The Student Room Group

scared of getting rejected from all 5 unis

i'm in year 12 rn and i really want to apply to dentistry, but i'm afraid i'm going to get rejected from all the unis i apply to as well as pharm at Bath since that is what i plan to apply to as my 5th due to doing their pathway to bath programme in the pharmacy + pharmacology strand. I have the grades and i'm sure i'll be predicted the grades needed for dentistry, but i do not have stellar gcses (99888877) and extracurricular wise i'm doing a lot but i feel like i'm not doing enough.. what should i do
Original post by megan_xay
i'm in year 12 rn and i really want to apply to dentistry, but i'm afraid i'm going to get rejected from all the unis i apply to as well as pharm at Bath since that is what i plan to apply to as my 5th due to doing their pathway to bath programme in the pharmacy + pharmacology strand. I have the grades and i'm sure i'll be predicted the grades needed for dentistry, but i do not have stellar gcses (99888877) and extracurricular wise i'm doing a lot but i feel like i'm not doing enough.. what should i do

You calm down a little. If you have the predicted grades, and apply sensibly (for a range of different universities) then you should get offers.
Reply 2
Original post by DataVenia
You calm down a little. If you have the predicted grades, and apply sensibly (for a range of different universities) then you should get offers.
i'm not even overreacting dentistry is super duper competitive and i feel like even if i get interviews i'll flop them since i'm terrible at them
Reply 3
i'm still scared i need more advice guys

Hey @megan_xay,

Universities value A-Levels much more highly than GCSEs when considering offers, so if you're confident in your A-Level grades so far and in what you'll be predicted, then I really wouldn't let this worry you too much! They primarily just have those requirements in place to make sure you've got a solid foundational understanding, and have demonstrated a consistent track record of good performance. That being said, your GCSE grades are really impressive, definitely do not get yourself down about that.

For extracurriculars, I'd say if you're doing or have done one or two activities that are relevant to dentistry or pharmacy, or where you can show off skills that are easily applied to what you'd be doing on those courses, then that should be enough to put you in a great position. Universities want students who are going to contribute to their community positively, so they're not looking for robots - if you're part of a sports team, craft club, music club, anything that might not even seem relevant, then you can also talk about those things in your personal statement and at interview.

You mentioned you find interviews quite difficult, but really it's just an opportunity for the recruiters to see what kind of person you are. You'll have got to the interview stage, so they'll be impressed by your grades already, and will know you're capable academically. Interview is an opportunity for you to talk about your interests, both in and outside of your course, and show off your passion! Try not to focus on what anybody else will be walking into the room and talking about that day, and just focus on having an exciting and positive conversation with the interviewer.

As corny as it sounds, often these things just come down to having more confidence and belief in yourself. If you've applied already, you've submitted your best possible personal statement, and you're just waiting on hearing back, then you can still get involved with activities, projects, or volunteering that you can talk more about at interview - if you have the time and really want to. But that aside, just keep on working towards your predicted grades and absolutely have more confidence in abilities!

Millie
Lancaster Student Ambassador, 3rd Year Psychology BSc
Reply 5
Don't be ruled by fear of failure. You did well in your GCSEs and have the predicted grades to get in. All you can do is apply and you have a chance to get an interview. Take it a step at a time. If you don't get an interview then you reassess what you want to do then. If you did get an interview then get some friends and start doing some interview prep. And so on 🙂. Trust in yourself and whatever happens as long as you give it your best shot then you make your next choices based on what happens. Looking forwards too far is counter productive
Reply 6

Heyy! Don’t be scared of rejection and never see it as a failure. I had 5 rejections while applying to dentistry last year but I just focused on getting the grades they wanted because at the end of the day it’s the grades that matter. So work hard for it and if you get rejected honestly take the year off! I’m loving my gap year so far and I’ve been so happy getting different experiences and just enjoying a break. Reapply and hope for the best!
Do dentistry courses on Coursera, do MOOCs on Future learn, go to taster lectures, get work experience… all these things are free and will help you stand out from the crowd and make you a more attractive applicant
Reply 8
Original post by idk356
Heyy! Don’t be scared of rejection and never see it as a failure. I had 5 rejections while applying to dentistry last year but I just focused on getting the grades they wanted because at the end of the day it’s the grades that matter. So work hard for it and if you get rejected honestly take the year off! I’m loving my gap year so far and I’ve been so happy getting different experiences and just enjoying a break. Reapply and hope for the best!
yeah see the thing is i cannot do a gap year at any cost, so therefore i have decided to apply to 3 dent schools and 2 pharm or 1 pharm and 1 biomed or smthn
Reply 9
Original post by elizarose06
Do dentistry courses on Coursera, do MOOCs on Future learn, go to taster lectures, get work experience… all these things are free and will help you stand out from the crowd and make you a more attractive applicant
yup i also have 2 part time jobs which i'll mention in my ps, and hobbies including badminton + piano and i might start blogging
(edited 2 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest