The Student Room Group

course change university

I'm about to start university (moving tomorrow) but I'm not happy with my degree choice. I'm certain I want to change. I've sent 2 emails in the past few weeks to the department with no response. I rang today and they said the course was completely full. I have no idea what to do because I'm literally about to move in and do the wrong degree. Pls someone help, (and don't tell me to take a gap year and reapply cos I'm not going to do that ) Thank you!!!
Hi there,

I am sorry to hear you are on the wrong course. My first recommendation would have been to email your university admissions but it sounds as though you have already done so.

It sounds as well like the course you want to switch to wont be possible this year. Every university has different rules about switching so its not always a guarantee that you will be able to.

My next advice would be to try and set up a proper meeting with your student services/admissions to discuss your options. It may be that there is a similar course you could transfer to or maybe you'll try your original course first to ensure its not for you. If its possible its better to do so sooner rather than later so if you're able to visit your university in person i would recommend. If not then i would recommend getting back into contact by phone or email and asking to set this meeting up (perhaps online or in person) so they can run you through what your options are.

Hope it all works out!
- Sophie (uni of Bath)
If you’re not willing to take a gap year and the other course is full then you’ve not really given yourself any options beyond completing a three year degree you’ve no interest in.
Reply 3
Withdraw.
As above, if your desired course is full then you have no choice but to withdraw and reapply next year or stay on and do the course you hate. Simple as that.
(edited 7 months ago)
Original post by s140805
I'm about to start university (moving tomorrow) but I'm not happy with my degree choice. I'm certain I want to change. I've sent 2 emails in the past few weeks to the department with no response. I rang today and they said the course was completely full. I have no idea what to do because I'm literally about to move in and do the wrong degree. Pls someone help, (and don't tell me to take a gap year and reapply cos I'm not going to do that ) Thank you!!!

If they've said the course is full then you just have to let them know you will be withdrawing and make plans around that.

You've had the answer, that it doesn't fit with your plans or hopes does not change that. You need to roll with the punches and make a new plan.
@s140805

What is it about the course that you are now unhappy with?

As said above, if you don't want to take a gap year and reapply, then you can either withdraw from the course or give it a chance.

I assume you have already paid for your accommodation, so I would opt for the second choice.

Have you spoken to your family?

All the best,

Oluwatosin 2nd year student University of Huddersfield

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending