The Student Room Group

KCL Dentistry 2024 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Does anybody know if they mentioned during their open day if they will differentiate between 8’s and 9’s for GCSE’s this year
Reply 21
Original post by Ibbethy
Does anybody know if they mentioned during their open day if they will differentiate between 8’s and 9’s for GCSE’s this year

Yes I went, they said both 8s & 9s are equivalent to A* so they don't differentiate between the two.
Reply 22
Original post by Sufyan.L
Yes I went, they said both 8s & 9s are equivalent to A* so they don't differentiate between the two.

Ah okay thanks a lot, was only asking because I heard from someone else that during the open day they said they may start differentiating between them this year
Reply 23
hi,
do i have a chance with a 2700 ucat band 1 and AAA predicted and 9999888877or gcses?
Reply 24
Original post by choco1234
hi,
do i have a chance with a 2700 ucat band 1 and AAA predicted and 9999888877or gcses?

According to their website. It’s a combination of GCSE -you have all A* as they take top 8. Thus makes up 50% of your score. The UCAT is 40%. Then 10% contextual. So, I’d guess you have a very good chance. They look at PS too. Where else are you putting?
Reply 25
Original post by Jetjo123
According to their website. It’s a combination of GCSE -you have all A* as they take top 8. Thus makes up 50% of your score. The UCAT is 40%. Then 10% contextual. So, I’d guess you have a very good chance. They look at PS too. Where else are you putting?

thank you!
not too sure at the moment, thinking maybe leeds? but still debating tbh.
for kcl, how do you get the 10% contextual points like what do they look at to give contextual points - is it postcode by any chance?
(edited 6 months ago)
Reply 26
thank you!
not too sure at the moment, thinking maybe leeds? but still debating tbh.
for kcl, how do you get the 10% contextual points like what do they look at to give contextual points - is it postcode by any chance?

I think so. They said they get it off the UCAS form. They have courses people can do too which qualifies them. There’s a section on UCAS for these. It’s only 10% though, whereas GCSE are 50%. So I’m not sure how much of a difference it makes. They don’t make contextual offers though. I’m not contextual so I sort of switch off at those bits. 2700 is a good score you’ll be fine. If you’re contextual Manchester might be worth looking at.
Reply 27
I think so. They said they get it off the UCAS form. They have courses people can do too which qualifies them. There’s a section on UCAS for these. It’s only 10% though, whereas GCSE are 50%. So I’m not sure how much of a difference it makes. They don’t make contextual offers though. I’m not contextual so I sort of switch off at those bits. 2700 is a good score you’ll be fine. If you’re contextual Manchester might be worth looking at.

do you have to have A*AA predicted?
Or would AAA work?
and also do you know where i could find the way that kcl score applicants online :smile:
Reply 28
hi,

firstly, ur ucat us too weak so you don't have a chance and secondly you need A*AA or else you will be instantly rejected
Reply 29
Original post by hadi_
firstly, ur ucat us too weak so you don't have a chance and secondly you need A*AA or else you will be instantly rejected

care to explain why my ucat is "too weak" ??
Reply 30
care to explain why my ucat is "too weak" ??

you realistically need a minimum of 2.75+ but 2m8 would be better
Reply 31
do you have to have A*AA predicted?
Or would AAA work?
and also do you know where i could find the way that kcl score applicants online :smile:

Well it’s on their website under how they assess, you might be able to look in their admissions statement. Maybe e-mail them about the predicted grades. I don’t like to advise people, best is ask them directly, bc it’s a personal choice where to apply and lots of factors to consider. I do think with your GCSEs being strong and a good UCAT plus you’re contextual - you’ll be fine for an interview - but idk about the A*. Usually they say must meet minimum requirements, that is usually one. But some say if you’re contextual you have to be within one of the minimum. Idk much about contextual though. I’m sorry. I’ll read the website and see what it says.
Reply 32
Original post by hadi_
you realistically need a minimum of 2.75+ but 2m8 would be better

How do you know? It’s holistic at Kings. They have good GCSE. That’s 50%. The UCAT is 40% of the score. People with lower than 2700 got interviews before. Perhaps their PS is good.
I agree about the A*
Saying you need 2800 is it just your opinion or do you have evidence? If you do have evidence could you share it please?
Reply 33
How do you know? It’s holistic at Kings. They have good GCSE. That’s 50%. The UCAT is 40% of the score. People with lower than 2700 got interviews before. Perhaps their PS is good.
I agree about the A*
Saying you need 2800 is it just your opinion or do you have evidence? If you do have evidence could you share it please?

they aren't extremely holistic, like they don't rank PS or A levels, people who got interviews lower than 2700 would've either been contextual or they applied 2021 and before, 2812 was the average score invited to interview in 2022 but even if you just looked at last year's thread on kcl you could see that 2700 was not good enough. KCL also works using a point system so max gcses cant make up for a somewhat weak ucat even if they had band 1
Reply 34
Original post by hadi_
they aren't extremely holistic, like they don't rank PS or A levels, people who got interviews lower than 2700 would've either been contextual or they applied 2021 and before, 2812 was the average score invited to interview in 2022 but even if you just looked at last year's thread on kcl you could see that 2700 was not good enough. KCL also works using a point system so max gcses cant make up for a somewhat weak ucat even if they had band 1

Do you know what score is given to an 8/9? Do you know if they allocate a score to the UCAT based on deciles (like Belfast)? Presumably for contextuals getting the 10% they gross that up? Bc based on their website they score 50:40:10 and review the PS. I just checked. Student room from last year I haven’t read it. Maybe I should.
Reply 35
Do you know what score is given to an 8/9? Do you know if they allocate a score to the UCAT based on deciles (like Belfast)? Presumably for contextuals getting the 10% they gross that up? Bc based on their website they score 50:40:10 and review the PS. I just checked. Student room from last year I haven’t read it. Maybe I should.

yes like belfast they rank your ucat score in decides, e.g 2740-2790 would be 70 etc

They don't differentiate between 8/9 so if you have 8 8s you receive the maximum amount of points for gcses which is 68.

they check the PS for 3 specific things I'm pretty sure, should be on their website
Reply 36
Original post by hadi_
yes like belfast they rank your ucat score in decides, e.g 2740-2790 would be 70 etc

They don't differentiate between 8/9 so if you have 8 8s you receive the maximum amount of points for gcses which is 68.

they check the PS for 3 specific things I'm pretty sure, should be on their website

Thanks!!!!!
So 68(?) is full marks? They give 8.5 marks to a grade 8/9. Odd.
Is the 70 you quoted based on prelim deciles? Say If 2790 goes into the next to the top decile, where it was comfortably last year (top 15%) does that mean it goes up from 70 points to 80?
What about the 10% contextual. do they just gross up the total score above?
If this is all correct presumably rather than a UCAT cut off there would be a points cut off - like Belfast.
But I’ve seen no mention of it anywhere. Do you know what that was?
How did you get this information- I can’t see it anywhere? I’m very grateful for it btw
Reply 37
Thanks!!!!!
So 68(?) is full marks? They give 8.5 marks to a grade 8/9. Odd.
Is the 70 you quoted based on prelim deciles? Say If 2790 goes into the next to the top decile, where it was comfortably last year (top 15%) does that mean it goes up from 70 points to 80?
What about the 10% contextual. do they just gross up the total score above?
If this is all correct presumably rather than a UCAT cut off there would be a points cut off - like Belfast.
But I’ve seen no mention of it anywhere. Do you know what that was?
How did you get this information- I can’t see it anywhere? I’m very grateful for it btw

I said the 70 as a hypothetical but it could be true but yes u get points for ur ucat based on the decile ur in which is ONLY based on who applies to kcl that given year, this info is from a website called WhatDoTheyKnow
Reply 38
Original post by hadi_
I said the 70 as a hypothetical but it could be true but yes u get points for ur ucat based on the decile ur in which is ONLY based on who applies to kcl that given year, this info is from a website called WhatDoTheyKnow

Thanks. I’ve read all last years chat and the FOI information. But if an eye opener and the website isn’t really telling the whole picture. Unless you go to an underperforming school and have contextual flags you need a huge UCAT. I’m crossing them off!
Reply 39
does anyone know how they give out contextual points out of the 20 - eg. if you are eligible for one thing like living in a polar quintle 1 area in england do you get all 20 points?

Quick Reply

Latest