The Student Room Group

A levels for PPE course ( philosophy, politics and economics )

Im in year 11, about to do my IGCSE’s and I have to pick my A-levels. I have researched and looked through many options and have found that the PPE ( philosophy, politics and economy ) course fits me best and most importantly Oxford is my dream university.

What A - levels do you most recommend? Im thinking of taking ( Mathematics - not further - economics and history. Are these A-levels the best options to get me into Oxford if I of course get the right grades? Or are there better options?

I did not pick further mathematics or I am against it because I’m not that mathematically advanced and because of a shortage of teachers in our school I could only pick mathematics - foundation - meaning the highest I can get is a 5 on my IGCSE’s , thus it would not be a good idea to take further mathematics.

Thank you.
(edited 1 year ago)
These would be good A-Levels to take. The most important thing is that you do maths and at least one essay subject as this is what Oxford recommends. However, if your school offers either politics or philosophy (which may be called RS at your school but is the same thing essentially) these would also be good choices but not essential. As a warning, it is probably going to be very hard for you to adjust to A-Level maths after only taking maths to foundation, and achieving a grade 5 is likely to be a stumbling block when it comes to your Oxford application. They are looking for people with 8s/9s in most subjects, especially if you go to a private school. This is not to say it's not possible to get in but please don't set your heart on it. It's also worth bearing in mind that there are many other universities that do PPE and don't have as strict academic requirements, e.g. University of York, University of Manchester, Loughborough, Goldsmiths and Leeds.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending