The Student Room Group

Veterinary work experience advice

Hello, I've secured 1 week in a vet clinic and 2 weeks lambing on a farm where I will be staying in accommodation. Is this enough work experience, and if not does anybody have advice on what more to do, where and how? Any advice is appreciated. For context I'm 17 and in Year 12
The work experience requirements vary uni to uni, you have to reach the minimum requirements at the ones you apply to to be considered, although most are now lowering them or even getting rid of the compulsory number of hours - but obviously doesn't mean 'don't do any'. Before covid the general requirements were 2 weeks at vets and 2-4 weeks 'other' husbandry so farms, stables, shelters, kennels etc, so generally I recommend around that as a baseline. Try to get a mix of small animals, farm (lambing is great! If you can find some cow stuff that'd be amazing, but not necessary) and equine if you can - riding schools generally love an extra pair of hands. But I think what you have now is a good start and if you can't get more weeks at vet clinics I wouldn't worry unless you are applying to a vet school that requires more. Remember to get references at the end of your placements (Surrey's guide is good for this even though they no longer required them this year) and keep a diary of contact details, number of hours, tasks you did and what you learned etc.
Reply 2
Original post by RambleAmple
The work experience requirements vary uni to uni, you have to reach the minimum requirements at the ones you apply to to be considered, although most are now lowering them or even getting rid of the compulsory number of hours - but obviously doesn't mean 'don't do any'. Before covid the general requirements were 2 weeks at vets and 2-4 weeks 'other' husbandry so farms, stables, shelters, kennels etc, so generally I recommend around that as a baseline. Try to get a mix of small animals, farm (lambing is great! If you can find some cow stuff that'd be amazing, but not necessary) and equine if you can - riding schools generally love an extra pair of hands. But I think what you have now is a good start and if you can't get more weeks at vet clinics I wouldn't worry unless you are applying to a vet school that requires more. Remember to get references at the end of your placements (Surrey's guide is good for this even though they no longer required them this year) and keep a diary of contact details, number of hours, tasks you did and what you learned etc.

Thanks very much for the advice! I'll definitely keep it in mind for the future
If you are doing farm work, ask your host if there is a way of obtaining any hands-on time with cattle or pigs or whatever else you find interesting. Ask what how the stock are managed and why, think about everything from an animal health angle and also consider how stockman ship and animal health contribute to the economics of livestock production. Farmers are a big part of the veterinary client world so use the time to gain insight into their world.

Don't forget, the farm network is a good way of finding placements for future years.

EDIT: forgot to say, finding friendly farmer with routine work at busy periods may be a good way of earning money in the holidays later in your course- some people block calve all their animals in a tight window and someone with some veterinary expertise and understanding may be useful here.
(edited 3 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending