The Student Room Group

I am a student in Y9(going into y10) want to achieve top grades.

I am going into Y10 after summer and to achieve top grades in my gcses I am planning to start revision early maybe start/middle of Y10.(when I say revision I don't mean long sittings just short sessions couple days a week. When this time comes how should i revise? Should I only recap things I did in school or can I go ahead from school and learn topics on my own? I was thinking if I knew topics earlier it would give me an advantage(correct me if I'm wrong). Please give feedback.

ps- trust me i will still be enjoying my younger years i just want to guarantee a good future for me without a lot of stress.
Reply 1
If you really want to do lots of revision then just do an extra 30mins to an hour of any topics you were doing in class that you found tricky, or just something you feel like you've forgotten. I wouldn't try and learn anything extra until at least the start of Yr 11, because there are so many things you'll probably get taught that you may have already seen, which could make the lessons more boring and you won't try as hard.
Original post by js234
I am going into Y10 after summer and to achieve top grades in my gcses I am planning to start revision early maybe start/middle of Y10.(when I say revision I don't mean long sittings just short sessions couple days a week. When this time comes how should i revise? Should I only recap things I did in school or can I go ahead from school and learn topics on my own? I was thinking if I knew topics earlier it would give me an advantage(correct me if I'm wrong). Please give feedback.

ps- trust me i will still be enjoying my younger years i just want to guarantee a good future for me without a lot of stress.

Hi! I'm going into year 10 soon so I understand how you feel!
My advice would be that when you start revision in year 10, you go over weak topics or just the general topics you covered that year and maybe make summarised notes/flashcards for you to refer to if you study that topic again in year 10/11.

On the basis of studying topics earlier, I would say just to go over the topic very lightly - maybe watch a video explanation of it or read a revision guide, but don't go too in depth, because it might make you feel overwhelmed and it won't give you a significant help in lessons - just know what stuff you may learn about or an outline of it.
I learn most of the stuff at school on my own at home, but that's only after going through it at school, so I sort of use the lessons at school to give myself a foundation understanding of the topic (which makes my revision slightly easier as I can just expand on that understanding).

My tips for revision would 100% be to use the specification (no matter what subject it is, the specifications always help), and it basically gives you a topic checklist of everything you need to know for exams. Also, with particular mention to science, know your practicals and equations! (these almost always come up in science exams). Doing practice questions are also great to familiarise yourself with the style of questions being asked, so I highly recommend that too, and there's lots of resources online like mme revise and pmt which have questions and answers to try. And if at any point you feel overwhelmed with trying to understand a topic, then video explanations are the best way to teach you the stuff (if you have bad teachers).

I hope that helps and good luck!
Original post by js234

I've reached the end of Year 10, about to enter mock season, and my revision has been extremely laid-back. However, I'm predicted 8s and 9s in all of my subjects, in which I'm expected to achieve all 9s. Further, this is at a state school and, alas, I do not possess an intellect superior to all of my peers.

But what did I do to garner these results?

At the end of Year 9, I remember watching a lot of Ali Abdaal, and this taught me the basis of different revision techniques.
I also watched different maths youtubers, like Presh Talwalkar, BPRP and PreMath, and have continued to do so throughout Year 10.
Watching these youtube videos rekindled my desire to learn after COVID, allowing me to achieve gold in various maths and computing competitions. It also gave me the confidence to gain level 2 qualifications, through teaching maths and science lessons.

Believe me, when I was in Year 9 I was preparing to do revision throughout Year 10 and 11, but now I don't see the point in it. Sure, you can do the occasional recap, but I would advocate learning > revision. By this, I mean learn new content instead of revising old content. This will teach you a deeper appreciation for the subject, even if you don't remember the new content after.

A few key points for Year 10:

Try to join a sports club and an intellectual club - this can be in or outside of school.
Read - this is the only way to succeed in English.
Email your teachers if you're stuck - they're here to help you.
Answer questions in class, you don't have to be extremely extroverted or even answer the question correctly, but please try.

One final note:
Everything piece of advice everyone gives you will be specific to them - you will have to try a lot of different options before you find what works.

Also, PM me if you need any help at specific subjects. :biggrin:
Reply 4
Original post by js234

Heya!

Starting revision early in Year 10 is a proactive approach towards achieving top grades in your GCSEs :h: It's beneficial to both recap what you learn in school and explore topics ahead on your own. By gaining a solid understanding of upcoming topics, you can establish a strong foundation and potentially have an advantage when studying and revising later on. However, make sure to balance your studies with other activities to maintain a healthy and enjoyable school experience! If it helps, Study mind has lots of free resources you can use!

I hope this helps!
Milena
UCL PFE
Study Mind
Reply 5
Original post by js234
I am going into Y10 after summer

So you're not going into Year 12?

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7383504#post98701429

Quick Reply

Latest