The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

manchester university accomodation

I want to go to Manchester for 2005, got my offer..just been looking at the accomodation brochure, looks alright!

however, friends of mine have remarked how manchester uni, and i quote, "is a s**thole for accomodation" ?! can anyone shed some light on this / prove that its not please?

so far, like the look of Burkhardt house. can anyone there already tell me that its nice?! surely!

thanks

Scroll to see replies

nabso
I want to go to Manchester for 2005, got my offer..just been looking at the accomodation brochure, looks alright!

however, friends of mine have remarked how manchester uni, and i quote, "is a s**thole for accomodation" ?! can anyone shed some light on this / prove that its not please?

so far, like the look of Burkhardt house. can anyone there already tell me that its nice?! surely!

thanks

hmm that worries me. I might be going there this year too. would be grateful for some information whether there is on-campus accomodation for MSc students in Manchester Business School ?? I surely want to avoid s**thole :y:
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
nabso

thanks

I also like the look of Burhardt however havent actually seen it so couldnt tell you how nice it is. The only one iv seen is Owens Park and based on the size/quality of the rooms, its really bad. However there are some decent accom. (so people have said) depending on whether you want self-centered or catered. Some you might want to look at are Western, Richmond Park and Woolten.
Reply 3
i have no idea what it's like never seen any of it, but i know manchester has a huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge variation between accomodation, biggest university in the country it has quite alot of halls etc. so just choose wisely. student accomodation is never going to be loveliness. but hopefully that won't get to you as your lifestyle will be too distracting :P
Reply 4
I've visited a friend in Dalton-Ellis Hall, and it's very nice indeedy.
Anybody knows how the rooms at Opal Hall and Opal Gardens are? :biggrin:
Are you sure they are uni owned? I thought opal estates owned them? There's is lots of nice accomodation here, elpollo....if you liked Dalton-Ellis you would be gobsmacked by the rest :tongue: (which IMO is better).
Reply 7
nabso

thanks

Without wanting to be blunt... your friend is wrong. Manchester has got some excellent student accommodation. Richmond Park, Burkhardt House, Dalton Ellis to name but three.

Ultimately, you get what you pay for.
Reply 8
pengangguran
Anybody knows how the rooms at Opal Hall and Opal Gardens are? :biggrin:

I don't know, however I've always been advised to steer as wide a berth as is physically possible around anything built or managed by Opal.
pghstochaj
Are you sure they are uni owned? I thought opal estates owned them? There's is lots of nice accomodation here, elpollo....if you liked Dalton-Ellis you would be gobsmacked by the rest :tongue: (which IMO is better).

hi pghstochaj :biggrin: , I dont know who owns them, but they are listed in the university accommodation website, and I like them the most.

are they nice?? do you know whether they are far from the business school (booth street) especially opal gardens ??
Tednol
I don't know, however I've always been advised to steer as wide a berth as is physically possible around anything built or managed by Opal.

does it mean they are terrible :confused: why is that?
I think Opal gardens is the one just down the road from me. About 3 mins walk. If so, it's on upper booth street/anson road. This means (I am not 100% sure where the business school is) it's about 10 mins on the bus during rush hour to Manc or about 20 to UMIST (including the walk from the bus stop).

I went to Opal Estates the other day to rent a house from them for next year, they were understaffed, hopelessly busy and rude and the two properties we saw through them were absolutely awful! (even though they only provide an agency service for the owner, I wouldn't bother offering those places!)

If you want nice ensuite and self-catered accom. I like Canterbury Court, i can't believe how lucky I was to get a place here, then Richmond park (but in fallowfield so longer on the bus which would bug me like mad, I cycle and it would be just that bit further to piss me off) or even Pankhurst (part of dalton ellis) which is next to my building really is fine enough (not as big rooms as CC, breeze blocks too, mine are plastered).
Reply 12
I can't say what my dad does for security reasons but he has had dealings with Opal and he will never deal with them again, they are a bunch of cowboys. It took him weeks to get paid. Also couple of years ago Student Direct did a big feature warning both Manchester and Salford students to avoid Opal like the plague.
They should re-run it then if it still stands, I looked on the web and they seemed fine in terms of the houses they offered. Loved their description though "4 large double rooms" = 3 small/medium + 1 small. If they are really bad I wish I had known as i went there for an afternoon and tried out two of their houses.

I do believe one of the buildings on the UMIST campus is opal owned however and they have no problems.....
Reply 14
I think if I remember rightly the story was about some Manchester students that look them to court because they proove they had not caused the damage they said they have done to the house, they won the case, but after it it merged 100's of other students had the exact same problem.

I think one better way of getting accomdation is to find a landlord is a member of a trade acciation which i forget the name off. The house next door to me is rented out and the landlord is brilliant, he paints and decorates it every year, he gets gardener to come in once a month, cleaner one a week and he is just very honest and trustworthy. There are plenty of landlords like this you just have to look in the right places, some times the big fancy high street shops are not the place espeicaly if its in Fallowfield.

PS This may give you an idea of their reputation

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&safe=off&q=%22opal+estates%22+%2B+student+direct&btnG=Search&meta=
pghstochaj
I think Opal gardens is the one just down the road from me. About 3 mins walk. If so, it's on upper booth street/anson road. This means (I am not 100% sure where the business school is) it's about 10 mins on the bus during rush hour to Manc or about 20 to UMIST (including the walk from the bus stop).

the business school is on the booth street. not too far from Aquatic centre and just accross the Royal Northern College of Music. I've never been there of course, I just looked it up in the map from the catalogue :biggrin: . and yes I think the listed address of Opal Gardens is on Anson Road (2 Hope Road)

pghstochaj
I went to Opal Estates the other day to rent a house from them for next year, they were understaffed, hopelessly busy and rude and the two properties we saw through them were absolutely awful! (even though they only provide an agency service for the owner, I wouldn't bother offering those places!)

that's terrible :eek: they're amongst the more expensive arent they? we should get what we pay for!! :ridinghor

pghstochaj
If you want nice ensuite and self-catered accom. I like Canterbury Court, i can't believe how lucky I was to get a place here, then Richmond park (but in fallowfield so longer on the bus which would bug me like mad, I cycle and it would be just that bit further to piss me off) or even Pankhurst (part of dalton ellis) which is next to my building really is fine enough (not as big rooms as CC, breeze blocks too, mine are plastered).

how far are they from the business school (booth street)? I would prefer somewhere close to the school, rather than fallowfield
I thought those housings (Opal Gardens and Hall) belong to the university. arent they??

amazingtrade
I think if I remember rightly the story was about some Manchester students that look them to court because they proove they had not caused the damage they said they have done to the house, they won the case, but after it it merged 100's of other students had the exact same problem.

I think one better way of getting accomdation is to find a landlord is a member of a trade acciation which i forget the name off. The house next door to me is rented out and the landlord is brilliant, he paints and decorates it every year, he gets gardener to come in once a month, cleaner one a week and he is just very honest and trustworthy. There are plenty of landlords like this you just have to look in the right places, some times the big fancy high street shops are not the place espeicaly if its in Fallowfield.

PS This may give you an idea of their reputation

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&safe=off&q=%22opal+estates%22+%2B+student+direct&btnG=Search&meta=
Reply 17
I am not sure to be honest, but I am guessing that they are owned or at least management by Opal. They own quite a lot of student accomdation in Manchester but I guess that is better than Jarvis.
Reply 18
Opal Hall is for postgrads but i think it is owned by the uni.

Grosvenor group of halls are the ones nearest the buisness school (MBSE) and opal hall share their facilities so it must also be close to the MBSE.
pghstochaj

I just found out that CC is only for undergrads :frown:
I guess I might have to opt for either Dalton Ellis (catered) or one of the Opals then.
pghstochaj, do you pass by the Opal Gardens frequently, can you see whether the building is nice?

Latest

Trending

Trending