The Student Room Group

Is 4 weeks in small animal practices enough veterinary work experience?

I have 2 weeks each at 2 different small animal practices. I’m not in a location where farm/lambing experience is available and I was wondering if what I’m doing is enough for uni applications?
Original post by Dweeter
I have 2 weeks each at 2 different small animal practices. I’m not in a location where farm/lambing experience is available and I was wondering if what I’m doing is enough for uni applications?

With work experience, it's simply a case of the more you can do the better.
Have a read of the big shiny work experience bible to have a few more details:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=441897
Original post by Dweeter

Well done on getting those placements. A great step in the right direction. The univerties clearly outline what they want so you need to go through each one. They differ.
My daughter is applying and we have visited 2 vet schools and attended webinairs. The take home message is more is definitely not better. It is what you gained from your experience. Was there something you found interesting and what research did you do into that area. They understand not everyone can get all areas. Perhaps there is a cattery or kennels you can go to. Or a petting zoo? , think outside the box. Do the mooc online course, show you understand what the job entails. There is lots of online help. Podcasts. Vet magazines. Read now before you are back to school.

Good luck. A hard but exciting year ahead.
Reply 3
Original post by 04MR17
With work experience, it's simply a case of the more you can do the better.
Have a read of the big shiny work experience bible to have a few more details:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=441897

I’ll read through that, thank you!
Reply 4
Original post by ailurophilemum
Well done on getting those placements. A great step in the right direction. The univerties clearly outline what they want so you need to go through each one. They differ.
My daughter is applying and we have visited 2 vet schools and attended webinairs. The take home message is more is definitely not better. It is what you gained from your experience. Was there something you found interesting and what research did you do into that area. They understand not everyone can get all areas. Perhaps there is a cattery or kennels you can go to. Or a petting zoo? , think outside the box. Do the mooc online course, show you understand what the job entails. There is lots of online help. Podcasts. Vet magazines. Read now before you are back to school.

Good luck. A hard but exciting year ahead.

Yes I’m looking into kennels near me and I’ve done the MOOC, I’ll definitely have a look at magazines and podcasts thank you!
It’ll be too late for this year now as lambing is done in spring, but you don’t have to be anywhere near a farm to do a placement - many farmers provide free accommodation. Look at the National Sheep Association website when it opens in November time usually. I believe your experience is sufficient to apply to all the vet schools anyway (but I don’t keep up to date), but bear in mind as a vet student you can’t simply not do a placement because you’re not close to a provider - they will expect you to travel or find accommodation. I wouldn’t say more is always better, but having a good variety is - you will be learning about all the species as a student, and imo having some experience with them from placements pre vet school puts you in a better place. And seeing more means you’ll have more to talk about at interviews and forms, so imo increases your chances of getting in. As above, do think outside of the box. Stables always love extra hands, particularly riding schools. Any shelters or kennels or groomers near you? Can you fb search farms that offer accommodation for work experience? Can you stay with a family member or friend nearer to a placement provider? I would exhaust all avenues first as it’ll help you later on, and again as a vet student you simply will have to find a way anyway.
Original post by Dweeter
I’ll read through that, thank you!

No problem, the thread I linked will be quite old, so any specific details in there will likely have changed - as another user mentioned - the university themself should have details on their websites for what they are expecting. :yep:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending