The Student Room Group

Hi I have been on the waiting list for 7+ years for braces.

I was 13-14 when I got put on the list now I’m 20. I’ve had a few checkups with the orthodontists and they said I have an overbite which really makes me self conscious. I’ll need another check up and maybe have surgery done. I just don’t think I can wait any longer the more I look at my face the more I end up hating how I look. My teeth are really bad and overcrowded aswell and I feel like if this was looked at years before it wouldn’t have gotten this bad.
whats the question? the doubt?
Have you asked them how long it will be? Are you sure you are on the waiting list? Might be worth chasing it up
It’s worth following up, to see if a) you’re still on the list and b) how long it might be. If you’re on the list, then because you were first on it while under-16 and in school, the NHS should cover the cost of your treatment and that might also be the reason it’s take. So long. There’s a shortage of dentists that offer nhs services, and the nhs can take forever before they pay for you to get them hence the long wait sometimes.

You can go privately , but it’s can be really expensive initially and the ongoing maintenance. If it’s causing and pain, then get in touch with your dentist.

Otherwise, it’s mainly cosmetic. Having nice teeth (straight and white essentially) is something most of us want, and were all self conscious about our smile and how we look. Just need to be confident with your appearance and who you are, and that should help overcome some of those feelings you have. (Until you get your braces at least)

Quick Reply

Latest