The Student Room Group

What should I do to get Distintions graded?

I'm done 2/4 of my access course in social work, I completed 6 graded unit and got 4 pass and 2 merit. I'm very worried I'll not get enough distinctions and merit to not enter the university.

The tutor has explained that universitiees sometimes accept what they don't actually require. However, I do not want to be in that case in case that does not happend.

Most of the feedbacks I'm getting is about how I need more breadth and depth across every section, I really don't know what to do even that I always write the maximun words.

Apart from hitting the assignment criteria to Merit, what can I do to make sure I get distinctions? I really don't want to end up not getting it as it would had been a waste of course and moeny...

If anyone has any relevant experience with an Access course (in Social Work preferably but any would be great) would you please give some advice to try to get higher grades?

Thanks a lot.
Reply 1
"Most of the feedbacks I'm getting is about how I need more breadth and depth across every section, I really don't know what to do even that I always write the maximum words."

It is frustrating when you can't make the leap from feedback to improved marks but that is the only option open to you.

To be asked for more breadth AND depth sounds quite odd to me. However, it's worth unpicking it to try and create some practical things you can do.

Depth in academic speak usually refers to things like making sure all key terms are well defined, using supporting quotes from relevant sources. Illustrative examples to support the key points if your argument also add depth.

Breadth, I suppose, is making sure your overview of the subject is well mapped. That the key points are all addressed.

For distinction quality work, I would argue that depth is more important. Breadth will get you to a merit but depth on top of that will get you to a distinction.
Reply 2
I have one more exam to go for my access course (albiet science) and hopefully will make it to 45/45 distictions. ALWAYS ensure that you reference your sources correctly and if you have an assesment criteria sheet for your module, follow it as if they are asking them as questions and answer them that way!
Good luck! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending