The Student Room Group

Resitting A-Levels on a gap year

I was planning on taking a gap year, regardless of how results day went because I only had 1 interview in the last application process and was rejected post-interview. Results didn't exactly go as planned and although I was predicted A*A*A, I only got ABC. So, now I'm planning to resit Biology and Chemistry next summer and also redo the UCAT in September. If I were to reapply and try get a good UCAT, would KCL be a good option or will the fact that I'm resitting put me at a greater disadvantage than they let on? I don't want to waste any of the limited spots I have to apply and only want to put places where I have a good shot. My GCSES for reference are one 9, seven 8s and two 7s. I may be eligible for Widening Participation but have not formally gotten any Doctor's notes or diagnosis to prove it, but am in the process to. My other options are Southhampton, Bristol, Edge Hill. I am also considering other courses, such as Medical Bioscience at Imperial as they said they do not have any requirements on resits.
I'd appreciate any advice on which route to take.
Original post by URM471
I was planning on taking a gap year, regardless of how results day went because I only had 1 interview in the last application process and was rejected post-interview. Results didn't exactly go as planned and although I was predicted A*A*A, I only got ABC. So, now I'm planning to resit Biology and Chemistry next summer and also redo the UCAT in September. If I were to reapply and try get a good UCAT, would KCL be a good option or will the fact that I'm resitting put me at a greater disadvantage than they let on? I don't want to waste any of the limited spots I have to apply and only want to put places where I have a good shot. My GCSES for reference are one 9, seven 8s and two 7s. I may be eligible for Widening Participation but have not formally gotten any Doctor's notes or diagnosis to prove it, but am in the process to. My other options are Southhampton, Bristol, Edge Hill. I am also considering other courses, such as Medical Bioscience at Imperial as they said they do not have any requirements on resits.

@_Rusty_ and @KA_P (sorry for always tagging you both!) but I feel you can give some tips here!
Original post by URM471

It seems like you have a good plan for the coming year and have taken into account that your priority is to strategically apply :console: Once you have sat your UCAT, I strongly recommend posting your stats on this thread here after reading the first post: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?&t=7312527

If you are set on studying Medicine, I would not do a different course. If you are hoping to do a different course and apply for graduate entry medicine, please be aware that it is extremely competitive

It's good that you're looking at how you can become eligible for widening participation, have you look at whether you be eligible to apply for Medicine with foundation year or gateway to medicine, as well as whether you could be considered as a contextual applicant?

Original post by CheeseIsVeg
@_Rusty_ and @KA_P (sorry for always tagging you both!) but I feel you can give some tips here!

Thank you and no worries at all! Really appreciate it :hugs:
Original post by KA_P
It seems like you have a good plan for the coming year and have taken into account that your priority is to strategically apply :console: Once you have sat your UCAT, I strongly recommend posting your stats on this thread here after reading the first post: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?&t=7312527

If you are set on studying Medicine, I would not do a different course. If you are hoping to do a different course and apply for graduate entry medicine, please be aware that it is extremely competitive

It's good that you're looking at how you can become eligible for widening participation, have you look at whether you be eligible to apply for Medicine with foundation year or gateway to medicine, as well as whether you could be considered as a contextual applicant?

You keep getting there like 30 seconds before me 💀
Original post by _Rusty_
You keep getting there like 30 seconds before me 💀

:lol: I may be a little addicted to TSR right now :jumphug:
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 5
Original post by KA_P

Hi, thanks so much for the response! Yes, I have looked into the Nottingham Medicine course with a foundation year and hopefully can apply for this as well. I am not a contexual applicant though, so I can't try for that. I think there's still quite a few options so I'm hopeful. :smile:
Original post by URM471
Hi, thanks so much for the response! Yes, I have looked into the Nottingham Medicine course with a foundation year and hopefully can apply for this as well. I am not a contexual applicant though, so I can't try for that. I think there's still quite a few options so I'm hopeful. :smile:

Don't lose hope :hugs: We're here for you and cheering you on!
Reply 7
Original post by URM471

Have you looked at if eligible for newcastle partners. If you might be (and there are wide criteria) could be worth looking at resit policy (think may mean C would need to become A on resit but not 100%). Also look at remarks if near grade boundary?
(edited 8 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending