The Student Room Group

Accomodation issues at sheffield hallam

Hi,
I am a student of Sheffield Hallam and was living at the elements accommodation in Highfield. I am a first year student and was living in halls. I had some issues in my 1st flat in regards to one resident playing victim to the accommodation team and making up a bunch of lies about me and a group of friends. Even though none of this had ever happened she continued to do this, reporting people to the police, the Uni and the accommodation team. It was an impossible battle as everybody believed her with no evidence. I personally felt like it was because we were a group of males and she was a Girl. Nevertheless I ended up asking the accommodation to move me to a different flat. This started off well and I was happy to move away from that situation until I ended up in one of the same level. The hygiene in this flat was appalling, there was mould growing on the walls and on dishes in the corners, the flat stunk because of this. There were brown stains everywhere from the walls to the sides to the hob. The kitchen was always full of dishes and food always all over the floor. One of the residents who I will not name also kept her some of her personal sexual items in the kitchen. I was disgusted by it and refused to eat in the kitchen and would cook at a friends flat every night, I would also eat pre-made food in the day. The last straw was when 1 of the residents and her friend contracted scabies, a skin disease where you develop small mites that burrow underneath your skin. Upon hearing about this I decided enough was enough and am now residing in an Airbnb in Sheffield. I have tried to explain my situation to the elements accommodation and they know about both of them very well. They have refused that I am able to break my tenancy and have said I can be moved yet again, which I do not want, or I can try to find a replacement tenant, which is near impossible as we are coming to the end of the 2nd semester. What can I do ?
Original post by Anonymous
Hi,
I am a student of Sheffield Hallam and was living at the elements accommodation in Highfield. I am a first year student and was living in halls. I had some issues in my 1st flat in regards to one resident playing victim to the accommodation team and making up a bunch of lies about me and a group of friends. Even though none of this had ever happened she continued to do this, reporting people to the police, the Uni and the accommodation team. It was an impossible battle as everybody believed her with no evidence. I personally felt like it was because we were a group of males and she was a Girl. Nevertheless I ended up asking the accommodation to move me to a different flat. This started off well and I was happy to move away from that situation until I ended up in one of the same level. The hygiene in this flat was appalling, there was mould growing on the walls and on dishes in the corners, the flat stunk because of this. There were brown stains everywhere from the walls to the sides to the hob. The kitchen was always full of dishes and food always all over the floor. One of the residents who I will not name also kept her some of her personal sexual items in the kitchen. I was disgusted by it and refused to eat in the kitchen and would cook at a friends flat every night, I would also eat pre-made food in the day. The last straw was when 1 of the residents and her friend contracted scabies, a skin disease where you develop small mites that burrow underneath your skin. Upon hearing about this I decided enough was enough and am now residing in an Airbnb in Sheffield. I have tried to explain my situation to the elements accommodation and they know about both of them very well. They have refused that I am able to break my tenancy and have said I can be moved yet again, which I do not want, or I can try to find a replacement tenant, which is near impossible as we are coming to the end of the 2nd semester. What can I do ?

That’s awful.
Perhaps raise the issue and talk about the urgency of the situation to someone higher up? As the living standard is horrendous. If the accommodation isn’t doing something maybe someone else will.
Sorry you’re going through this.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending