The Student Room Group

Should I pick History or Geography for GCSE's?

My scores are similar in both. I'm also doing triple science so I am thinking to choose geography but I find the concepts in history to be more interesting.
Reply 1
Original post by Khadijah15
My scores are similar in both. I'm also doing triple science so I am thinking to choose geography but I find the concepts in history to be more interesting.

well i would pick history as it seems your more interested in it
weigh out why you may pick either subject and why it is appealing to you etc
then make a decision from that
Reply 2
I would advise looking at the spec for the exam board you will be doing to see if the content is what you will enjoy. I did history ( a long long time ago ) and I hated it but My son has just did geography and being heavily involved with his tuition it was really interesting to learn and there was a lot of overlap with the sciences so in a way it was easier to revise. Hope this helps
Reply 3
History teaches so many skills like critical reasoning and essay writing. It's a great fit with science, and its blend of creative thought and precise investigation isn't really found in any other subject. If you find it more interesting than geography, pick it.
Reply 4

Why pick either? Pick a subject you enjoy.
Reply 5
Original post by khadijah15
my scores are similar in both. I'm also doing triple science so i am thinking to choose geography but i find the concepts in history to be more interesting.

geography so much easier
Reply 6
Pick the one you find more interesting.
Reply 7
Original post by Spk007
I would advise looking at the spec for the exam board you will be doing to see if the content is what you will enjoy. I did history ( a long long time ago ) and I hated it but My son has just did geography and being heavily involved with his tuition it was really interesting to learn and there was a lot of overlap with the sciences so in a way it was easier to revise. Hope this helps

Great answer.
Reply 8

It’s a shame that in some schools ( as in mine) you have to choose between these two subjects. If you are wanting to study science at uni ( and I am not sure if you do) I would pick the most enjoyable and relaxing. Just to give you an example, I knew of a medical student at brasenose who studied three sciences and french at a level. When asked why he studied french at interview, he said it relaxed him and was a pleasant diversion from the intensity of the sciences.

Quick Reply

Latest