The Student Room Group

Doctoral loan doubt

Hi, I'm a final year PhD student at UCL, I'm currently in the writing-up year, I don't need to pay any fees, but I'll be without any stipend for about 2/3 month soon. Does anyone know if I can apply for a doctoral loan? Anyone in similar situation? Thanks, Alessia
Reply 1
Original post by Ale_SM
Hi, I'm a final year PhD student at UCL, I'm currently in the writing-up year, I don't need to pay any fees, but I'll be without any stipend for about 2/3 month soon. Does anyone know if I can apply for a doctoral loan? Anyone in similar situation? Thanks, Alessia

Hi Alessia!

Im not entirely qualified to answer as im a 17 year old college student your question but id love to be of help where possible. Basically what im saying is dont take my word as gospel lol.

From some research i have recieved this information, please note that it may not be 100% accurate and you should carry out your own research as well.

Doctoral loans are available for UK and EU students who are studying a PhD or other doctoral degree at a UK university. The maximum loan amount for the academic year 2022/2023 is £27,265 (may have changed) and the loan can be used to cover tuition fees and living costs. However, the loan is only available to students who have not already received funding for a doctoral degree, such as a research council studentship.

If you have not received any funding for your PhD and you meet the eligibility criteria, you may be able to apply for a doctoral loan. You can apply online through the Student Loans Company website. The deadline to apply for the academic year 2022/2023 is 30th September 2023 (although im not 100% sure).

It's worth noting that doctoral loans are not designed to cover short-term gaps in funding, such as a 2-3 month period without a stipend. If you are experiencing financial difficulties, you may be able to apply for a hardship fund or other support from your university. It's also a good idea to talk to your supervisor or department about any financial concerns you have, as they may be able to provide guidance or support.

Its worth having a more in depth look as only you know what position you are in financially, however i hope i could be of help!
As you can see in the text i provided. "It's worth noting that doctoral loans are not designed to cover short-term gaps in funding, such as a 2-3 month period without a stipend." And so maybe applying for a hardship fund or support from your uni may be a choice? Once again dont take my word for it and look into it more than i did haha!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending