The Student Room Group

Five A-levels or four and an EPQ?

I’m currently in Year 11 and I will be starting at a grammar school sixth form in September. The school requires all students to do either three A-levels and an EPQ or four A-levels, and I am planning on studying Latin A-level privately with a tutor. The four A-levels I would study in school would be English lit, Religious Studies, Philosophy and Ethics, Maths and Further maths, but I’m worried about the workload of five A-levels. If I were to do an EPQ instead, I would probably drop Further maths. My mum is a maths teacher and doesn’t think that there will be a huge difference in the amount of work required to do Further maths or an EPQ. I will also probably sit AS-level Latin at the end of Year 12, but the school doesn’t do AS-levels so that will be my only one. The EPQ would also be due at the end of Year 12. I know both options would be a lot of work, and my priority is my main four A-levels (Latin, English, Philosophy and Maths). Which combination would be the best to achieve top grades?
(edited 1 year ago)
No Uni wants more 3 A levels - and you get no extra credit for doing more than this so its very literally as waste of time.
And - this is important - by taking on too much you are risking all your grades. AAA will always look better than ABBB, and remember that this over-stretch could ultimately cost you a Uni place if you then mess up your grades.

The only situation where 4 A levels makes any sense is where you are aiming at a STEM degree subject and the 4 includes both Maths and FM.

An EPQ is a 1-year research project and ideally completed in Year 12 so that you can a) then focus on your 3 A level subjects in Year 13, and b) gives ou an in-depth topic to discuss in your UCAS Personal Statement.

I think you need to work out what eventual degree subject you are aiming at and therefore what A level subjects you actually need. If for instance you are aiming at a STEM degree, then A levels in English and/or Latin are not required and wont impress any Uni.
Original post by medea09
I’m currently in Year 11 and I will be starting at a grammar school sixth form in September. The school requires all students to do either three A-levels and an EPQ or four A-levels, and I am planning on studying Latin A-level privately with a tutor. The four A-levels I would study in school would be English lit, Religious Studies, Philosophy and Ethics, Maths and Further maths, but I’m worried about the workload of five A-levels. If I were to do an EPQ instead, I would probably drop Further maths. My mum is a maths teacher and doesn’t think that there will be a huge difference in the amount of work required to do Further maths or an EPQ. I will also probably sit AS-level Latin at the end of Year 12, but the school doesn’t do AS-levels so that will be my only one. The EPQ would also be due at the end of Year 12. I know both options would be a lot of work, and my priority is my main four A-levels (Latin, English, Philosophy and Maths). Which combination would be the best to achieve top grades?

That seems like a lot of work.
What do you want to do at uni?
Reply 3
Original post by McGinger
No Uni wants more 3 A levels - and you get no extra credit for doing more than this so its very literally as waste of time.
And - this is important - by taking on too much you are risking all your grades. AAA will always look better than ABBB, and remember that this over-stretch could ultimately cost you a Uni place if you then mess up your grades.

The only situation where 4 A levels makes any sense is where you are aiming at a STEM degree subject and the 4 includes both Maths and FM.

An EPQ is a 1-year research project and ideally completed in Year 12 so that you can a) then focus on your 3 A level subjects in Year 13, and b) gives ou an in-depth topic to discuss in your UCAS Personal Statement.

I think you need to work out what eventual degree subject you are aiming at and therefore what A level subjects you actually need. If for instance you are aiming at a STEM degree, then A levels in English and/or Latin are not required and wont impress any Uni.

I want to do a Classics degree, which is why I’m doing Latin privately. Ideally I would just do my four preferred A-levels, but this is not an option due to the requirements of the sixth form.
Reply 4
Original post by Emma:-)
That seems like a lot of work.
What do you want to do at uni?

I want to do Classics, and I’m aiming for Oxbridge (probably Oxford).
Original post by medea09
I want to do a Classics degree, which is why I’m doing Latin privately. Ideally I would just do my four preferred A-levels, but this is not an option due to the requirements of the sixth form.

Have you talked about your predicament with your school? Their policies really don't seem in your best interest. I usually don't advocate for kicking off/getting parents involved, but you can often get your way by doing just that or being enough of a nuisance they give in.

I would advise against trying to balance 5 A-Levels for the reasons suggested above - and due to the fact one of them is Latin. I'm about to sit an A-Level in Latin, and it is by far the most intensive in workload as you need to perform well in it to achieve an A/A* because it is taught very well by top schools. I'm assuming you're about to sit a GCSE in it (if you're not, you're being naive to think you can bootstrap your way up with the combination you're suggesting) and I can tell you it's so very different at A-Level.

It's also worth noting that not even Oxford's Classics course requires Latin to be taken at A-Level (but yes, the majority of entrants do take it) and you can get into a good university without it.
Original post by medea09

For humanities courses Oxford simply does not care about a 4th A-Level.
Reply 7
Original post by BarnabyK
Have you talked about your predicament with your school? Their policies really don't seem in your best interest. I usually don't advocate for kicking off/getting parents involved, but you can often get your way by doing just that or being enough of a nuisance they give in.

I would advise against trying to balance 5 A-Levels for the reasons suggested above - and due to the fact one of them is Latin. I'm about to sit an A-Level in Latin, and it is by far the most intensive in workload as you need to perform well in it to achieve an A/A* because it is taught very well by top schools. I'm assuming you're about to sit a GCSE in it (if you're not, you're being naive to think you can bootstrap your way up with the combination you're suggesting) and I can tell you it's so very different at A-Level.

It's also worth noting that not even Oxford's Classics course requires Latin to be taken at A-Level (but yes, the majority of entrants do take it) and you can get into a good university without it.

I don’t currently attend the school, but I might try and get in touch to see if there would be a way to only study three A-levels without an EPQ. I don’t want to do five A-levels, but I’m not sure whether the EPQ would be less work overall than Further maths as a fifth A-Level. I am not sitting the actual GCSE in Latin as I study it privately and am busy with my other subjects, but I already work with a tutor who has a Classics degree for Oxford and believes that it will be possible to do the A-Level. I am aware that Oxford doesn’t require A-level Latin, but I’ve been looking at courses and I think it will be advantageous to have done it.
Reply 8
expe
Original post by medea09

Just out of curiosity why do you want to do maths and further maths if you want to do classis? I'm still in year 11 so I can't give you an experienced advice, but I would say not do further maths and just do the epq that can focus on classics to show Oxford your interest.
Original post by medea09

Heya!
Unis just need 3 alvls, so try sticking to that (unless 4th one is FM which is fine) :h: 5 alvls can get hectic very quickly. What are you planning on doing later at uni? Have you looked at the entry requirements? You could use uniguide for it if it helps!

I hope this helps!
Milena
UCL PFE
Study Mind
Original post by medea09

Hi there,

I am a third year Mathematics with Statistics student at Lancaster University. Personally I had planned on doing four A Levels maths, further maths, psychology and geography as well as an EPQ. However, it go too much to manage alongside my personal life and I ended up dropping the EPQ which I do not regret. I think it is definitely a good idea to think about what A-Levels are required for your future (i.e. job fields or university) and focus on them as most universities do only consider your best three A Levels anyway. Definitely try talking to your school and making them aware of your intentions to study an additional A Level privately as they are most likely not wanting to overwork you either. As far as the best combination for grades I can confirm doing further maths did help with my regular maths but not too much. Therefore, I would suggest just picking the ones you like most and will be more motivated to work in. Please feel free to ask me any questions.

Amy (Lancaster Student Ambassador) :smile:
Original post by medea09

Do three and drop the EPQ or pick a sixth form that offers Latin.
Original post by medea09

There is no benefit in doing 4 (or more) A-levels - you don't get "bonus points" for doing so, and run the risk of getting worse grades across the board. Neither maths nor FM is specifically needed (or even directly that useful, although indirectly the analytical skills may be handy) for classics.

Also don't do an EPQ for admissions purposes, it adds little to no value there for many universities (and certainly Oxbridge). If you already have a specific project or essay idea you want to explore which does fit into the framework of an EPQ then it's a fine option, but don't do it just as "UCAS fodder" as it's beyond pointless then (and you probably won't get much out of it).

If you absolutely have to do either 3+EPQ+ Latin or 4 + Latin, I'd suggest doing the former option as the EPQ is less of an issue if you tank it (and you can tailor it to your interests in classics anyway and if it turns out well, might be something to talk about in your PS). I'd really recommend you talk to your school about the fact you're taking Latin externally and see if they will permit you to just do 3 A-levels with them (and then if you are continuing Latin past year 12, hopefully drop one of those 3 too...).

Alternately you can not do Latin and just apply to Course II at Oxford or the prelim year at Cambridge, although starting the classical language(s) earlier is probably the ideal situation (if even just so you can better understand what that large part of your degree will entail!).
Hi, I am a current third-year history student at Lancaster University and thought maybe I could help here.

5 A-levels is a lot, especially when unis only require 3. Maths and further maths aren't particularly important if you're aiming to study classics, although if your sixth form requires you to do three a-levels with them then just do maths. Although most universities don't specifically appreciate EPQs, the benefit here for you would be that you could do your EPQ on classics, and it would enable you to do in-depth research into classics that could be so useful in your Oxbridge interviews. Obviously preparation for interviews at Oxbridge is important, and the EPQ would guide that for you, which also means that time will be spent on preparing that you might not have if you're spread too thin with 5 a-levels.

Feel free to reach out with any questions,
~Georgia
Reply 14
Original post by yak8
expe

Just out of curiosity why do you want to do maths and further maths if you want to do classis? I'm still in year 11 so I can't give you an experienced advice, but I would say not do further maths and just do the epq that can focus on classics to show Oxford your interest.

Maths and FM is because I enjoy maths and I thought it might feel more like 1.5 difficult A-levels than 2 separate subjects, not because it’s particularly relevant to the course.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by medea09

you should do this a-level called 'get a life'
Original post by medea09

Hi,

My name is Emmanuel and I'm a student of History & Politics at Lancaster University. I was not in a dissimilar position to you. I did the IB instead of A-Levels so I was already doing 6 subjects as a standard requirement for the diploma as well as a 4000 Extended Essay, AS Latin, and keeping up my commitments to school football. Y12 was very busy and by the time that I got to the end of the first term of Y13, I suffered the worst burnout I'd been through in a long time. I didn't wish particularly to do Higher Level Maths due to my choice of degree, but, again similarly, my parents expressed a strong desire for me to do so. In the end, I got a great grade, and the revision I did in the summer before Y13 paid off significantly, but if I had my time back, I would have preferred to do what was called Standard Level Maths at the time. I absolutely was good at Maths but neither did I love it nor was it a particularly useful aspect of my study for further Higher Education. Of course, I'm completely talking about my experiences here: your own strengths and interests matter most here. However, burnout is definitely something to consider and I would advise additional work is something you like and/or something that clearly improves your portfolio for what you want to do after school. If Classics is the goal, I definitely think an EPQ that reflected that interest would be a valuable asset in the context of an Oxbridge application: I definitely found that was the case when I wrote my Extended Essay and undertook an interview at Cambridge. I hope this helps and best of luck with your future decisions.
Original post by medea09
Maths and FM is because I enjoy maths and I thought it might feel more like 1.5 difficult A-levels than 2 separate subjects, not because it’s particularly relevant to the course.

This really isn't a good enough reason to do them and you would be burdening yourself with too much work. Stick with the other three!
Reply 18
Original post by psychologyanti
you should do this a-level called 'get a life'

you probably should as you’re lacking human skills

Quick Reply

Latest