The Student Room Group

Will I be unemployed for prolonged time if I study Law?

Hi! I am in year 12 and I am beginning to question what on earth I would like to do later on in life and I think I would like to do Law, due to the fact my subjects I study at A level. The problem I have Is that I am of afraid Law is so so competitive, in addition I overheard some people in my class saying how people who study Law have the highest rates of unemployment or not even working in a good job and it upsets me because I think that this subject is the only thing Ill actually be confident to study. I just really need advice on what I can do now to ensure in the future I can get myself a job at a law firm and get into a great internship programme
Original post by Uhhcallmerae
Hi! I am in year 12 and I am beginning to question what on earth I would like to do later on in life and I think I would like to do Law, due to the fact my subjects I study at A level. The problem I have Is that I am of afraid Law is so so competitive, in addition I overheard some people in my class saying how people who study Law have the highest rates of unemployment or not even working in a good job and it upsets me because I think that this subject is the only thing Ill actually be confident to study. I just really need advice on what I can do now to ensure in the future I can get myself a job at a law firm and get into a great internship programme

I currently don't work in law, but it's said to be a good career if you can secure a training contract.

The legal work isn't restricted to either solicitor and barrister roles, but you will have to look further afield in order to find what you can do. Even then it's pretty competitive.

On the other hand, a degree in law won't restrict you working in law. You can apply for work in any role that accepts an undergrad in any subject. This can include roles in the legal departments in large companies, legal clinics, IT, civil service, education (actually know a law grad who went into primary education), writing, anything in business, accounting (know of a few people who studied law who went into this field), marketing, etc.

The grad job roles tend to be competitive anyway, so it's going to be difficult to secure any role.
Original post by Uhhcallmerae

Hi @Uhhcallmerae :smile:

There are lots of different routes you can choose if you want to study Law at university and a Law degree can open a wide range of pathways you can choose. We find that studying Law can help you stand out to employers and help you become a well rounded individual. Our graduates agreed with 94% of our postgraduate students in employment 15 months after graduation.

You have lots of options at undergraduate level if you would like to study law. You can study an undergraduate Law course like this one which can help prepare you to take the next steps in becoming a solicitor or barrister. One thing that is also important to note is that a Law degree can provide you with lots of transferable skills that are applicable in many professions such as business, politics or journalism. This means that if you decide to change career paths, you can still do this using your developed skills.

You could also choose to study a combined honours degree if you would like to broaden your skillset, such as this LLB (hons) Law with Business Degree. Alternatively, you could study a non law subject at undergraduate level and then convert this using an MA Law Conversion course.

Whatever you choose, its important to remember that you will be the person studying the subject for at least 3 years. No matter what your friends say, you are the one who should be confident and happy in their decision. And if you decide that Law is the subject for you, I say go for it!

If you have any questions or need any more advice, just let me know!

Laura :rave:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending