The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

How to write an argue letter to a uni that set a test condition I have not met

I applied for economics and finance in University of Edinburgh, and they gave me an uncon offer for A*AA. Unfortunately I only got AAA, with my economics given a 88 PUM-precisely 2 points to a*😭 I am trying to get a remarking, if it doesn’t work, argue letter would be my last resort. Could anyone please tell me how to persuade the uni to lower its standard for this one subject🥺
Original post by Skyguy2117
I applied for economics and finance in University of Edinburgh, and they gave me an uncon offer for A*AA. Unfortunately I only got AAA, with my economics given a 88 PUM-precisely 2 points to a*😭 I am trying to get a remarking, if it doesn’t work, argue letter would be my last resort. Could anyone please tell me how to persuade the uni to lower its standard for this one subject🥺

Begging letters are pointless and dont work. They only waste everybodys time. If you have missed your offer and the university reject you nothing will change. You move on to elsewhere. It is time to face up to things like an adult and stop acting like a child.
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Have you notified Edinburgh that you were 2 points of an A* and that you're getting a priority remark?

You'll find out next Thursday if they're able to accept you with AAA or not - and they should let you know if they're able to hold your offer open while you get a remark if AAA isn't enough.

There's no "argument" you can make that will change their decision. Universities operate fair admissions processes based on achievement and evidence - not favouritism.
Reply 3
Original post by swanseajack1
Begging letters are pointless and dont work. They only waste everybodys time. If you have missed your offer and the university reject you nothing will change. You move on to elsewhere. It is time to face up to things like an adult and stop acting like a child.

OK, so you are saying that argue letter is pointless and it would not work in my case
Reply 4
OK, so you are saying that argue letter is pointless and it would not work in my case

Have you informed them that you were 2 marks off an A*? If not, do that right away, so they can hopefully factor that into the decision they make on you between now and when you find out next Thursday. Unis only receive the grades i.e A, B, C, not the actual mark. A grovel email won't make a difference, but providing them with the facts might.
(edited 8 months ago)

What do you mean by the A*AA being unconditional?

Yes absolutely in every case unless there were specific circumstances like an illness or death in the family. You have missed the grade you were offered. That is the bottom line you havent met your offer. Universities look whether the number who have met their offer equals or exceeds their spaces. If they have they reject everyone who missed their offer. If the number achieving their offer is below the number of places then they decide whether to accept near misses. If they reject you that is the end. No saying I am a good boy and an outstanding student will change that. They go on results. End of. This is the real adult world you are facing where rejection is common in things like job applications.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending