The Student Room Group

[M20] How do i overcome my fear of approaching girls?

Hi everyone, i’m almost a 20 yo guy and i’ve only approached a girl once when i was 16.

I generally feel not enough for dating a girl i like, especially if i don’t even know her. I have some serious issues regarding my looks (issues to accept them, like alopecia and so on). This is also due to the fact that my best friend was a very good looking guy, and girls constantly approached him when we were hanging out together. Now we’re not friends anymore, after about 7 years of friendship.

I’m pretty tall and fit, so i feel better than i did in the past(sure, a good body is always less attractive than a good face and a good body)… but i’m so scared of trying to get to know my gym crush, for instance (now, i don’t want to talk about whether approaching in a gym is good or not, i don’t care about that specific situation).

I don’t have issues to ask girls if they still need a certain equipment, btw, and i’ve also got some girl friends. What scares me is the approaching part: i don’t want to be seen as a creep and as a non confident person. I know nothing can go wrong if i approach a girl.

Please, help me to overcome my fear… simply hearing some of your opinions, experiences or suggestions would be great. Thanks!
Talk to women like they're people, that's all they are. Understand that everyone is different and this will obviously apply to women too. How one woman likes to be approached won't be applicable to all women. If you interact with someone with the intention of getting with them, it's gonna work against you. It's not conducive to good interpersonal relations. Just talk with them how you would to your friends and see if she shows interest back. Just be friendly, polite, and respectful.
Own your appearance, it's never as bad as you think it is. The only thing that's truly ugly is a lack of confidence. Confidence is key but don't let that bleed into arrogance. Actual confidence tends to read as stable. Arrogance reads as insecure.
Remember, you are not entitled to anything, especially regarding women and sex/relationships. They don't owe you anything just because you're a guy.

Make sure you take showers and have good hygiene. SMELL GOOD. THIS IS CRUCIAL. Style your hair, find a style that suits you. Seeing a guy who can take care of himself is attractive.
Be patient. These things take time and the more comfortable you are with being alone, the less needy you'll seem.
Original post by Anonymous
I have some serious issues regarding my looks (issues to accept them, like alopecia and so on).

. Style your hair, find a style that suits you.

Are you taking the mickey? :smile: You're advising a guy with alopecia to style his hair! :eek:

For the original poster.
"i don’t want to be seen as a creep and as a non confident person"
You are, at the moment, non-confident when it comes to approaching.
There is a certain creepiness in you going round being attracted to women and then not breaking the ice with them, because you're too frightened.
Accept that you are not perfect and that you're a work in progress and you'll come over better than if you try to pretend to be something you're not.

You also see your alopecia as a serious problem.

How about seeing your alopecia as non serious problem? Something to laugh at and treat as one big joke?
And doing the same when it comes to your lack of confidence in approaching and your creepiness.

Treat approaching as a source of amusement and laughter. For you and the people you're talking with.
Hi everyone, i’m almost a 20 yo guy and i’ve only approached a girl once when i was 16.

I generally feel not enough for dating a girl i like, especially if i don’t even know her. I have some serious issues regarding my looks (issues to accept them, like alopecia and so on). This is also due to the fact that my best friend was a very good looking guy, and girls constantly approached him when we were hanging out together. Now we’re not friends anymore, after about 7 years of friendship.

I’m pretty tall and fit, so i feel better than i did in the past(sure, a good body is always less attractive than a good face and a good body)… but i’m so scared of trying to get to know my gym crush, for instance (now, i don’t want to talk about whether approaching in a gym is good or not, i don’t care about that specific situation).

I don’t have issues to ask girls if they still need a certain equipment, btw, and i’ve also got some girl friends. What scares me is the approaching part: i don’t want to be seen as a creep and as a non confident person. I know nothing can go wrong if i approach a girl.

Please, help me to overcome my fear… simply hearing some of your opinions, experiences or suggestions would be great. Thanks!

Here is the reality of it . The only way to get over approach anxiety is to approach . It’s as simple as that . The more you do it the less you will care . Untill eventually approaching girls will be like breathing .

A point to note , getting good at approaching girls doesn’t mean getting success with them . I know many a bloke who will approach any girl and strike up a conversation and not give the slightest fcuk. But they still get rejected . The thing is they don’t care , in their mind it’s literally their loss and on to the next .
Original post by Dunnig Kruger
Are you taking the mickey? :smile: You're advising a guy with alopecia to style his hair! :eek:

For the original poster.
"i don’t want to be seen as a creep and as a non confident person"
You are, at the moment, non-confident when it comes to approaching.
There is a certain creepiness in you going round being attracted to women and then not breaking the ice with them, because you're too frightened.
Accept that you are not perfect and that you're a work in progress and you'll come over better than if you try to pretend to be something you're not.

You also see your alopecia as a serious problem.

How about seeing your alopecia as non serious problem? Something to laugh at and treat as one big joke?
And doing the same when it comes to your lack of confidence in approaching and your creepiness.

Treat approaching as a source of amusement and laughter. For you and the people you're talking with.

Today, i came back at the gym and i saw a dude spotting my gym crush. So, i went to the hip thrust and started my workout with a bad mood. I noticed my water bottle was empty, so i went to the bathroom to fill it out. I believe something like fate does exist, and it gave me a chance when i met her on the stairs that other day.

(for context, i met her 2 weeks ago in the night club i work in… but i wasn’t able to approach her. I saw her on the stairs of the gym we both go to, but was way too stressed to talk to her, so i simply looked at my phone and pretended i didn’t see her).

I didn’t take that opportunity, but i always think there’s a second opportunity too, which is the last one you have.

I was thinking about this thing and, as i opened the door, i saw her filling her water bottle at the sink. No need to say that, this time, i finally talked to her and found a very kind person. We talked for about a minute, but she really looked interested in the conversation, and also asked me questions. After that, i asked her if she was training legs, as i was, and she said yes. I told her “see you again” and went back to my hip thrust. After a while, she went in the room and we kept working out separately. After i finished, i went to her, told her “Btw, a pleasure, I’m Luca”, she smiled and told me her name, we shook hands and i walked away. I’m really proud of myself. Now, i’ve got someone i can wave at when i see her, and maybe we can plan to go out after the gym to get something to eat, or do.
Today, i came back at the gym and i saw a dude spotting my gym crush. So, i went to the hip thrust and started my workout with a bad mood. I noticed my water bottle was empty, so i went to the bathroom to fill it out. I believe something like fate does exist, and it gave me a chance when i met her on the stairs that other day.

(for context, i met her 2 weeks ago in the night club i work in… but i wasn’t able to approach her. I saw her on the stairs of the gym we both go to, but was way too stressed to talk to her, so i simply looked at my phone and pretended i didn’t see her).

I didn’t take that opportunity, but i always think there’s a second opportunity too, which is the last one you have.

I was thinking about this thing and, as i opened the door, i saw her filling her water bottle at the sink. No need to say that, this time, i finally talked to her and found a very kind person. We talked for about a minute, but she really looked interested in the conversation, and also asked me questions. After that, i asked her if she was training legs, as i was, and she said yes. I told her “see you again” and went back to my hip thrust. After a while, she went in the room and we kept working out separately. After i finished, i went to her, told her “Btw, a pleasure, I’m Luca”, she smiled and told me her name, we shook hands and i walked away. I’m really proud of myself. Now, i’ve got someone i can wave at when i see her, and maybe we can plan to go out after the gym to get something to eat, or do.

I take it you're this guy then?

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7337380

Well done for making your move, and glad it worked out for you... however, I'll give you 2p's worth of advice.

Don't go making immediate plans with her just yet; fair enough, you broke the ice, she's friendly and your first encounter went well... but from experience, A LOT of people are (generally) friendly and "chatty" at the gym (especially with regulars). You don't want to blow your chances by coming on too strong; instead, play it by ear.

If I were you, I would take some time to find out a bit more about her and her interests, before proposing a meeting... and from chatting, it'll soon become obvious if she's interested, got a boyfriend (or her eye on someone)... or simply wants some time to herself.

Still, regardless of what happens with this girl, take this as a lesson that there's nothing to fear from making the initial approach; the worst they can say is "No" or reference a boyfriend in the opening... even if they're not interested, the majority of the time, they're (generally) polite about it. The only guys who get rejected really harshly are those who approach them in a sleazy, creepy manner (If you work in a bar or nightclub, I'm sure you see this all the time, and know the kind of behaviour I mean).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending