The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Has anyone heard from Manchester yet? They seem to be taking a while...
Do they interview applicants in the UK?
Reply 81
sheffield or southampton?
Reply 82
bristol -AAA
imperial -AAA
warwick -AAB
nottingham -AAB

i was really annoyed at bristol because on the website it said the grades would be around AAB-ABB so i was gutted when i got AAA. coz i wudve put it as my insurance but as imperial is my firm i dunt want 2 risk not getting into uni.

who else got offers from bristol and what was it?
Reply 83
kaycay
bristol -AAA
imperial -AAA
warwick -AAB
nottingham -AAB

i was really annoyed at bristol because on the website it said the grades would be around AAB-ABB so i was gutted when i got AAA. coz i wudve put it as my insurance but as imperial is my firm i dunt want 2 risk not getting into uni.

AAA offer. I know I was so unimpressed as well... but I want to move out of London... so I can't really go to Imperial!
Swansea is my only offer... originally applied for law - Mancs and Cardiff refused to change my course to Civ Eng (places were all taken).

But i'm fine with Swansea, it's pretty decent for Civ Eng isn't it?
Reply 85
kaycay
bristol -AAA
imperial -AAA
warwick -AAB
nottingham -AAB

bristol's my firm for civ eng. they gave me AA but thats only because they aknowledged my extra A Level from year 12 that i got an A in so its effectively an AAA offer. but understandable, theyre one of the best engineering universities in britain.
southampton, bristol, bath, manchester offered me AAB and cambridge missed out! :P my interview was a bit gay imo.

soutampton ~ firm
met my condition for strathclyde and glasgow uni :biggrin:...
going to strathclyde to do it !!..
can't wait !!
Got my IB results, Swansea Civ Eng '09! :biggrin:
Reply 89
How have I not posted here before? :lolwut: Oh well it hardly matters now, details in my sig.
MUFC_thereligion
Azhao,

I was hoping that a succesful cambridge applicant might be able to give me some general advice. I got 4 As in my AS's, perhaps similar to yourself, and will be taking further maths this year. I want to apply for civil engineering but am having trouble narrowing down the choices. Bar oxbridge and imperial reputation doesn't seem to count for much in this degree and all the courses have roughly the same entry requirements. Please Help

Probable choices:

Cambridge(or Oxford more likely cambridge)
Imperial
Bristol
Durham or Warwick or neither for general
(is this a good idea?)
UCL,Bath, Southampton, Nottingham, Manchester

As you can see I'm completely lost past the first 3.Im sure theres been plenty of ppl in this position....HELP A BROTHER OUT!

Many Thanks

i wouldnt go durham or warwick.. not for civil

you should also look into what research the universities do! thats a very important factor, which will be different for each candidate depending on what you're interested in...

bath is also very design based if that makes any difference to you, its pretty linked with the architecture students i think.

and why is bristol a "definite" 3rd? i chose southampton over it :biggrin:
Reply 91
MUFC_thereligion
Azhao,

I was hoping that a succesful cambridge applicant might be able to give me some general advice. I got 4 As in my AS's, perhaps similar to yourself, and will be taking further maths this year. I want to apply for civil engineering but am having trouble narrowing down the choices. Bar oxbridge and imperial reputation doesn't seem to count for much in this degree and all the courses have roughly the same entry requirements. Please Help

Probable choices:

Cambridge(or Oxford more likely cambridge)
Imperial
Bristol
Durham or Warwick or neither for general
(is this a good idea?)
UCL,Bath, Southampton, Nottingham, Manchester

As you can see I'm completely lost past the first 3.Im sure theres been plenty of ppl in this position....HELP A BROTHER OUT!

Many Thanks
I'm sure I already replied to you, don't know where its gone now. No to Durham or Warwick, their Engineering departments aren't too great. Have you considered Sheffield, Cardiff and Loughborough?

Latest