The Student Room Group

Changing GCSE topics in May year 10

Hey, I took French in year 10 and I regret it now, I only took it because I thought It would help me get into a good university but I just found out you can do that without taking a language, The thing is my French is 0% and I’m not exaggerating, this is my second year studying in the uk ( year 9 and this year) so obviously I’ve never done French before so as you can imagine my French Is just horrible.
It’s currently may and I really wanna change, French is obviously not a compulsory subject so am I gonna be able to change it if I put some pressure on them?
I wanna change to ethics, and most of GCSE year 10 is about Islam and Christianity and I have a lot of knowledge about it since I’m a Muslim myself so it wouldn’t be difficult for me to catch up at all.
Please give me an answer.
Thanks.
Reply 1
Original post by Lima729
Hey, I took French in year 10 and I regret it now, I only took it because I thought It would help me get into a good university but I just found out you can do that without taking a language, The thing is my French is 0% and I’m not exaggerating, this is my second year studying in the uk ( year 9 and this year) so obviously I’ve never done French before so as you can imagine my French Is just horrible.
It’s currently may and I really wanna change, French is obviously not a compulsory subject so am I gonna be able to change it if I put some pressure on them?
I wanna change to ethics, and most of GCSE year 10 is about Islam and Christianity and I have a lot of knowledge about it since I’m a Muslim myself so it wouldn’t be difficult for me to catch up at all.
Thanks.

If you’re confident you won’t get a good grade, I recommend switching ASAP. Year 10 is when you can still change, but when you move to y11 it’s pretty much pointless
Original post by Lima729
Thanks.

Hi, I'm sorry to hear that you are going through a tough time. The changing policy really depends on your school. If you don't like French you can drop it as long as you do enough GCSEs or your school might allow switching but you should act soon and it would be a lot of work to catch up. I understand that languages can be hard as I did French for one session and I saw I don't know anything!
Reply 3
Original post by Mohammad_2005
Hi, I'm sorry to hear that you are going through a tough time. The changing policy really depends on your school. If you don't like French you can drop it as long as you do enough GCSEs or your school might allow switching but you should act soon and it would be a lot of work to catch up. I understand that languages can be hard as I did French for one session and I saw I don't know anything!

I took French, Triple science, History, Art (and other compulsory topics) so will that be enough to drop it if they don’t let me change?
Reply 4
Original post by kyunniez
If you’re confident you won’t get a good grade, I recommend switching ASAP. Year 10 is when you can still change, but when you move to y11 it’s pretty much pointless

yes I’m confident and even if I pass it will be a REALLY hard pass, But i don’t know if they’ll let me change since it’s May (which i think it might be pretty late) Tomorrow my parents are gonna talk to the school for changes since the school said it’s pretty late when I asked them but they might change it if we pressure them.

Quick Reply

Latest