The Student Room Group

Kings College Maths School

Hiya

Could anyone who is currently or has attended this school tell me what's it like?
I'm wanting to go to a diff maths school but I missed the chance to go to the open evenings and it's a new school. (opening this school year). The staff there say it will be like kcms so I would like a little insight to that school. So I get an idea what it may be like in the other maths school

Thank you xx
Reply 1
Original post by Trickia
Hiya

Could anyone who is currently or has attended this school tell me what's it like?
I'm wanting to go to a diff maths school but I missed the chance to go to the open evenings and it's a new school. (opening this school year). The staff there say it will be like kcms so I would like a little insight to that school. So I get an idea what it may be like in the other maths school

Thank you xx

There are a few maths schools as well as kings and I know the liverpool one fairly well. Lots of good things about it, so good teaching/support and a fair number of supercurriculum-type activities.
Reply 2
Original post by mqb2766
There are a few maths schools as well as kings and I know the liverpool one fairly well. Lots of good things about it, so good teaching/support and a fair number of supercurriculum-type activities.

Would you mind telling me a bit if you don't mind thank you x
Reply 3
Original post by Trickia
Would you mind telling me a bit if you don't mind thank you x

Not sure what you want to know? Its seems a very good school, teachers know their stuff, kids seem happy and learn things, a fair amount of structured discussions/investigations/projects, good staff to pupil ratio, good supercurriculum activites so invited talks at the school and vists to geneva recently (particle accelerator) and social activities, ...
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 4
Original post by mqb2766
Not sure what you want to know? Its seems a very good school, teachers know their stuff, kids seem happy and learn things, a fair amount of structured discussions/investigations/projects, good staff to pupil ratio, good supercurriculum activites so invited talks at the school and vists to geneva recently (particle accelerator) and social activities,

Thank you for letting me know much appreciated x
Just ur ops as this is a new school in my area and the school year is going to be abt 40 ppl. I was wondering how they were going to make it work, even though they already answered this I still had some doubts tbh.
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Trickia
Thank you for letting me know much appreciated x
Just ur ops as this is a new school in my area and the school year is going to be abt 40 ppl. I was wondering how they were going to make it work, even though they already answered this I still had some doubts tbh.

Thats about the same size as liverpool so 40-50 per year. There has been a few opening in the last couple of years/opening this year so lancaster, cambridge, ... and they seem to get able kids and good teachers.
Reply 6
Original post by mqb2766
Thats about the same size as liverpool so 40-50 per year. There has been a few opening in the last couple of years/opening this year so lancaster, cambridge, ... and they seem to get able kids and good teachers.

Yea I'm from the Cambridge area I just wanted to know abt other maths schools they only really mentioned about kings so that's why I mainly asked abt it thank you once again!

Just asking did u attend Liverpools maths school?
Reply 7
Original post by Trickia
Yea I'm from the Cambridge area I just wanted to know abt other maths schools they only really mentioned about kings so that's why I mainly asked abt it thank you once again!

Just asking did u attend Liverpools maths school?

No, too old. It opened about 3 years ago, but I know a few of the current y12s.

Kings is the main/oldest(?) one but the others are related (not exactly sure how), so Id not put too much store on the fact that they only mentioned that one.
Reply 8
Original post by mqb2766
No, too old. It opened about 3 years ago, but I know a few of the current y12s.

Kings is the main/oldest(?) one but the others are related (not exactly sure how), so Id not put too much store on the fact that they only mentioned that one.

Oh I see thank you will take what their report said with a grain of salt I was wondering if I could go their to take a look having missed the open evening but it doesn't have it unlike other sixth forms in the area
Reply 9
Original post by Trickia
Oh I see thank you will take what their report said with a grain of salt I was wondering if I could go their to take a look having missed the open evening but it doesn't have it unlike other sixth forms in the area

Generally theyre proactive about recruiting and Id imagine that theyd be running similar events for y11 students throughout next year as they want you to apply. But just email/message whoever their contact is and ask.
Reply 10
Original post by mqb2766
Generally theyre proactive about recruiting and Id imagine that theyd be running similar events for y11 students throughout next year as they want you to apply. But just email/message whoever their contact is and ask.

Oh okay yeah that's a good idea thank you
Hello
I went to the Kings College Maths School.
It only offers Maths (specifically Core Maths, Mechanics, and Statistics), Further Maths, and Physics as its A Levels, the AS in either Computer Science or Economics, and the option of taking an EPQ. However, they teach the subjects in a more interesting way than in some schools. Very occasionally the A Level classes include content not in the A Level syllabus.
It is a small school, so it does not have facilities such as gyms that a larger school might have. They admit about 70-85 people each year. According to the teacher, that means "everyone gets to know everyone else" in the school. Personally, I knew who all of the people in my year were, as well as a lot of the people in the year above. This was with the pandemic occurring in my first year.
They have lots of classes which are outside the A Level curriculum. In Year 12 they are all mandatory, and in Year 13 some are mandatory and some are optional. Some of these classes help prepare for university.

-Kao (Lancaster Maths & Stats Student Ambassador)
Reply 12
Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador
Hello
I went to the Kings College Maths School.
It only offers Maths (specifically Core Maths, Mechanics, and Statistics), Further Maths, and Physics as its A Levels, the AS in either Computer Science or Economics, and the option of taking an EPQ. However, they teach the subjects in a more interesting way than in some schools. Very occasionally the A Level classes include content not in the A Level syllabus.
It is a small school, so it does not have facilities such as gyms that a larger school might have. They admit about 70-85 people each year. According to the teacher, that means "everyone gets to know everyone else" in the school. Personally, I knew who all of the people in my year were, as well as a lot of the people in the year above. This was with the pandemic occurring in my first year.
They have lots of classes which are outside the A Level curriculum. In Year 12 they are all mandatory, and in Year 13 some are mandatory and some are optional. Some of these classes help prepare for university.

-Kao (Lancaster Maths & Stats Student Ambassador)

Oh that's rlly nice thanks for sharing xx

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending