The Student Room Group

Target grades

I am in year 9 just coming to the end and i have been given a target grade of 5- I am really worried as i feel as though i should be achieving higher than this and been coming top of my class in all of the exams- Why is my target grade 5 if i am doing well in class (i didn’t do my sats from covid)
Original post by djdjcj
I am in year 9 just coming to the end and i have been given a target grade of 5- I am really worried as i feel as though i should be achieving higher than this and been coming top of my class in all of the exams- Why is my target grade 5 if i am doing well in class (i didn’t do my sats from covid)

Do you know what grades you have been getting, being top of the class doesn't mean much to me because I don't know what sort of marks they have been getting.

It could be that it is a grade that a computer has decided you should get based on probably CAT4 tests (I'm not sure whether you did these but I know I did and people I know who are currently in year 9 did).
Reply 2
Original post by flowersinmyhair
Do you know what grades you have been getting, being top of the class doesn't mean much to me because I don't know what sort of marks they have been getting.

It could be that it is a grade that a computer has decided you should get based on probably CAT4 tests (I'm not sure whether you did these but I know I did and people I know who are currently in year 9 did).

I have been getting 75-80% whilst most get around 50%, i think i only started to truly get higher scores when i reached year 8 but still i’m not sure why my target grade is at a 5,

Are target grades accurate something i should worry about or is it something to take with a pinch of salt
Original post by djdjcj
I have been getting 75-80% whilst most get around 50%, i think i only started to truly get higher scores when i reached year 8 but still i’m not sure why my target grade is at a 5,

Are target grades accurate something i should worry about or is it something to take with a pinch of salt

I think your target grade is likely the grade that has been created by a computer probably based on tests you did at the start of year 7. It is created based on the results you get (it is usually SATs and these tests as well, but you obviously didn't do SATs) by a computer and it is what the school is compared against once you get your results at the end of year 11. I wouldn't worry about the grade, you may get predicted/projected grades in the future which are probably more indicitave of your actual results (from your teachers).
my target grades for a levels were DDC. My predicted was A*A*A* (will likely get something close to that).

Why do you care?

Quick Reply

Latest