The Student Room Group

Parents Learning Allowance for separated parents.

Hello.

I would like to get some help or advice regarding this element of SF support. I used to receive this support when I was living with my partner (now ex). After separation, the children stayed with her, and I moved out. I was paying Child Support and having the kids during weekends and school holidays.

The PLA was reviewed and taken away as I was advised the kids no longer lived with me. But, I was also advised that, if I was still making regular payments to my ex-partner for the children upkeep (Child Support), then I would still be eligible. Therefore, I provided evidence of these Child Support payments and other additional payments but it was refused. SFE stated that though the evidence clearly indicate I do pay the Child Support payments and children stay with me occasionally, they are not mainly or wholly dependent on me.

I then brought to their attention the following article;

It is stated on the SFE "Dependent Grants Evidence":
If the child does not live with the student but is still financially dependent on them, they should send photocopies of evidence to show this, for example evidence of Child Support Agency payments, payments to ex-partner or a solicitor’s letter/ legal papers confirming shared custody agreement.

So clearly the SFE info is misleading as on one hand, they are stating that you can be eligible if the child/children are wholly or mainly dependent on the student, and the same goes for if you are paying the Child Support for the kids maintenance then a student would still be eligible which applies in my case. However, the SFE refusal does not address the second part, only the first part which consist of those terms "wholly or mainly".

I hope what I have explained is somewhat sensible.

Many thanks
Original post by Jayvim
Hello.

I would like to get some help or advice regarding this element of SF support. I used to receive this support when I was living with my partner (now ex). After separation, the children stayed with her, and I moved out. I was paying Child Support and having the kids during weekends and school holidays.

The PLA was reviewed and taken away as I was advised the kids no longer lived with me. But, I was also advised that, if I was still making regular payments to my ex-partner for the children upkeep (Child Support), then I would still be eligible. Therefore, I provided evidence of these Child Support payments and other additional payments but it was refused. SFE stated that though the evidence clearly indicate I do pay the Child Support payments and children stay with me occasionally, they are not mainly or wholly dependent on me.

I then brought to their attention the following article;

It is stated on the SFE "Dependent Grants Evidence":
If the child does not live with the student but is still financially dependent on them, they should send photocopies of evidence to show this, for example evidence of Child Support Agency payments, payments to ex-partner or a solicitor’s letter/ legal papers confirming shared custody agreement.

So clearly the SFE info is misleading as on one hand, they are stating that you can be eligible if the child/children are wholly or mainly dependent on the student, and the same goes for if you are paying the Child Support for the kids maintenance then a student would still be eligible which applies in my case. However, the SFE refusal does not address the second part, only the first part which consist of those terms "wholly or mainly".

I hope what I have explained is somewhat sensible.

Many thanks

Hi there,

Thanks for bringing this to our attention - we've passed this on to our team to see if this guidance can be updated to be clearer.

Thanks, Graeme

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending