The Student Room Group

english lit coursework aqa help!!! - the picture of dorian gray

hello i’m currently in year 12 and am studying towards doing my coursework. it is a comparison between two texts and i decided on the picture of dorian gray quite early on and am really enjoying it. however i can’t find anything i like or that has enough themes to compare with tpodg. please help!!! some books i was thinking were:
catcher in the rye
american psycho
tender is the night
but none of them i am finding that many good ideas in that will help me do well in my coursework.

i am thinking of writing about themes such as appearances vs reality, morality, the superficial nature of society and youth and beauty.

if anyone has any advice or knows any books that would be good for comparing with the picture of dorian gray (post 1940 if possible) or has any previous nea work they would be happy to share, it would be much appreciated!!!!

please help, a stressed a level student 😁😁😁
Reply 1
Don't know much about it but someone who used to be in my class was going to compare TPODG with A Clockwork Orange with the question looking at aestheticism. However, I'd recommend having a look at poetry and plays if possible since it's good to be able to compare the different literary techniques with ideas.

Hope this helps :smile:
You could compare Dorian grey to other gothic novels, particularly on the theme of evil or to Sherlock Holmes as Dorian grey inverts a lot of features of Victorian detective novels

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending