The Student Room Group

doing my GCSEs but worrying abt university

I'm not even going to apply to university until 2025 maybe even further if I decide to take a year off to build my CV, work, etc. However, seeing all the people who applied for A100(medicine) on a forum talk about rejection from universities has got me stressing. I've wanted to be a doctor my whole life whether that's a psychiatrist, dermatologist, whatever. I can never imagine doing another job and I don't have a back-up idea. ICL especially has been my dream since i found out about it in year 8 despite it's low acceptance rate. I can't stop focusing on this instead of my gcses which are taking place rn. I need help to stop thinking abt it.
Reply 1
Well I think you gotta link them together. You need to understand that you need to perform well in GCSEs to be able to get to do the subjects you want at A level because if you're not studying medicine and science subjects at A level, its likely it will be much harder for you to be able to study medicine at university.

One of my friends only just passed her science GCSEs and she didn't meet the threshold requirement to be able to study it at A level (which was a 6, but she got a 4). This meant that instead of being able to do an A level in her science subject she had to do a BTEC. this really made her struggle when applying to uni because a lot of them didn't accept the course she did as it wasn't seen to be at a high enough level.

So maybe it is good that you're thinking about it because it'll help motivate you to do well at GCSEs to be able to actually study it post-16 and therefore you're chances of uni are much higher.

Also, absolutely loads of people that I know are going on to study medicine-related subjects at uni, don't stress too much about it. I promise if you work for it, you'll get it 100%

Quick Reply

Latest