The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
fieryiceissweet
Hmm, inferiority complex much?

I don't have an inferiority complex. I'm not even studying Media, or Film, or even English Lit. I'm applying for Architecture. It just annoys me when people feel the need to take the piss out of other peoples educational choices.

note how you still find this funny;
Location: London, England, UK, Europe, Earth, Milky Way, The Universe...

I don't know what that has to do with anything. It's a loosely accurate description of my location. Not a joke. I'm not an aspiring comedienne.
Reply 21
Cadge
Which one is better, or are they both the same?

I know media studies is looked down upon, but I dno much about film studies.

I'm doing English Lit and film studies combined next year so i shud be okay......shudn't I ?

I took both.

I have A's in both.

I also took both in one year but that's just because I'm ***** like that.

Film Studies is considerably harder than Media Studies (and English Lit, which I also took...and got an A in), it is also more respected amongst the academic community as well as gaining validity year on year in terms of respectability in general. I found it very enjoyable and academically challenging.

Media Studies is VERY much like English Lit.....learn a bit of terminology + blagging for 8 pages = A. Film Studies requires you to re-think the way you think about film, because unlike literature when you "read" a film you do it almost subliminally and you have to learn to deconstruct the codes, whereas in literature and certainly 'great' literature...those codes are already the subject of a thousand and one academic text books. Film is constantly evolving and there are a lot more aspects to it to understand contextually than simple history - it combines skills learnt in subjects such as English Lit, Economics, Media Studies, Sociology, Psychology and arguably Politics. Fair enough....English Lit does too.. but people have been studying literature for centuries, unless you're at PHD level there's very little room for innovative thought. Film has only existed for about 130 years...it's practically brand new and we're still deciphering what it means as a staple of our culture.

What I'm trying to say is....easy A - take media, slightly harder but a lot more interesting A - take film, same A as everyone else - take English.

Meh, I'm a film geek. Go me.
Reply 22
Valkyrja
I took both.

I have A's in both.

I also took both in one year but that's just because I'm ***** like that.

Film Studies is considerably harder than Media Studies (and English Lit, which I also took...and got an A in), it is also more respected amongst the academic community as well as gaining validity year on year in terms of respectability in general. I found it very enjoyable and academically challenging.

Media Studies is VERY much like English Lit.....learn a bit of terminology + blagging for 8 pages = A. Film Studies requires you to re-think the way you think about film, because unlike literature when you "read" a film you do it almost subliminally and you have to learn to deconstruct the codes, whereas in literature and certainly 'great' literature...those codes are already the subject of a thousand and one academic text books. Film is constantly evolving and there are a lot more aspects to it to understand contextually than simple history - it combines skills learnt in subjects such as English Lit, Economics, Media Studies, Sociology, Psychology and arguably Politics. Fair enough....English Lit does too.. but people have been studying literature for centuries, unless you're at PHD level there's very little room for innovative thought. Film has only existed for about 130 years...it's practically brand new and we're still deciphering what it means as a staple of our culture.

What I'm trying to say is....easy A - take media, slightly harder but a lot more interesting A - take film, same A as everyone else - take English.

Meh, I'm a film geek. Go me.

Your slightly confident with the whole easy A thing, but i agree with most of what you say. Though Film Studies as an A-Level won't be respected for a VERY long time, if ever really. SImply because you watch films, but yeah, it is like lit actually.
I got an A in media, be very confused if i don't get it again this year (13) all i need is decents D's in the exams now!!
What's your favourite film, was my point of posting though! :rolleyes:
Reply 23
tomtom:)
Your slightly confident with the whole easy A thing, but i agree with most of what you say. Though Film Studies as an A-Level won't be respected for a VERY long time, if ever really. SImply because you watch films, but yeah, it is like lit actually.
I got an A in media, be very confused if i don't get it again this year (13) all i need is decents D's in the exams now!!
What's your favourite film, was my point of posting though! :rolleyes:

hehe I'm a bit of a douche at times....have quite an inflated ego because I have low self confidence....scuse me.

Anyhoo

Favourite film...ermmmmm

Toss up between...

Delicatessen - jeunet & caro
Conspirators of Pleasure - svankmajer
Citizen Kane
City of God
Angel-A

Gah

I'm going on.....if forced I'll say delicatessen but I LOVE film far too much to just pick one.

Yourself?
Reply 24
Valkyrja
hehe I'm a bit of a douche at times....have quite an inflated ego because I have low self confidence....scuse me.

Anyhoo

Favourite film...ermmmmm

Toss up between...

Delicatessen - jeunet & caro
Conspirators of Pleasure - svankmajer
Citizen Kane
City of God
Angel-A

Gah

I'm going on.....if forced I'll say delicatessen but I LOVE film far too much to just pick one.

Yourself?

The Guardian
Batman the Dark Knight, so much better than expected, and I thought i'd be good.
Remember the Titans is quite good.
Can't really think of any now. Ooh the Prestige is good also. :smile: I'm not a blockbuster film fan, just my mind's gione blank! JUST GOT AN OFFER!!!! :biggrin:
yosrush
TBH, I wouldn't really respect either of them, or english for that matter

What???
Reply 26
tomtom:)
The Guardian
Batman the Dark Knight, so much better than expected, and I thought i'd be good.
Remember the Titans is quite good.
Can't really think of any now. Ooh the Prestige is good also. :smile: I'm not a blockbuster film fan, just my mind's gione blank! JUST GOT AN OFFER!!!! :biggrin:

Congratulations!

What you studying? You've probably already said or it's in your sig.....excuse me I've been staring at ableton all day listening to reversed hawaiian music...my head's quite mushy.
Dijobla
You tackle difficult films in film studies. Forget about the context, it's the same thing.

All I'm saying is that unless the OP is 100% sure she/he wants to work in film or media specifically, take English Lit. All the skills you learn from either of those degrees you can learn in English Lit, and essentially those skills are analysing texts, albeit in different forms. But I think you'd enjoy either one you take, because they're so similar... English Lit is just a much more respected degree.

I thought you meant that English Literature and Film Studies were along the same lines in terms of respectability, which I disagreed with. I now see from this post that we are in agreement :smile:

I also agree with you that the OP should take English Lit, as the skills gained from it are similar (like you say) and it is a more well-respected, well-rounded degree that will generally open more doors, in my opinion.
Reply 29
cc15
I thought you meant that English Literature and Film Studies were along the same lines in terms of respectability, which I disagreed with. I now see from this post that we are in agreement :smile:

I also agree with you that the OP should take English Lit, as the skills gained from it are similar (like you say) and it is a more well-respected, well-rounded degree that will generally open more doors, in my opinion.

As the OP, I just want to say that I do 100% want to work in the film industry. I assure you I'm not one of those fame wannabes, I really am interested in careers it has to offer, and I see my ambition to be a director more of a lifetime achievement AT THE END of a good career in the film industry. Rather than something I'm expecting to do straight after I leave uni. I was kinda hoping for roles in editing or film researching.

If you have something to aim for n life, however optimistic, you'll make more of a progress than if you didn't.

I felt that film studies would give an advantage as I'd have a good knowledge of both literature AND film, as opposed to just one. Maybe not needed at other industries,but I'm hoping the film industry would think that both would be valuable.

NOT THAT YOUR OPINIONS ARE WRONG! I MAY BE MISTAKEN.
Reply 30
Cadge
As the OP, I just want to say that I do 100% want to work in the film industry. I assure you I'm not one of those fame wannabes, I really am interested in careers it has to offer, and I see my ambition to be a director more of a lifetime achievement AT THE END of a good career in the film industry. Rather than something I'm expecting to do straight after I leave uni. I was kinda hoping for roles in editing or film researching.

If you have something to aim for n life, however optimistic, you'll make more of a progress than if you didn't.

I felt that film studies would give an advantage as I'd have a good knowledge of both literature AND film, as opposed to just one. Maybe not needed at other industries,but I'm hoping the film industry would think that both would be valuable.

Just to let you know that whilst researching is a career which you might be suited to after Film Studies, for other roles you might be better off taking Film Production. :smile:
Still, if you're happier doing Film Studies, go for it.
Reply 31
Cadge

I used to want to go into the media and film industry. Believed a media degree would put me right in the right area for it etc. Now doing Business management,hopefully!
A girl asking my media teaching whether she should take it as she wanted to be a film director got the response of do a more respected A-Level like Physics etc as it will be more helpful for you.
You should really consider and English degree as it may be worth more than you think and more than your film degree..
Cadge

I absolutely take on board what you are saying. As another poster mentioned, for the roles you are describing, maybe it might be a good idea to take something like Technical Theatre or Theatre Production? This way you would gain more experience of producing, directing, editing etc. which might be more enjoyable for you than analysing films, which is what Film Studies generally involves.
Reply 33
cc15
I absolutely take on board what you are saying. As another poster mentioned, for the roles you are describing, maybe it might be a good idea to take something like Technical Theatre or Theatre Production? This way you would gain more experience of producing, directing, editing etc. which might be more enjoyable for you than analysing films, which is what Film Studies generally involves.

That's true. But my plan is to do a theoretical based degree and join any film/theatre/television/radio societies the uni offers so I get practical experience as well!:smile:

I did my research. All the unis i'm applying for (except maybe my backup option: Hertfordshire atm) have at least two of these societies available.

In fairness, the degree i'm most likely to go to is Eng Lit, Film and Theatre at Reading (who have a theatre society and a new student TV station).
Cadge
That's true. But my plan is to do a theoretical based degree and join any film/theatre/television/radio societies the uni offers so I get practical experience as well!:smile:

I did my research. All the unis i'm applying for (except maybe my backup option: Hertfordshire atm) have at least two of these societies available.

In fairness, the degree i'm most likely to go to is Eng Lit, Film and Theatre at Reading (who have a theatre society and a new student TV station).

That sounds like a good idea. You'll be able to get lots of experience from student radio and a theatre society; you might even get to do a bit of technical work on your course as well.

English Lit, Film & Theatre sounds like a good choice for what you want to do :smile:
I know someone who has worked their way into the film industry as a director and they have a degree in human geography...your degree can be pretty irrelevant in the field you just need to get experience and build contacts at the same time ... the person i know started off as a runner and simply worked their ass off

Latest

Trending

Trending