The Student Room Group

Software Engineering Degree Apprenticeship | Digital & Technology Solutions Level 6

Scroll to see replies

Hey : ) I am applying for Uni and degree apprenticeships in Software engineering/Digital & technology solutions
Here’s my background: I got grades BBB in chemistry Maths and Biology this year.
I’d like some help concerning my cover letter and personal statement. Here is a a summary of activities I’ve done:
1- i talked about an online software engineering work experience ( Springpod) and how it introduced me to CS, and how i found it intriguing
2- I talked about how i was passionate about animes and drawing, and then did some research about animation and how computing overlaps with drawing there ( made me appreciate that cs isn’t just a bunch of numbers but also can mix with art)
3- talked about ai and how it will be a powerful tool in the future for coders and my thoughts about it
4- I started python course and web design course on freecodecamp camp and did my first python project and I’m gonna build my personal website and talk about that too
5- bunch of extracurriculars ( and the skills they built): sixth form open evening, mentored some GCSE students in maths during sixth form. Joined my skl’s basketball academy. Was in my skls student voice. Currently working as a teaching assistant in year 1. I can speak fluently: English, Algerian Arabic, Tamazight, French. And some basic german

Things I’m considering to do : coding challenges, maybe reading A very short introduction : computer science . An online work experience on Forage.

Things to note: those were the main points i will talk about. It will also be tailored to the companies I’m gonna apply for.

Is this enough/ good ?
Anything specific i need to add / remove?
Anything more/ or extra activities i can do ?
Any tips on what unis and employers look for in particular ?
Anything to maximise my chances to getting accepted ?
Reply 41
Original post by mounia.snf
Hey : ) I am applying for Uni and degree apprenticeships in Software engineering/Digital & technology solutions
Here’s my background: I got grades BBB in chemistry Maths and Biology this year.
I’d like some help concerning my cover letter and personal statement. Here is a a summary of activities I’ve done:
1- i talked about an online software engineering work experience ( Springpod) and how it introduced me to CS, and how i found it intriguing
2- I talked about how i was passionate about animes and drawing, and then did some research about animation and how computing overlaps with drawing there ( made me appreciate that cs isn’t just a bunch of numbers but also can mix with art)
3- talked about ai and how it will be a powerful tool in the future for coders and my thoughts about it
4- I started python course and web design course on freecodecamp camp and did my first python project and I’m gonna build my personal website and talk about that too
5- bunch of extracurriculars ( and the skills they built): sixth form open evening, mentored some GCSE students in maths during sixth form. Joined my skl’s basketball academy. Was in my skls student voice. Currently working as a teaching assistant in year 1. I can speak fluently: English, Algerian Arabic, Tamazight, French. And some basic german

Things I’m considering to do : coding challenges, maybe reading A very short introduction : computer science . An online work experience on Forage.

Things to note: those were the main points i will talk about. It will also be tailored to the companies I’m gonna apply for.

Is this enough/ good ?
Anything specific i need to add / remove?
Anything more/ or extra activities i can do ?
Any tips on what unis and employers look for in particular ?
Anything to maximise my chances to getting accepted ?

Can you specify what your thinking about putting into you're CV and what you're thinking about putting into your cover letter, that would help immensely.
Original post by Astray666
Can you specify what your thinking about putting into you're CV and what you're thinking about putting into your cover letter, that would help immensely.

Does the stuff that needs to be put in my cv need to be the same as my cover letter or is it different ?^^ I’m not too sure, I’ve heard some companies ask for a cover letter some cv, some ask for both so I’m not too sure
Reply 43
Does the stuff that needs to be put in my cv need to be the same as my cover letter or is it different ?^^ I’m not too sure, I’ve heard some companies ask for a cover letter some cv, some ask for both so I’m not too sure

Your CV should include a short summary (couple of lines about your passion and interests), education, work experience (detailed, speak about what you did and learnt for each), projects.

While a Cover Letter is more like a paragraph style person statement like, it's you trying to convince the employer why you want them to pick you. So there can definitely be an overlap of information in both but in the cover letter talk about your drive, why you are fit for the job, show that you have researched the company.

Search up example CVs and Cover Letters for it and it should be helpful.
(edited 5 months ago)

Hi there,

I'd recommend putting different things in your CV and cover letter. This means you can include more things which means you can show off a broader range of skills, experiences and achievements. Some overlap is okay but you don't want it to be a carbon copy. It's the same with the application questions - don't just write the same thing you've put in your CV. Maximise your quantity of things to talk about by saying different things.

In terms of structuring the cover letter, I would say also include a paragraph about research on the company. This shows you actually want to join the company and have taken the effort to learn all about them. (I can send you some link about how to write cover letters including how to structure that research paragraph, example cover letters and example CVs - if you want just let me know).

Hope that helps. Let me know if you have any questions or want the links.
Original post by apprentinsideryt
Hi there,

I'd recommend putting different things in your CV and cover letter. This means you can include more things which means you can show off a broader range of skills, experiences and achievements. Some overlap is okay but you don't want it to be a carbon copy. It's the same with the application questions - don't just write the same thing you've put in your CV. Maximise your quantity of things to talk about by saying different things.

In terms of structuring the cover letter, I would say also include a paragraph about research on the company. This shows you actually want to join the company and have taken the effort to learn all about them. (I can send you some link about how to write cover letters including how to structure that research paragraph, example cover letters and example CVs - if you want just let me know).

Hi I’d really appreciate if you could send me the links
Original post by notanotherone12
Hi I’d really appreciate if you could send me the links

Yeah no worries, let me send them over.

Just to let you know as a heads up, not all companies ask for CVs and cover letters. Some do the application process without them these days. So I'd recommend checking if the company needs CVs and cover letters before you spend a couple of hours drafting them up and personalising them (because you might not want to spend your free time doing that for no point!).

Also another tip for the cover letter, as well as the content, formatting it correctly so it looks professional can really go a long way and make a brilliant first impression. So that includes things like proper address, title and formal sign off (more info about this is in the cover letter link).

Cover letter link - how to write a cover letter and an example to see the structure and kind of things you want to put in there. https://youtu.be/fUwz2xkj5d8

CV link - example structure https://youtu.be/DMPEogTDvtQ (and another one about how to write one from scratch if you're interested https://youtu.be/Tvgi9_0iYOI)

I hope that helps with your CVs and cover letters. Any questions, just drop me a message.

Your CV should include a short summary (couple of lines about your passion and interests), education, work experience (detailed, speak about what you did and learnt for each), projects.

While a Cover Letter is more like a paragraph style person statement like, it's you trying to convince the employer why you want them to pick you. So there can definitely be an overlap of information in both but in the cover letter talk about your drive, why you are fit for the job, show that you have researched the company.

Search up example CVs and Cover Letters for it and it should be helpful.

Thank you so much for your reply !
Original post by apprentinsideryt

Hi there,

Thank you so much for your help :smile:
Reply 49
Thank you so much for your reply !

No worries I hope it was helpful 😀
Reply 50
Hey Guys just wanted to update everyone:
Just got my first email back from AJ bell and it was to book a phone call interview, I am so excited as it's my first one ever, the rest are still taking their sweet time. I hope everyone else is also doing well.
Hey Guys just wanted to update everyone:
Just got my first email back from AJ bell and it was to book a phone call interview, I am so excited as it's my first one ever, the rest are still taking their sweet time. I hope everyone else is also doing well.

Congrats : D and good luck for your interview, I hope that everything will go smoothly for u !
Reply 52
Congrats : D and good luck for your interview, I hope that everything will go smoothly for u !

Thank you very much appreciate it a lot 😁
Reply 53

Being honest most degree apprenticeships are located in areas such as Manchester and London so you will have a harder time finding degree Apprenticeships in such a niche area so I would advise you to also apply to places in Manchester and London.

Try and find in Google if there are any local software companies nearby and check if they offer degree Apprenticeships.

Try and find employers in this site by entering the relevant city name:
https://www.findapprenticeship.service.gov.uk/apprenticeships?ApprenticeshipLevel=Degree&Hash=-1575166586&Keywords=Digital&Latitude=53.38317&Longitude=-1.46775&Location=Sheffield%20%28South%20Yorkshire%29&LocationType=NonNational&PageNumber=1&ResultsPerPage=5&SearchAction=Search&SearchField=All&SearchMode=Keyword&SortType=Relevancy&WithinDistance=40&DisabilityConfidentOnly=False

University:
https://www.shu.ac.uk/study-here/higher-and-degree-apprenticeships/digital-and-technology-solutions/software-engineer

Best Companies:
JP Morgan
GCHQ
Microsoft
PwC
Goldman Sachs
KPMG
Most Apprenticeships aren't open yet but keep an eye out and make sure to post it here if it isn't already posted.

hey are the microsoft apprenticeships open yet ?
Reply 54
Original post by user2813
hey are the microsoft apprenticeships open yet ?

I've had a look, I don't think so yet, but I would still have a look for yourself.
Reply 55

I've had a look, I don't think so yet, but I would still have a look for yourself.

thank you !!
Reply 56
Original post by user2813
thank you !!

No worries, let me know too please if it opens 😁
Reply 57

No worries, let me know too please if it opens 😁

of course !
Reply 58
GCHQ NOTICE:
I have noticed a lot of people posting the same question regarding GCHQ Degree Apprenticeships this year. Fear not as I have been troubled by the same question for weeks and I have emailed them regarding the lack of communication and about degree apprenticeships this year. I will post an update as soon as possible regarding this topic.

Feel free to leave an update here if you find out something.

I was told by them that Mi5/6 is holding a software engineering DA this year and they will be bringing back the cybersecurity Apprenticeship to start in 2025.
Reply 59
Original post by fredfsts
I was told by them that Mi5/6 is holding a software engineering DA this year and they will be bringing back the cybersecurity Apprenticeship to start in 2025.

Thank you and it makes sense now, but I got a very vague email back.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending