The Student Room Group

switching subjects at the end of year 12

I am currently taking psychology as one of my a levels but we have no teachers and there is no hope for new teachers in year 13 so I want to switch to physics instead since I got a 9 in physics GCSE. Would this be a good idea? (my grades in Psychology are horrible and I need 3 As for uni)
honestly, i doubt your school would allow you to change at the very end of the year. physics is also extremely difficult and it would probably be hard to catch up/teach yourself a whole years worth of content before year 13. i do feel your pain with the no teachers thing, i had to have replacement teachers in all 3 of my subjects - including psychology. what i'd suggest doing is spending a portion of the summer holidays going back over year 1 content and potentially getting a head start on year 13 stuff using youtube videos and textbooks while you wait for a replacement. other than that there's not much you can do except for maybe resitting the year and changing your subjects.

its your sixth form/colleges obligation to find you a supply, its your a-levels... they cant just leave whole classes without someone to teach. i'm sure there have been complaints already but make sure to be annoying and remind your school/ask about a new teacher at every chance possible.
Reply 2
I think it would be really difficult to catch up nearly a whole year of physics A-level, but at the same time if you have no teacher for psychology then that is a disaster too. Is there a school nearby that you could continue the psychology at? I think you need to speak to your head of year or someone at school who can talk through your options and see where you go from there. Alternatively could you do a foundation year at university if you don't get the grades you need/want?

Quick Reply

Latest