The Student Room Group

Are people usually closest to the ones in their course or who they live with?

Title
Hey, I think this is very much down to the people you meet! I personally was closer to the people I live with (I still live with one of them 6 years later!) and I think some of that was due to my course being very lecture heavy so not much chance to interact with others. Another great way to meet people though is joining sports teams and societies, my closest friends now are all girls I met playing netball at university so it is a great way to meet people with similar interests to you. One of the best things about uni is the opportunity to meet so many different individuals and having the chance to find your people. Good luck! - Abi :h:
Original post by Anonymous
Title

Hi,

I am closer to the people I live with. We spend loads of time with each other and make an active effort to do things together, even if we do find it annoying seeing each other all the time occasionally. It always figures out when we openly communicate and don't place blame. I like the people on my course though and we make an active effort to do things together like going to do work together or going to the pub after a lecture.

I think it varies from person to person because I know others whose closest friends are those they've met in societies. It's just about when people meet each other and their personalities 'click'. There are so many people at uni, almost everyone is bound to make friends. It's easier the more people you meet.

-Beth (Lancaster Student Ambassador0
Title

Hello,

I hope you're well. You know what, I think it depends who you live with & who is on your course and I think you get closer to each group of people for different reasons. If you develop a relationship with your housemates this can give you people to go out and have fun with, which you can also do with your course mates. I think relationships with course mates are different as it is much more relatable just because, you clearly have very similar interests, you are studying the same course and can typically bond over this and working together through deadlines etc.

It is quite hard to compare, I think you're just close to each group for different reasons :smile:

Kind regards
Jade :smile:
Cov Uni Student Ambassador
Hi there,
It can be either! For example, I was very good friends with my flatmates in my third year but up until that point, my closest friends came from societies and my course. I would say don't be disheartened if you don't get along with either, keep putting yourself out there and you'll make friends at uni.

Hope this helps!

- Sophie
Title

Hey!
As you probably realised everyone has had different experiences with their friends. I was actually never friends with any of my flatmates. I don't think i even have them on social media haha. I did become good friends with a lot of my coursemates since we would do our courseworks together and go to classes together, but my closest friend group was the one i met online first. We were just some International students living in Dubai who made a groupchat and met on the first day of fresher's fest.

So it just depends who you catch the vibe with, could be the most unexpected group of people :smile:
Good Luck on starting uni soon !!
Vyomika (LU Student Ambassador)
Reply 6
Title

The question of whether individuals in university become closer to those in their courses or to those they live with is a nuanced one, and the answer can vary greatly depending on individual circumstances. University is a unique experience for each student, characterized by a diverse array of interactions, activities, and relationships.

When it comes to forming close relationships, both academic and living situations play a role. On the academic side, being in the same course provides ample opportunities for students to interact, collaborate, and bond. Whether through class discussions, group projects, or study sessions, students often forge strong connections with their classmates. These relationships are often grounded in shared academic interests and experiences, which can provide a solid foundation for deeper, more personal connections.

Conversely, living with someone offers a different set of opportunities for closeness. Sharing living quarters often means navigating daily life together—cooking, cleaning, watching movies, and simply being in each other's presence. It is an environment that can foster intimate and supportive friendships. Living with others often allows people to witness and be part of the mundane and the extraordinary moments in each other's lives. This shared experience can be a powerful bonding force.

It is not uncommon for students to form strong relationships with both their classmates and roommates. The proximity of living quarters, for example, has been shown to influence friendship formation. Proximity can lead to an increased frequency of interactions, which in turn can facilitate the development of close relationships.

Ultimately, the formation of close relationships in university is influenced by a variety of factors, including individual personality, interests, and personal circumstances. For some, academic relationships may take precedence, while for others, living arrangements may play a more significant role. The beauty of university life is that it offers an array of opportunities for meaningful connections, allowing students to explore different facets of themselves and their relationships with others.
Title

Hey there!

This completely depends on the person. For me personally, I was closer to my coursemates because my flatmates weren't very sociable and didn't ever want to go do anything (spent their time in their rooms, ate in their rooms etc.). It's different for every person though. I probably would have been closer to my flatmates if they were social because I was literally living with them and would probably be spending most of my time with them. However, because they weren't I was always making a conscious effort to hang out with my coursemates and go to other places.

Hope this helped!
Lucy - Digital Student Ambassador SHU
Reply 8
A lot of courses rely on close cooperation between course participation. Sometimes this is good, but sometimes you need time off at home or you are in a group 24/7.

Most people are closest to those that they share a house with. Sometimes these are on their course, often not.
Title

Hi there,
I think that who you are closest to at university definitely depends on a number of factors. For instance, although I personally have been closest to my housemates throughout my degree, I know that people on a more demanding degree, perhaps with work experience, which requires more in-person hours, are often much closer to people on their course. For me, I just clicked with my house most and spent so much time with them compared to only seeing people at uni a few hours a week.

It is also impacted by how you click with people, you may end up meeting your closest friends at work or in a society. It totally depends. Regardless, you are bound to meet plenty of people, some of which I'm sure will become close friends.

All the best,

Jaz - Cardiff student rep
Title

Hi there!

For me for my two years so far I have found I have made better friendships with the people on my course. However, this could be due to my course being rather small (around 16 people) which does make it easier I find to get to know others and we do merge with the other classes quite a lot which does mean I got to meet around another 30 people.

I did in my first year get along well with my flat mates as we were all rather sociable people, however after having moved out from there and living somewhere else we no longer speak, however I do find sometimes that you are friends as you live together.

However, in my second year the people I lived with weren't sociable so I didn't speak that much with them.

But everyone's situation is different and some people may make lifelong friends through flatmates or course mates.

Rebecca
2nd Year Geoenvironmental Hazards Student
I was closer to friends I made on my course and people I met through societies. We just had more in common. I'd sit and have a drink with my flatmates if we happened to walk into the kitchen at the same time, but we didn't make plans to hang out.
(edited 8 months ago)
Title

Hi!

As you will have read in previous responses, who people are closest to varies from person to person. I live about 20 minutes away by car from my university so I live at home. I was able to make friends more easily through my course but we initially met because we all spoke and met up from the big student group chats. Student group chats are great to start forming study groups too. As time went on I got introduced to more people through these friends. So I ended up getting to know people in a variety of ways.

I don't drink or enjoy going clubbing so I was initially worried I would not make any friends but most universities hold events that don't involve drinking or partying so you can find similar people. Societies is another great way to start making friends with similar interests to yourself.

Which course are you studying and do you have any interests that you hope you will be able to continue at university?

Alia
University of Kent Student Rep
Title

During my foundation year and first year, I lived with the same group of people and I was closer to them than the people on my course.
During second year (which I've just finished) I think I was closer to some of the people on my course, bc I'd gotten to know some of them quite well through lab practicals, and all of us ranting on our group chat about various stuff :rofl: I also felt closer to some of my colleagues at work in my part time job because we're pretty social there which helped, considering I had a new set of flatmates this year who were pretty antisocial.
Completely depends! There were only 7 of us on my course so we were all quite close. However, my closest friends were made doing an extra language class. I also had friends from part-time work and from societies and I ended up introducing a few which was nice. Two ended up living together and two even became a couple. Everyone has a different experience and there's no specific way or place to make friends so don't worry too much. Just put yourself out there and have fun.
Title

I'd honestly say it varies, personally my closest friends are a mix, I spend a lot of time with my coursemates but my first-year housemates are also the ones I've decided to live with in my second year. I also have friends from the Dance club I'm in so I don't think there is one answer. Are you worried about making friends at uni?
Title

Hi!
I honestly think this will vary for different people but I imagine, generally, people are closer with course mates as you can somewhat chose your course friends vs being put in randomly assigned housing.
However, my first year flatmate is one of my closest friends, but I would say my friendship group is the girls from my course. So it definitely varies from person to person.
I hope this is helpful, Faye :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending