The Student Room Group

GCSE

Hi, im doing my GCSE this summer, next month.
I really wanted to do GCSE maths higher, but i dont think i have now time to change my entry as my teacher entered me for foundation because i did bad in my mocks... Or maybe i Could do higher? What do u say?
I've always been bad at maths, but i believe that getting a 5 is gonna be hard at foundation for me and lot easier in higher gcse maths, but i dont know if i still be able to work hard, study higher content in 30 days and ask my school to put me for higher???
For A levels I wanna do
BIOLOGY
CHEMISTRY
PSYCHOLOGY
The college i have applied to asks for A level CHEMISTRY a 7 or 8 in Chemistry and a 6 in GCSE MATHS.
I'm confused if someone wants to do chemistry at A level but for gcse maths he did foundation and the highest grade he could get was a 5 will they still not allow me to do A level chemistry?
What do you think?
PLZ LET ME KNOW
PS. I m really worried and sad because since Year 10 i've been doing higher maths just because i got a 3 in my mocks my teacher entered me for foundation, and I wanna do medicine, i always worry about my maths gcse cuz if i get a 5 or 4 they wont take me.... cuz as u know good unis require good gcse grades
(edited 1 year ago)
Hey, this is so weird but I'm in the exact same situation as you lol.

I wanted to take chem with bio and psychology as well but i'm really bad at maths as well, my college is asking for a 6 in maths for chem a lvl too. i'm not gonna take chem anymore tho coz i've heard that theres a lot of maths in it which i really want to be done with by i get to college lol. i'm actually homeschooled since year 11 so i had the choice to do higher maths.

I don't want to assume i know how good you are at maths because you could easily be better than me, but the chem maths requirements for grade 6 is only the minimum and it'll still be a big jump from the maths in chem gcse and maths in chem a level. Thats what my college told me anyway, and thats why i kinda stopped considering chem. if i was you tho, i would ask teachers at your school if you could maybe resit the mock or basically try to convince them to move you to higher.

If that doesn't work, i've heard that some colleges are quite lenient with requirements, if you explain your situation to them and really prove that you want to take chem, they could accept you.

I had this same problem, i was worried because i want to go into medicine (well more psychology) and taking chem a lvl is definitely a good look when you apply. But it's important for you to know that unis consider psychology to be a science too, and for most unis, i think you only need 2 sciences (unless you're really aiming big).
Also to get into most unis, you don't need any higher than a grade 4/5 in maths and english lang gcse to get into the course.

Please dont stress, there are sooo many options these days that you're always going to have a chance to get a career based in medicine. Even if you end up not being able to apply for chem a level i'm sure you'll have many options. For me, instead of chem i'm gonna prob gonna go with either health and social, criminology or sociology as a 3rd a level.
I'm really sympathising with you coz i know exactly how you feel, but seriously don't worry, gcses are just a tiny part of what you're achieving, esp if you're planning to study medicine.

I wish you the bestttt of luck and ask me anything else if you need : )
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by yasmins06
Hey, this is so weird but I'm in the exact same situation as you lol.

I wanted to take chem with bio and psychology as well but i'm really bad at maths as well, my college is asking for a 6 in maths for chem a lvl too. i'm not gonna take chem anymore tho coz i've heard that theres a lot of maths in it which i really want to be done with by i get to college lol. i'm actually homeschooled since year 11 so i had the choice to do higher maths.

I don't want to assume i know how good you are at maths because you could easily be better than me, but the chem maths requirements for grade 6 is only the minimum and it'll still be a big jump from the maths in chem gcse and maths in chem a level. Thats what my college told me anyway, and thats why i kinda stopped considering chem. if i was you tho, i would ask teachers at your school if you could maybe resit the mock or basically try to convince them to move you to higher.

If that doesn't work, i've heard that some colleges are quite lenient with requirements, if you explain your situation to them and really prove that you want to take chem, they could accept you.

I had this same problem, i was worried because i want to go into medicine (well more psychology) and taking chem a lvl is definitely a good look when you apply. But it's important for you to know that unis consider psychology to be a science too, and for most unis, i think you only need 2 sciences (unless you're really aiming big).
Also to get into most unis, you don't need any higher than a grade 4/5 in maths and english lang gcse to get into the course.

Please dont stress, there are sooo many options these days that you're always going to have a chance to get a career based in medicine. Even if you end up not being able to apply for chem a level i'm sure you'll have many options. For me, instead of chem i'm gonna prob gonna go with either health and social, criminology or sociology as a 3rd a level.
I'm really sympathising with you coz i know exactly how you feel, but seriously don't worry, gcses are just a tiny part of what you're achieving, esp if you're planning to study medicine.

I wish you the bestttt of luck and ask me anything else if you need : )

Thank you soooooo much for replying to me.
I really like really wanna do CHEMISTRY A Level, so do you think that even if i do GCSE MATHS FOUNDATION AND i get a 4 or hopefully a ... I can still do Chemistry A level? I have applied to a college and they require as i said before a 6 in maths for A-level Chemistry do you think they'll still take me in even if i got a 4 or 5? Considering that i did foundation? i'll them about my situation that I couldn't do higher etc...?
Original post by enthjmk5e664
Thank you soooooo much for replying to me.
I really like really wanna do CHEMISTRY A Level, so do you think that even if i do GCSE MATHS FOUNDATION AND i get a 4 or hopefully a ... I can still do Chemistry A level? I have applied to a college and they require as i said before a 6 in maths for A-level Chemistry do you think they'll still take me in even if i got a 4 or 5? Considering that i did foundation? i'll them about my situation that I couldn't do higher etc...?

My advice is don't count on it. The requirements are there for a reason, and the college basically puts them there for your own good. i've heard online that some colleges are lenient but it could depend on how popular the subject is, which college etc... I know it's hard for foundation but definitely aim for a solid 5 if you plan on talking to the college about letting you take chem.

You should also have a plan B if you can't apply for chem. What other medical/science related courses are there at your college? You can consider doing a BTEC or extended certificate like i am, they're both worth the same as an a level, just assessed differently, and universities recognise them as much as they recognise a levels.
Original post by yasmins06
My advice is don't count on it. The requirements are there for a reason, and the college basically puts them there for your own good. i've heard online that some colleges are lenient but it could depend on how popular the subject is, which college etc... I know it's hard for foundation but definitely aim for a solid 5 if you plan on talking to the college about letting you take chem.

You should also have a plan B if you can't apply for chem. What other medical/science related courses are there at your college? You can consider doing a BTEC or extended certificate like i am, they're both worth the same as an a level, just assessed differently, and universities recognise them as much as they recognise a levels.

Ok thank you very much for the advice

Quick Reply

Latest