The Student Room Group

UCAT Incident

Hi,

I’ve just sat my UCAT today and an incident occurred where my num pad wasn’t working for the first two sections. I’ve contacted Pearson and explained how it wasted my time as I’d usually use the num pad for the calculator and also caused a disruption when I had to move computer mid test.

Was just wondering if anyone else has had anything like this and what the outcome was from of their case from Pearson?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by saraan
Hi,

I’ve just sat my UCAT today and an incident occurred where my num pad wasn’t working for the first two sections. I’ve contacted Pearson and explained how it wasted my time as I’d usually use the num pad for the calculator and also caused a disruption when I had to move computer mid test.

Was just wondering if anyone else has had anything like this and what the outcome was from of their case from Pearson?

I'd report it. My test centre was awful last year and I didn't report it and regret it so much. Hopefully the case will be better this year, otherwise I will definitely report the situation whether my score is high or low.
Reply 2
Original post by ryanalevel
I'd report it. My test centre was awful last year and I didn't report it and regret it so much. Hopefully the case will be better this year, otherwise I will definitely report the situation whether my score is high or low.

Yeah I have reported it and the case is open. My test centre created the case for me but didn’t even write anything about the incident or anything to do with the number pad. The only thing they wrote was that I had to move computers, I then called them and gave them the rest of the information
Reply 3
Original post by saraan
Hi,

That was me today 😭, the plus and equal button were not working on the keyboard, so they had to change it mid exam and it took 10 mins, imagine QR is 26 mins and 10 is taken away from you, I’m waiting on a decision after I contacted them earlier today
Reply 4
Original post by Rozh11
That was me today 😭, the plus and equal button were not working on the keyboard, so they had to change it mid exam and it took 10 mins, imagine QR is 26 mins and 10 is taken away from you, I’m waiting on a decision after I contacted them earlier today

Literally the exact same thing! Do you know what the options are at all that could happen? I forgot to ask, is a resit possible or would they increase scores at all? 5 days is so long to wait as well!
Reply 5
Original post by saraan
Literally the exact same thing! Do you know what the options are at all that could happen? I forgot to ask, is a resit possible or would they increase scores at all? 5 days is so long to wait as well!

They would never increase scores. They can’t tell how how much it would’ve affected you and what you would’ve scored otherwise. An annotation is more common than a retest, you wouldn’t get to resit a section. You’d sit a new test, which could potentially be easier/harder for you and whatever score you get, even if it’s lower, will be void your previous exam.
There have been people who had 6 mins lost in a test and weren’t allowed to retest, only an annotation added. You might have to wait longer than 5 days, I’m still waiting (from 17th Aug) because they’re investigating my technical difficulty with my test centre.
https://www.ucat.ac.uk/test-day/test-incident/
Reply 6
Original post by asclepeion
They would never increase scores. They can’t tell how how much it would’ve affected you and what you would’ve scored otherwise. An annotation is more common than a retest, you wouldn’t get to resit a section. You’d sit a new test, which could potentially be easier/harder for you and whatever score you get, even if it’s lower, will be void your previous exam.
There have been people who had 6 mins lost in a test and weren’t allowed to retest, only an annotation added. You might have to wait longer than 5 days, I’m still waiting (from 17th Aug) because they’re investigating my technical difficulty with my test centre.
https://www.ucat.ac.uk/test-day/test-incident/

Would annotations really mean much? I got 645 and i’m looking to apply to liverpool so i’m kind of on the border of getting an interview or not
Reply 7
Original post by saraan
Would annotations really mean much? I got 645 and i’m looking to apply to liverpool so i’m kind of on the border of getting an interview or not

You should email the university and ask. Some universities don't care and won't consider the extenuating circumstances to the test score, even if it was out of your hands like technical difficulties.
Reply 8
Yeh when I called them they said they could put me for special consideration that I lost 10 minutes, but I really don’t see universities actually caring about 10 minutes, but literally 10 minutes of QR is over a third of the exam, and it really is not fair on me
Reply 9
Original post by saraan

I think you have the choice to appeal against their decision, I’m worried that even after they changed the keyboard nothing was fixed and the woman said that it was the system, nothing is wrong with it, I’m worried that they wouldn’t let me resit because there was an “exact issue” even tho I still lost 10 whole minutes
Reply 10
Original post by saraan

Also I got the same score 😭!!!! We might be the same person just alternatives 😭😭
Reply 11
Original post by Rozh11
Also I got the same score 😭!!!! We might be the same person just alternatives 😭😭

hahah that’s so weird, where did you wanna apply?
Reply 12
Original post by saraan
hahah that’s so weird, where did you wanna apply?

Ah dont get me started, this will be my second year applying, I’m thinking about Liverpool but idk, cuz my GCSEs are ok but my Alevels are good so idk
I had the same problem. my numpad wasnt working but i didnt complain tbh i probably should have but im too shy to speak to people lmao overall my ucat was lower then last year but still a decent score
Reply 14
Anyone heard back?
Hi I sat my ucat yesterday and got a 2300 score with band 2. During the exam there was a power outage during my dm section and the computers were shut for about 20 minutes. Do u guys know if this sounds reasonable enough for a resit? I was given an incident card and I was heavily distracted throughout the entire exam because of it
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 16
Original post by aashaikh
Hi I sat my ucat yesterday and got a 2300 score with band 2. During the exam there was a power outage during my dm section and the computers were shut for about 20 minutes. Do u guys know if this sounds reasonable enough for a resit? I was given an incident card and I was heavily distracted throughout the entire exam because of it

You'll have to ask them and push for a resit. Resits are very rare and if UCAT deem it significant enough, then they will probably let you but it's their definition of significant disruption, not yours. You'd have to resit the entire UCAT exam but it would be a different test to the one you took, different questions
Yes thank you, they have emailed back and said they apologise for the matter and they are conducting a separate investigation. I have also asked for a resit in hopes they have listened to my comments. They have made a separate case and the team is discussing an outcome. Does anyone know someone who has been able to resit the UCAT exam due to an incident or any other advice I should take leading on from this?
Reply 18
Original post by aashaikh
Yes thank you, they have emailed back and said they apologise for the matter and they are conducting a separate investigation. I have also asked for a resit in hopes they have listened to my comments. They have made a separate case and the team is discussing an outcome. Does anyone know someone who has been able to resit the UCAT exam due to an incident or any other advice I should take leading on from this?

You'll have to wait to hear back from them. A few people got to retest last year but there was a fiasco with the online at home UCAT exam vs in test centre exam, with some invigilators not even showing up or starting the UCAT exam remotely.
Have a read: https://www.ucat.ac.uk/test-day/test-incident/
Better to just wait for them, you can't do anything at the moment if they're still investigating, they won't be able to give you an answer of what is likely to happen until the investigation has ended. I submitted my incident on the day of my exam (17th August) and my investigation is still ongoing.
Original post by asclepeion
You'll have to wait to hear back from them. A few people got to retest last year but there was a fiasco with the online at home UCAT exam vs in test centre exam, with some invigilators not even showing up or starting the UCAT exam remotely.
Have a read: https://www.ucat.ac.uk/test-day/test-incident/
Better to just wait for them, you can't do anything at the moment if they're still investigating, they won't be able to give you an answer of what is likely to happen until the investigation has ended. I submitted my incident on the day of my exam (17th August) and my investigation is still ongoing.

Thank you for letting me know. I will wait until the investigation is completed and I hope we both get to retake. Can I ask what sort of incident did you experience during your exam?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending