The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
They're both the same in terms of quality/respect.
It's just that Media Studies is about all types of media, whereas Film Studies (as the name suggests) focuses on film. :smile:
Reply 2
There's only one way to find out.

FIIIIIIIIGHT!

(I make this response to threads several times a week.)
Reply 3
Dont be put off doing it because lots of people say it's a 'less-respected' degree. Sure, it might not be as respected or hard as some science subjects, but if you think you'd enjoy the course, then what's the problem? :smile:
They're pretty much on equal par on terms of what is 'better'.. media studies is just more broad.
I'm doing sociology, with media and culture, and one of our modules is Intro to Film Studies, and it's really interesting.
I much prefer film studies, but that's just my personal opinion
Reply 5
I like Tom's idea of a fight!! :biggrin: but Media is much better!! If your on about A-levels, defo pick media, both frowned upon, unless you wanna do some film sort of degree. But yeah, Media c/w is quite fun. Just finished my music video...A :biggrin:

Anyways, In AS we did fun stuff whereas my friend doing Film studies at college said how he watched films (Y) then wrote loads of boring essays on lighting etc (N)!
Reply 6
TBH, I wouldn't really respect either of them, or english for that matter. I just can't see how you are better off after 4 years of anylising films... it seems a very expensive degree to do for 'interest', seeing as graduate jobs are few and far between. But if you enjoy it and you think it's worth the tuition fees then no one can convince you otherwise, so your question has already been answered, hasn't it?
Reply 7
Oh it's for your degree! I wouldn't do film studies at degree level! Love media but not a chance i'm doing it at uni! Everyone does it and are jobless. Why the combined, lit is respected (a-level) but don't graduates find it hard to get jobs?
Reply 8
To be honest, you're doing an English Lit degree, and although people don't like to admit it, that's almost the same thing as doing media/film. You'll spend enough time watching and analysing film and media in English for you not to need to take a joint honours, believe me.

Having said that, I feel that both are on an equal par otherwise, in terms of respect. Just take English. :smile:
Dijobla
To be honest, you're doing an English Lit degree, and although people don't like to admit it, that's almost the same thing as doing media/film. You'll spend enough time watching and analysing film and media in English for you not to need to take a joint honours, believe me.

Having said that, I feel that both are on an equal par otherwise, in terms of respect. Just take English. :smile:

^ I don't think English Lit is almost the same as doing media/film at all. Yes, you may get to analyse films in the course, but that is a small part of the course. You tackle some very difficult written texts.

To the OP: if you like English Lit, you could consider seeing if the course has some modules in Film that you could take, to get a BA English Lit degree, instead of combined honours. But if you are really into film, I would do the English Lit and Film Studies degree.

Hope this helps.
Reply 10
cc15
^ I don't think English Lit is almost the same as doing media/film at all. Yes, you may get to analyse films in the course, but that is a small part of the course. You tackle some very difficult written texts.

To the OP: if you like English Lit, you could consider seeing if the course has some modules in Film that you could take, to get a BA English Lit degree, instead of combined honours. But if you are really into film, I would do the English Lit and Film Studies degree.

Hope this helps.

You tackle difficult films in film studies. Forget about the context, it's the same thing.

All I'm saying is that unless the OP is 100% sure she/he wants to work in film or media specifically, take English Lit. All the skills you learn from either of those degrees you can learn in English Lit, and essentially those skills are analysing texts, albeit in different forms. But I think you'd enjoy either one you take, because they're so similar... English Lit is just a much more respected degree.
Reply 11
People who think they can become a director off a media studies degree annoy me. Just a random comment
Reply 12
for a level they are probably the same although imo film studies is a little more harder in terms of essays etc. media probably has a greater range and is a little better known though, film is fun though

but for degree o god don't do any what the hell could you do with it for gods sake lool if its fun and you enjoy it go for it but SERIOUSLY look at job prospects first...
Reply 13
I do both Media and Film. Personally, I prefer Film, but Media is good aswell, plus it covers all forms of Media like music, magazines, British film industry etc.
lmao what a thread
Reply 15
Choosing between Media Studies and Film Studies is like choosing between cancer and AIDS.
Reply 16
walrusgod
Choosing between Media Studies and Film Studies is like choosing between cancer and AIDS.

Neither of which you know the cure to so stop acting like a smug bastard.
Reply 17
Dijobla

indeed, let ppl study what they wish this is why people become so confused going to uni - oooo will i be ok etc.
Dijobla

Hmm, inferiority complex much?

note how you still find this funny;
Location: London, England, UK, Europe, Earth, Milky Way, The Universe...
Reply 19
Dijobla

You'd be acting like a smug bastard too if you got 10 A* at I/GCSE without revising :wink:

Latest

Trending

Trending