The Student Room Group

worried im going to fail my gsces and not get into the college i want

I'm in year 10 right now. on the mock exam this year, i apparently got a 5 in physics and a 5 in biology but im unsure what i got in chemistry.
but i know i didnt do well in chemistry or physics, i didn't know what was going on in half the paper, i didn't know how to rearrange the equations or anything

chemistry is really difficult for me despite how long i spent revising for it (although my revision then was just writing it all down and going over it)
i feel like im going to fail these subjects if i dont revise constantly.

i need 5 5s to get into the college i want; i'm good at essay based subjects; i got a seven in that english mock but im not sure about the sciences
advice? :frown:
Reply 1
Original post by kylantwom
I'm in year 10 right now. on the mock exam this year, i apparently got a 5 in physics and a 5 in biology but im unsure what i got in chemistry.
but i know i didnt do well in chemistry or physics, i didn't know what was going on in half the paper, i didn't know how to rearrange the equations or anything

chemistry is really difficult for me despite how long i spent revising for it (although my revision then was just writing it all down and going over it)
i feel like im going to fail these subjects if i dont revise constantly.

i need 5 5s to get into the college i want; i'm good at essay based subjects; i got a seven in that english mock but im not sure about the sciences
advice? :frown:

Hi there.

Worrying about your grades is normal and shows that you care. You may have done better than you expect but for now it's best to wait until you get your results. Try not to stress as it won't change what's happened and remember that you still have time to improve. You could ask for additional support from your teachers or try different learning methods e.g. past papers, YouTube videos, flashcards etc. to help improve your grade.

Hope this makes sense.
Best wishes. :smile:
Reply 2
@triplexA

Original post by TriplexA
Hi there.

Worrying about your grades is normal and shows that you care. You may have done better than you expect but for now it's best to wait until you get your results. Try not to stress as it won't change what's happened and remember that you still have time to improve. You could ask for additional support from your teachers or try different learning methods e.g. past papers, YouTube videos, flashcards etc. to help improve your grade.

Hope this makes sense.
Best wishes. :smile:

I couldn't agree anymore. Worrying and stressing won't solve anything. Just try different study techniques and find which one works best. Youtube is also your friend ❤️ I hope it all turns out alright.
Reply 3
Hi!

I finished my GCSEs last year (currently in year 12) and I can say from experience that you have a LOT of time before your exams- being concerned about them now is a good sign but I would say not to stress about passing because in year 11 most of your learning for about a month or two before your GCSEs will just be revision of all the topics.

if you're really struggling with chemistry and physics, I found that there are lots of youtube videos made by teachers and examiners to help you understand different topics. In terms of how effective your revision is, I'd recommend doing active revision (past paper questions- I found loads on a website called Physics and Maths Tutor here: https://www.physicsandmathstutor.com/ ) because then you learn much better. This also helps you just learn what the examiners are looking for, because at the end of the day you might know everything but still miss out on marks because the exam mark schemes want specific wording or phrases to get the marks. (ALSO- you don't need to understand everything fully to get great grades! I barely understood any Physics for GCSE and I managed to scrape a 9 just because I'd done heaps of past paper questions and learnt what gets marks and what doesn't! So make sure you look for what your exam board wants in answers)

good luck in your exams- just make sure you don't stress too much now, you have a whole year to improve and by the sound of it you're a very hard worker and determined to get good grades! make sure not to burn out and you'll do absolutely fine :smile:
listen a mock is just to give u a little taste of what the exam in june will be like it doesn't necessary mean that the grade u get in the mock is the same grade u will get for gcse. Just take the mock as a guidance and find out what went wrong and just revise. revise and go to ur teacher for help.

Quick Reply

Latest