt what unis you want to apply for, then look at their entry criteria (typically on their website). It makes everything a lot clearer and if theres a particular uni you like the look of more than another, take into consideration what they're asking for.
Original post by TypicalNerd
If you don’t really like biology, then why study it?

It’s better to have 3 strong A level grades than 4 somewhat diminished ones and it’s always better to study subjects you actually enjoy.

Maths, FM and chemistry is a great combo and you should be eligible to do any maths or medicinal chemistry degree with that mix of subjects.

I initially started studying it because I did like it at GCSE and I went into year 12 wanting to do Medicine but I’ve since changed my mind.

Thank you for your reply. I was worried because of what I’d seen in other threads on here, where people were saying some universities don’t recognise further maths as a 3rd A level, and just as an extension of A level maths. You’ve put my mind at ease though so thank you! I think Biology is going to go. I am predicted all A*s so it’s not the grades I’m too worried about, more coping with the work load and the preferences of the universities I’m looking at.
(edited 1 year ago)
I initially started studying it because I did like it at GCSE and I went into year 12 wanting to do Medicine but I’ve since changed my mind.

Thank you for your reply. I was worried because of what I’d seen in other threads on here, where people were saying some universities don’t recognise further maths as a 3rd A level, and just as an extension of A level maths. You’ve put my mind at ease though so thank you! I think Biology is going to go.

Another thing that may be worth doing, if you can, is asking if you can be entered for AEA maths. Iirc, some unis actually lower their entry requirements for maths courses if you take it and do well in it.

You won’t need to take any additional lessons for it, but it is a 3-hour non-calculator exam assessing the content in normal A level maths.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by danhas20
on a serious note, have a think abt what unis you want to apply for, then look at their entry criteria (typically on their website). It makes everything a lot clearer and if theres a particular uni you like the look of more than another, take into consideration what they're asking for.

I have done this and all my courses require Maths, or Chemistry with another science subject. So I should be fine with Maths, Further Maths and Chemistry. It’s just a couple of random posts I’d seen on here worried me a bit, but I suppose I shouldn’t take people’s words over what the university websites say.

Thank you! :smile:
Original post by TypicalNerd
Another thing that may be worth doing, if you can, is asking if you can be entered for AEA maths. Iirc, some unis actually lower their entry requirements for maths courses if you take it and do well in it.

You won’t need to take any additional lessons for it, but it is a 3-hour non-calculator exam assessing the content in normal A level maths.

Thank you for this! I’ll do some research into it and I’ll talk with my Maths teacher about it when I go into college on Monday.

Quick Reply

Latest