The Student Room Group

Great British Bake Off 2023 discussion thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mess.
Dan, wedding cake boy or forager.
Can see forager going far but the ‘bit’ becoming a bit tired and a stretch to try and make the ingredients diverse over time.

Dan a definite candidate, Abbi and Cristy. Definitely think that Tasha stands a chance. Those 4 are my picks
Original post by Mohammed_80
Would everyone agree that Dana had the worst of 3 challenges then Amos. His chocolate orange cake wasn’t all that in the Signature though placing 2nd in the technical yet he went out when Dana came to the showstopper knowing she was in trouble yet her cake was over baked.

I agree
Original post by quasa
I agree

That was poor judging.
Amos was definitely the correct person to go.

I think Abbi, Saku and Tasha might be people to watch, but it's early days and we haven't really got to know them all yet!
Biscuit week let's gooooo!
Custard creams in the technical :woo:
Signature was marshmallow biscuits
Reply 27
Looked lovely. Well deserved showstopper.

Still think the bloke who won last week will win. He's come near the top in everything.
(edited 6 months ago)
Original post by Rakas21
Looked lovely. Well deserved showstopper.

Still think the bloke who won last year will win.
He's come near the top in everything.

Would be the first back-to-back GBBO winner :tongue:

In all seriousness, quite possibly yes. He feels probably at the head of the pack but not by much?
Reply 29
Original post by Saracen's Fez
Would be the first back-to-back GBBO winner :tongue:

In all seriousness, quite possibly yes. He feels probably at the head of the pack but not by much?

The Sri Lanka woman seems quite weak and will probably go next. The old woman might last longer than she should by being forgettable.

The young bloke could do well along with this week's star baker.
Overall though I'm really liking this series so far I think they realise they crossed a line into silly challenges last series and have stripped it back to a more relatable competition with more things that the average person could at least aspire to baking. :h:
Overall though I'm really liking this series so far I think they realise they crossed a line into silly challenges last series and have stripped it back to a more relatable competition with more things that the average person could at least aspire to baking. :h:

I agree. Also the bakes and competitors seem better than last year so far.

Original post by Rakas21
The Sri Lanka woman seems quite weak and will probably go next. The old woman might last longer than she should by being forgettable.

The young bloke could do well along with this week's star baker.

Saka just whinges too much imo but her are nicki should go next I agree
Original post by quasa
Saka just whinges too much imo but her are nicki should go next I agree

I think Nicky is weaker to be quite honest. I watched with a friend last night and she was laughing at me saying 'you're next' when Nicky was having her post-result interview :lol:

I do feel like in GBBO you can fairly easily see who is struggling and I am rarely surprised by who the judges choose to go home.
(edited 6 months ago)
So happy for Tasha deserved star baker. My picks to go next a three way tie between Saku, Nicky and Dana. Nicky just been having the luck to be honest. Dana seemed boring so far and just way off and Saku just moans a lot and whinges. And you could see her technical and showstopper was just way off 😂😂
Dan, Tasha, Abbi my picks for the final
Original post by CatusStarbright
I think Nicky is weaker to be quite honest. I watched with a friend last night and she was laughing at me saying 'you're next' when Nicky was having her post-result interview :lol:

I do feel like in GBBO you can fairly easily see who is struggling and I am rarely surprised by who the judges choose to go home.

Don’t forget that 2 bakers could go at once
Original post by Mohammed_80
Don’t forget that 2 bakers could go at once

No. That's only happened before where they didn't send anyone home one week due to someone being ill, so the next week they sent two home. Since everyone was present this week, that will not be happening next week.

Yess! I felt like bake off challenges were becoming a bit too much for the 'average home baker' and ultimately setting the bakers up for faliure.
speaking of... the time limits on the challenges are ridiculous!
4 minute klaxon!
Reply 39
Cottage loaf for the signature. Bread Week.

Quick Reply

Latest