The Student Room Group

RAF - Help re Medical Appeal - Eczema

Any advice would be greatly appreciated in this area.
I have set my heart on joining the RAF , and started the application process last August/Sept. Having done Uni and Travelling.
Passed all exams/ interviews for officer/NCO, and have had great feedback every step of the way.
Then had my private medical through the RAF - all good, passed no problems (apparently) even said I had one of the best hearings that they had had for a long time.
Then the RAF pulled my medical file from my doctor as normal, and they saw something, which I didnt understand, as not been to the docs for about 5 years and am not a sickly person, but they saw something and that it was to be referred to a senior medical officer within the RAF.
I thought it may be a arterial tear that I had repaired due to injury playing cricket when I was 15.
This morning I recieved a email deeming me medically unfit, and the reason given was for a mild case Eczema/skin complaint on my hands in 2011, and I had been perscribed a steriod cream for.
I was 14 at the time, and I am now 27 and because of this I have been deemed medically unfit?
I have looked up admissions re Eczema on many forums and a lot of people have stated i was over a certain amount of years ago (mainly 2 - 5) it will not affect the application? Mine was 13 years ago and as far as I know a minor case, so any advice of any kind or success re appealling would be very much appreciated.
This is the only reason they have giving for me being medically unfit.
I was applying for air traffic/radar.
Thanks for your time in advance
Reply 1
Without knowing your exact medical history it's likely the location of the eczema (hands) that is the issue and that will preclude entry no matter what. Whatever role you've applied for, you will still come into contact with chemicals such as oils as part of your weapons training and that's why they won't take the risk on a reoccurrence.

A appeal has to provide information that is new, different or in addition to that in your records. Rhetorical question, but what can you do to make a case that addresses the reason for rejection?
Original post by Surnia
Without knowing your exact medical history it's likely the location of the eczema (hands) that is the issue and that will preclude entry no matter what. Whatever role you've applied for, you will still come into contact with chemicals such as oils as part of your weapons training and that's why they won't take the risk on a reoccurrence.

A appeal has to provide information that is new, different or in addition to that in your records. Rhetorical question, but what can you do to make a case that addresses the reason for rejection?

Thank you for taking the time to answer.
It was hand involvement in 2011 so the letter states, so I need to investigate and delve further and of course speak to my GP, and find out exactly what it was, and what was written, as I can only imagine it being mild, if eczema at all - as I say I was 14 at the time, now 27 and seems like a lifetime ago.

Quick Reply

Latest