The Student Room Group

Disappointing Mock Grades (not sure how to proceed)

I study Biology, Chemistry and Maths and I was predicted AAA however within my mocks I got a BBD (a D in Chemistry which was supposed to be my best subject).

I'm not really sure where to go from here because I personally felt that I worked really hard for these mocks. (I studied more than 7 hours each day for a month reviewing over content).

I had a look with my teacher and it appears that I am struggling with exam practice (I didn't do any past papers because I had lots of gaps in my syllabus)

There are only a few months left for my exams and I am hoping for at least 1 or 2 A*s and I do believe that it's do-able. I just don't know what to do for the next 3 months.
Original post by shahzadi_
I study Biology, Chemistry and Maths and I was predicted AAA however within my mocks I got a BBD (a D in Chemistry which was supposed to be my best subject).

I'm not really sure where to go from here because I personally felt that I worked really hard for these mocks. (I studied more than 7 hours each day for a month reviewing over content).

I had a look with my teacher and it appears that I am struggling with exam practice (I didn't do any past papers because I had lots of gaps in my syllabus)

There are only a few months left for my exams and I am hoping for at least 1 or 2 A*s and I do believe that it's do-able. I just don't know what to do for the next 3 months.

Hi @shahzadi_

Try not to be too hard on yourself. Your mock results are a great way to gauge what went well in the exam and what you need to do next. I've personally brought C grades up to As when I was studying, so it is achievable, you just need to find out what you need to do next to improve.

You said yourself that exam practice is probably what you're lacking, so maybe start there. You can still revise content at the same time, so you're not losing out there, but I found learning the exam question structures and how the mark schemes work, boosted my confidence with my exams. You can also try some "open book" practice too for higher mark questions. You can have some notes in front of you, but then you have to answer the question as concisely as possible. This helped me to understand how I could pick up marks and how to avoid wasting unnecessary time on longer answers.

This time of the academic year it's really important to not burn yourself out as you try to boost your grades. Of course, you may add in more revision as you get closer to your exams, or find yourself feeling a bit stressed, but remember to look after yourself.

Best of luck with your exams!
Emily 🙂
Student Rep at BCU
Original post by BCU Student Rep
Hi @shahzadi_

Try not to be too hard on yourself. Your mock results are a great way to gauge what went well in the exam and what you need to do next. I've personally brought C grades up to As when I was studying, so it is achievable, you just need to find out what you need to do next to improve.

You said yourself that exam practice is probably what you're lacking, so maybe start there. You can still revise content at the same time, so you're not losing out there, but I found learning the exam question structures and how the mark schemes work, boosted my confidence with my exams. You can also try some "open book" practice too for higher mark questions. You can have some notes in front of you, but then you have to answer the question as concisely as possible. This helped me to understand how I could pick up marks and how to avoid wasting unnecessary time on longer answers.

This time of the academic year it's really important to not burn yourself out as you try to boost your grades. Of course, you may add in more revision as you get closer to your exams, or find yourself feeling a bit stressed, but remember to look after yourself.

Best of luck with your exams!
Emily 🙂
Student Rep at BCU

Thank you so much Emily!

Quick Reply

Latest