The Student Room Group

Widening Access and Participation

Hi, I was just wondering if a (currently) undiagnosed mental health condition would make me eligible for Widening Access and Participation. Or is this mainy for people from underprivileged backgrounds?
You’d need to check the specific uni terms and conditions to know for sure, but I would say it’s unlikely. Generally, you need to fulfil several of the conditions (e.g. lived in low income area, recipient of free school meals etc) rather than just one, so it’s unlikely that a mental health condition alone would qualify you for widening access. You would certainly need a diagnosis to be eligible at, any rate - sorry.
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by CriticalMuppet
You’d need to check the specific uni terms and conditions to know for sure, but I would say it’s unlikely. Generally, you need to fulfil several of the conditions (e.g. lived in low income area, recipient of free school meals etc) rather than just one, so it’s unlikely that a mental health condition alone would qualify you for widening access. You would certainly need a diagnosis to be eligible at, any rate - sorry.

I understand, thank you. :smile:
Original post by URM471
I understand, thank you. :smile:

Best of luck with whatever you end up doing :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by URM471
Hi, I was just wondering if a (currently) undiagnosed mental health condition would make me eligible for Widening Access and Participation. Or is this mainy for people from underprivileged backgrounds?

Health issues fall under extenuating circumstances, not WP, generally
Reply 5
Original post by GANFYD
Health issues fall under extenuating circumstances, not WP, generally

Sorry, I know there may not be a straight-forward answer for this, but as I plan on resitting some of my A Levels, could I put these mental health reasons as an extenuating circumstance, for universities that will require one?
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 6
Original post by URM471
Sorry, I know there may not be a straight-forward answer for this, but as I plan on resitting some of my A Levels, could I put these mental health reasons as an extenuating circumstance, for universities that will require one?

Many med schools have a specific form you need to fill in if you want consideration under ExCircs, that needs to be received and reviewed before they can decide if they will accept things. So if you have formal evidence of how things have affected you, then you complete the form and provide, eg Drs letters. If it is not as clear cut as that, it is something your referee can mention in your reference. Contact med schools you might be interested in and find out what their preferred process is, if you cannot find details on the website
Reply 7
Original post by GANFYD
Many med schools have a specific form you need to fill in if you want consideration under ExCircs, that needs to be received and reviewed before they can decide if they will accept things. So if you have formal evidence of how things have affected you, then you complete the form and provide, eg Drs letters. If it is not as clear cut as that, it is something your referee can mention in your reference. Contact med schools you might be interested in and find out what their preferred process is, if you cannot find details on the website

Okay, thank you so much. :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by URM471
Okay, thank you so much. :smile:

Just ask if you have any questions 😊

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending