The Student Room Group

History or Law

I am in year 13, with **** GCSEs (and I do mean that...), and I hope to become a barrister. I was rather lazy before I discovered this year the satisfaction of actual hard work. I know that law at uni is competitive af, and I do not think that my GCSEs would be up to the standard. History, on the other hand, which I really enjoy, is comparatively easy to get in to. In London chambers, it seems as if the only constant qualification is an oxbridge degree, not a law degree. Is it worth applying to law or is it a waste of time?? I am confident I can get A*A*A*
Cheers
some unis do combined law and history degree. to become a barrister, you no longer need a legal degree, but ofc it helps to have it.

i’m doing a philosophy and law degree atm
Original post by KhaoticCarnage
some unis do combined law and history degree. to become a barrister, you no longer need a legal degree, but ofc it helps to have it.

i’m doing a philosophy and law degree atm

This is incorrect. To become a barrister you STILL need a qualifying law degree (LLB or BA at Oxford) OR another high quality undergrad degree THEN a GDL. You must have a legal education of some kind.

I think you may mean a solicitor where you can now become one without having done an undergrad or postgrad in law and sitting the SQE. With the caveat that many respectable/prestigious firms will still require non law grads to undertake part of the GDL or similar before commencing training with them. In other words, some are insisting you still do some form of legal education before you start your training.
Original post by goofyhistory2006
I am in year 13, with **** GCSEs (and I do mean that...), and I hope to become a barrister. I was rather lazy before I discovered this year the satisfaction of actual hard work. I know that law at uni is competitive af, and I do not think that my GCSEs would be up to the standard. History, on the other hand, which I really enjoy, is comparatively easy to get in to. In London chambers, it seems as if the only constant qualification is an oxbridge degree, not a law degree. Is it worth applying to law or is it a waste of time?? I am confident I can get A*A*A*
Cheers

Why not do history of law
As Barry says above for solicitors most firms require their future trainees either to do an LLB or a law conversion before starting the SQE courses and exams before a two year training contract. For barristers you still need either an LLB or a law conversion.

If you could get into Oxbridge for History but not jurisprudence or whatever law is there, then go for History.
The only other point is that you get one chance of a post grad student finance loan only so if you do not apply to law firms (for those wanting to be a solicitor anyway) during your degree and get an offer who then sponsor you, then doing a law degree first is best as you just then need the masters loan for the SQE masters course. If you don';t have a law degree then you need the law conversion course and it gets a bit more complicated as to funding.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending