The Student Room Group

Thoughts on globalisation and education as the 30 mark question?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by ayyhsvalosbbi
I don't understand action theories could you please explain it to me

It's basically just Becker's labelling theory + self fulfilling prophecy (which is supported by Rosenthal and Jacobson's study, or criticised by Fuller's study), his unstructured interview leading to the halo effect and ideal pupil, warm and cool climates, Ray Rist and arms length/tigers and clowns, setting and streaming, Gillborn and Youdell's Educational triage, and then subcultures (we went over Willis, Mac an Ghaill, Lacey and Sewell, but there are different examples) - and then you can link pretty much anything from internal factors on achievement! It seems like a lot but most of them interlink and argue similar things. If there's anything in particular you don't understand let me know and I can explain in more detail :smile:
Reply 21
Original post by ayyhsvalosbbi
I don't understand action theories could you please explain it to me

The main action theory we learn about is interpretivism, which looks at how we shape our worlds based on our interactions with others. So for example the looking glass self, Becker's labelling theory, and Goffman's dramaturgical model.
There's also phenomenology (the idea that society is made by people and how they interpret the world) and ethnomethodology (looks at how social order is produced through processes of social interaction)
Reply 22
Remember, they may ask about in school processes - like teacher-pupil interactions, labelling and anti-school subcultures. Since all aspects of DEA have come up before as 30s, in-school processes involves gender, ethnicity and social class together!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending