The Student Room Group

What do I need in a laptop for Uni?

I am starting my accounting and finance degree at Cardiff University in 2024 and so I'm beginning to look at a device that can handle all of my needs and wants.
What sort of tasks are done while studying accounting and finance? No doubt there will be general note-taking.

Will I be answering short questions with a few sentences?
Will I be writing essays?
Will I need to draw diagrams, charts, graphs etc?
Will I be often expected to use Microsoft Excel for number spreadsheets (and on a side note do I need to learn to use Excel spreadsheet functions and stuff)
Any further information to questions I haven't thought to ask would be greatly appreciated as well :smile:
Original post by FintanP
I am starting my accounting and finance degree at Cardiff University in 2024 and so I'm beginning to look at a device that can handle all of my needs and wants.
What sort of tasks are done while studying accounting and finance? No doubt there will be general note-taking.

Will I be often expected to use Microsoft Excel for number spreadsheets (and on a side note do I need to learn to use Excel spreadsheet functions and stuff)
Any further information to questions I haven't thought to ask would be greatly appreciated as well :smile:

I haven't done a degree from Cardiff, but I have done a similar degree so I think I can opine what is required.

The following is the link to Cardiff's accounting and finance course:
https://www.cardiff.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/course/accounting-and-finance-bsc
At the time of writing, the links to the information on the modules are broken, so I can't look into what the specific modules are about.

All I can do is infer the contents of the modules based on the titles.

Cardiff's modules are not like Swansea's where you would be covering material that involve a lot of Python programming and handling huge amounts of data, and require very specific code editing software that eats up a lot of hard disk space. Looking through most of the modules, a lot of them are straightforward and involves very little data i.e. a standard laptop should be more than enough for your needs; that is unless you pick the data analysis and modelling modules in Year 3 (I don't know enough about these modules, but they sound very data heavy).

What sort of tasks are done while studying accounting and finance?
Note taking, some calculations, reports, presentations, group work.

The short questions that I have come across tend to either require multiple choices or simple calculations. Any short question that involves writing tend to be about 1-2 paragraphs long. They're not 80k word theses.

More likely reports, since you're doing a business related degree. However, yes you would be doing essays. I don't know of any degree that don't involve essays; even math and computer science degrees would require you to write essays.

I hope so, otherwise it's a very very bad degree.
Accounting requires calculations, and it's very difficult to see what the numbers mean without diagrams, charts, and graphs.
At the very least, you would be covering stats, economics, finance, security analysis, portfolio management. These would all involve graphs of some sort.
Having said that, these are not complicated graphs e.g. you're not being asked to use vector analysis to draw out trajectories in 3 dimensions for example. These can often be done on Excel and under 5 minutes if you know what you're doing. It's straightforward and usually simple.
The first year economic modules will require you to draw out economic diagrams. These are simple shapes on 2D axes. It's like Key Stage 3 level maths.

It would not be an accounting or finance degree if you don't use Excel at all. Excel is a pretty straightfoward and user friendly software.
The number of functions that you need to know on Excel isn't that extensive. When I did my degree, it's usually some formatting functions (e.g. word wrap) and simple sum functions. Having said that, it pays to learn about:

The formula ribbon (see: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eow1HWJfu-Y)

Learn most of the basic functions on the Home ribbon

At the very least learn the chart functions in the Insert ribbon

In terms of formulas, you would primarily be using most of those under AutoSum, and ironically not a lot under Financial. You might use a few under Date & Time and Statistical. For stats, you will likely be using a statistical software (I hope it's SPSS or R Studio, as a lot of them are archaic and a complete pain to use). If my any chance your lecturer is funny and wants you to use Excel to analyse data, you would be asked to use the Data Analysis ToolPak (see: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B60rozw34Sc)

It's helpful to master and learn the whole of Excel (as I consider it to be a life skill), but even in accounting jobs you don't really use it that often since a lot of the calculations you do aren't that mathematical. Unless you're going into something like financial advisory, investment management, investment analysis, and investment banking, you're not even remotely likely to use any of the more advanced functions in Excel.

Any further information to questions I haven't thought to ask would be greatly appreciated as well
I don't know what sort of thing you want to know. It's not that complicated of a degree, especially if you have done A Level Maths. According to the entry requirements, you don't even need that to do the course, so the level of maths you need is equivalent of GCSE or less,
The things that I would recommend any student entering uni to do include:

Learn to speed read (it's a life skill and it saves years of your life)

Learn to touch type (another life skill that will save years of your life, especially if it's slower than 30wpm)

Learn to write academically - I recommend reading How to Write Great Essays by Peter Levin

Learn Microsoft Office - it helps a lot in a number of subjects, but more than not it's more for the mathematical subjects; so you won't use this as much other than for writing essays.

I suspect the answer to all of these is Yes, although many of your essays may be more in the form of case studies and discussion.

(I've only really studied finance/accounts at a vocational/non degree level, and I've had to do all of these)
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 3
Original post by MindMax2000
I haven't done a degree from Cardiff, but I have done a similar degree so I think I can opine what is required.

The following is the link to Cardiff's accounting and finance course:
https://www.cardiff.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/course/accounting-and-finance-bsc
At the time of writing, the links to the information on the modules are broken, so I can't look into what the specific modules are about.

All I can do is infer the contents of the modules based on the titles.

Cardiff's modules are not like Swansea's where you would be covering material that involve a lot of Python programming and handling huge amounts of data, and require very specific code editing software that eats up a lot of hard disk space. Looking through most of the modules, a lot of them are straightforward and involves very little data i.e. a standard laptop should be more than enough for your needs; that is unless you pick the data analysis and modelling modules in Year 3 (I don't know enough about these modules, but they sound very data heavy).

What sort of tasks are done while studying accounting and finance?
Note taking, some calculations, reports, presentations, group work.

The short questions that I have come across tend to either require multiple choices or simple calculations. Any short question that involves writing tend to be about 1-2 paragraphs long. They're not 80k word theses.

More likely reports, since you're doing a business related degree. However, yes you would be doing essays. I don't know of any degree that don't involve essays; even math and computer science degrees would require you to write essays.

I hope so, otherwise it's a very very bad degree.
Accounting requires calculations, and it's very difficult to see what the numbers mean without diagrams, charts, and graphs.
At the very least, you would be covering stats, economics, finance, security analysis, portfolio management. These would all involve graphs of some sort.
Having said that, these are not complicated graphs e.g. you're not being asked to use vector analysis to draw out trajectories in 3 dimensions for example. These can often be done on Excel and under 5 minutes if you know what you're doing. It's straightforward and usually simple.
The first year economic modules will require you to draw out economic diagrams. These are simple shapes on 2D axes. It's like Key Stage 3 level maths.

It would not be an accounting or finance degree if you don't use Excel at all. Excel is a pretty straightfoward and user friendly software.
The number of functions that you need to know on Excel isn't that extensive. When I did my degree, it's usually some formatting functions (e.g. word wrap) and simple sum functions. Having said that, it pays to learn about:

The formula ribbon (see: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eow1HWJfu-Y)

Learn most of the basic functions on the Home ribbon

At the very least learn the chart functions in the Insert ribbon

In terms of formulas, you would primarily be using most of those under AutoSum, and ironically not a lot under Financial. You might use a few under Date & Time and Statistical. For stats, you will likely be using a statistical software (I hope it's SPSS or R Studio, as a lot of them are archaic and a complete pain to use). If my any chance your lecturer is funny and wants you to use Excel to analyse data, you would be asked to use the Data Analysis ToolPak (see: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B60rozw34Sc)

It's helpful to master and learn the whole of Excel (as I consider it to be a life skill), but even in accounting jobs you don't really use it that often since a lot of the calculations you do aren't that mathematical. Unless you're going into something like financial advisory, investment management, investment analysis, and investment banking, you're not even remotely likely to use any of the more advanced functions in Excel.

Any further information to questions I haven't thought to ask would be greatly appreciated as well
I don't know what sort of thing you want to know. It's not that complicated of a degree, especially if you have done A Level Maths. According to the entry requirements, you don't even need that to do the course, so the level of maths you need is equivalent of GCSE or less,
The things that I would recommend any student entering uni to do include:

Learn to speed read (it's a life skill and it saves years of your life)

Learn to touch type (another life skill that will save years of your life, especially if it's slower than 30wpm)

Learn to write academically - I recommend reading How to Write Great Essays by Peter Levin

Learn Microsoft Office - it helps a lot in a number of subjects, but more than not it's more for the mathematical subjects; so you won't use this as much other than for writing essays.

Wow, thanks for all the help and advice. The key thing for me is that I want to get a 2 in 1 laptop to use as both a tablet with digital pen and a laptop.

I will also learn excel as that's something I've always wanted to do and I agree that's a good life skill.
One thing I don't look forward to so much but I will follow your advice is reading Peter Levin's book on how to write great essays.
Original post by FintanP
Wow, thanks for all the help and advice. The key thing for me is that I want to get a 2 in 1 laptop to use as both a tablet with digital pen and a laptop.

I will also learn excel as that's something I've always wanted to do and I agree that's a good life skill.
One thing I don't look forward to so much but I will follow your advice is reading Peter Levin's book on how to write great essays.

The key thing for me is that I want to get a 2 in 1 laptop to use as both a tablet with digital pen and a laptop.
I personally don't like the 2 in 1s; I consider them low value for money. However, the capacities in them is more than enough for what you would be doing in your degree. You can struggle if you are using a 20 year old laptop that's still running on Windows XP though; but even then it should still be more than enough.

How do you intend to learn this?
There are 2 types of nationally and internationally recognised qualifications for this:

MOS certifications by Microsoft

ICDL certifications

I took the MOS certifications, because anything by anybody else means very little to employers (plus you can't say someone else's qualifications on your software is better than your qualification on your software; that's stupidity and arrogance on another level).
If you want to follow Excel Tutorials, then I recommend ExcelisFun; I find some of his videos annoying, but his skills on Excel is good; they're not quite skills that professional accountants would use, but it's helpful to know if you're in a tight spot. Mike Grivin also wrote 2 books on Excel that might be worth getting (I'm trying to get second hand copies, but they're not that common funnily enough).

Academic writing is not something that people get excited about, I get that. However, it's a necessary step to getting the grades you deserve at uni. It's funny because universities demand you do things the way they want them, even if your answer is completely valid (it's similar for a lot of academic courses). For example, you can be writing a first class essay (like an A at university), but because it's not written in an academic way, you could be awarded a 2:2 (like a C) - I say this because I seen too many of my former classmates fall for the same mistake. You wouldn't want to do yourself a disservice when you don't need to, and you definitely don't want to make the mistake unnecessarily when it counts.
The way Levin wrote his book is very reader friendly, and he wrote in a very down to earth way. You can read it in an afternoon, despite it being about 100 pages.
Reply 5
I hadn't considered a professional certification for excel but it's a great idea now you mention it. I will look into the MOS and ICDL respectively.
It's also useful to know that the idea of "exam technique" or in this case "essay technique" is something carried Through from A-Levels to university so thank you for that piece of info.

As for your opinion on 2 in 1 laptops I don't disagree with you. Its nice to know that almost any device will function strong enough for uni. I am just a bit of a tech enjoyer so will still buy a decent laptop for my studies. its necessary anyways since my current device is a Chromebook which (correct me if I'm wrong) won't suffice for uni based on the need to use Microsoft 365.
(even if it did get by I'd want to upgrade coz it's a bit of a "getting by" piece of tech by my standards.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending