Reply 20
Original post by jjlange
Prospective course: MSc in Advanced Computer Science
Achieved (or expected) grade: First-Class Honours
Nationality: German (settled status)
Current (or last) university: Goldsmiths, University of London
Current (or last) course: BSc in Computer Science
College preferences: Unsure
Other universities you’re applying to: Warwick (Unconditional offer received), UCL, Manchester, KCL

Hi! I'm also applying for the same Msc, can I ask what sort of research or professional experiences you have? I'm not sure what's expected for a competitive application
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
Reply 21
Original post by Sandtrooper
Welcome to everyone, and best of luck with your applications!

Prospective course:
Achieved (or expected) grade:
Nationality:
Current (or last) university:
Current (or last) course:

College preferences:
Other universities you’re applying to:

Disclaimer: Please note, unless stated otherwise, posters on this thread do not work for the Oxford's admissions department, therefore do not take our opinion as being 100% accurate. If you need certainty, contact Oxford directly.

Last year's thread: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7235099
2022 thread: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7053424

Prospective course: Msc Advanced Computer Science
Achieved (or expected) grade: UK First
Nationality: Italian
Current (or last) university: University of Pavia
Current (or last) course: Computer Engineering
College preferences: Not sure
Other universities you’re applying to: Cambrdige, Warwick

Can I ask everyone if it's normal/accepted to contact university professors for possible research together or some sort of support for the application process? I'm not sure if I am a competitive applicant at all, how important or not important professional experiences are and how important references are.
Reply 22
Original post by jjlange
Prospective course: MSc in Advanced Computer Science
Achieved (or expected) grade: First-Class Honours
Nationality: German (settled status)
Current (or last) university: Goldsmiths, University of London
Current (or last) course: BSc in Computer Science
College preferences: Unsure
Other universities you’re applying to: Warwick (Unconditional offer received), UCL, Manchester, KCL

I was wondering if you'd like to connect via email?
Reply 23
Original post by rick137
Prospective course: Msc Advanced Computer Science
Achieved (or expected) grade: UK First
Nationality: Italian
Current (or last) university: University of Pavia
Current (or last) course: Computer Engineering
College preferences: Not sure
Other universities you’re applying to: Cambrdige, Warwick

Can I ask everyone if it's normal/accepted to contact university professors for possible research together or some sort of support for the application process? I'm not sure if I am a competitive applicant at all, how important or not important professional experiences are and how important references are.

You can reach out to them. I've contacted a prospective supervisor at Oxford and they've requested a research proposal so that they can have a look (I'm applying for an MPhil). It doesn't hurt to reach out so you're on their radar before you submit your application
Reply 24
Original post by JadeEG
You can reach out to them. I've contacted a prospective supervisor at Oxford and they've requested a research proposal so that they can have a look (I'm applying for an MPhil). It doesn't hurt to reach out so you're on their radar before you submit your application

If I asked them to do a small research project with me, do you think I could then ask them to be a refrence? Or would that be unlikely?
Reply 25
Original post by rick137
Hi! I'm also applying for the same Msc, can I ask what sort of research or professional experiences you have? I'm not sure what's expected for a competitive application

Hiya! I had a 6-month high school internship at a software development company and completed two significant projects during my undergrad one in machine learning and communication, the other in the financial sector. I'm working on an app, which I plan to publish before sending my application. I was a course rep in my first year, did some COVID-related work, and have some personal experiences to add to the mix. Might score a job before applying too!

Not sure how competitive I am though.. especially with the number of people applying.
(edited 6 months ago)
Original post by babybarista1
Out of curiosity which MSt is it you want to do at Cambridge?

Climate & Environment Mst at cambridge or Practical Ethics at Oxford.

We have to schedule our chat
Prospective course: MPhil International Relations
Achieved (or expected) grade: First Class
Nationality: British
Current (or last) university: University of Surrey
Current (or last) course: International Relations BSc
College preferences: Maybe Balliol?
Other universities you’re applying to: St Andrews, Aberystwyth

I don’t feel particularly hopeful about my chances, but i’m sure everyone feels like that lol. I’m planning to reach out to some academics to see if they would be interested in my research (It’s sportswashing - i can’t help but feel it’s too lowbrow for oxford even if it’s innovative). One of my referees still hasn’t replied either so all round pretty stressful but we move!
Original post by meggymoo31

I don’t feel particularly hopeful about my chances, but i’m sure everyone feels like that lol. I’m planning to reach out to some academics to see if they would be interested in my research (It’s sportswashing - i can’t help but feel it’s too lowbrow for oxford even if it’s innovative). One of my referees still hasn’t replied either so all round pretty stressful but we move!

Good luck

Have you considered Cambridge

https://www.postgraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/courses/directory/popimpirp
Reply 29

For what it's worth, I think sportswashing is a really interesting topic. As I understand it, supervisor 'fit' matters much less for an MPhil than a DPhil and admissions is handled centrally anyway so you probably don't have to worry too much about speaking to a supervisor.

Good luck. I hope you get it!
thank you so much!
Hey everyone,
Prospective course: MSc South Asian Studies
Achieved (or expected) grade: 68% (high 2.1) in undergraduate(law LLB) & merit in masters (law LLM)
Nationality: Pakistani
Current (or last) university: King’s College London
Current (or last) course: Masters in Law
College preferences: Balliol
Other universities you’re applying to: Cambridge, SOAS(for PhD only)
Would like to connect with anyone applying for similar/same courses.
Reply 32
thank you so much!

I forgot to say, definitely consider Cambridge as well. Applying to both can only increase your chances of admission.
Reply 33
Hello lovelies,
Prospective course: DPhil English Lit
Achieved (or expected) grade: First Class at undergrad
Nationality: Iatlian
Current (or last) university: University of Oxford
Current (or last) course: Mst in English Literature (1830-1914)
College preferences: N/A
Other universities you’re applying to: Cambridge
Guys, about my college preferences: can anyone advise which colleges I should put down as preferences if I want to increase my funding as a DPhil student in English Literature? Someone suggested Keble and LMH but they're postgraduate scholarship pages mention no funding specifically targeted to English. Thankful for any insights!
Original post by Prisca88
Hello lovelies,
Prospective course: DPhil English Lit
Achieved (or expected) grade: First Class at undergrad
Nationality: Iatlian
Current (or last) university: University of Oxford
Current (or last) course: Mst in English Literature (1830-1914)
College preferences: N/A
Other universities you’re applying to: Cambridge
Guys, about my college preferences: can anyone advise which colleges I should put down as preferences if I want to increase my funding as a DPhil student in English Literature? Someone suggested Keble and LMH but they're postgraduate scholarship pages mention no funding specifically targeted to English. Thankful for any insights!

You could try St John’s or Christ Church
Reply 35
I wanted to ask what is the benefit of applying to the November Deadline.
Original post by ayusamb
I wanted to ask what is the benefit of applying to the November Deadline.

You have the chance to secure a place earlier than other deadlines. Some courses select candidates on a rolling basis and get full quickly. If you have a strong application, i would suggest apply by then.
Reply 37
Original post by Wired_1800
You have the chance to secure a place earlier than other deadlines. Some courses select candidates on a rolling basis and get full quickly. If you have a strong application, i would suggest apply by then.

Thank you for the reply!
Ohh. So is it possible to get a decision by December?
How will we get to know which courses select students on a rolling basis?
Thank You!
(edited 5 months ago)
Original post by ayusamb
Thank you for the reply!
Ohh. So is it possible to get a decision by December?
How will we get to know which courses select students on a rolling basis?
Thank You!

Yes, it is possible for some courses to inform their applicants by December or January.

I cannot tell you all courses that review applications on a rolling basis but you would have to check for your course interest. I do know that Oxford MBA tends to select candidates on a rolling basis.

https://www.sbs.ox.ac.uk/programmes/mbas/mba/how-apply

Finally, there are some people who want to study at Oxford for the name and not really about specific courses. If you fail into that category, I’d suggest that you make multiple applications to different courses (if you meet the requirements), that way you can maximise your chances.

Good luck
(edited 5 months ago)
Hi guys. I am currently working through my application for the DPhil course in English at Oxford and had a question regarding the funding section of the application portal.
The portal asks that applicants interested in OOC funding*need to complete and upload the relevant supporting statement template by attaching it in the Supporting Documents section. I thought that in order to create an AHRC OOC funding application, I would need to have been admitted to the institution and have a supervisor assigned to me - is this correct? If so, does anyone know what sort of supporting statement should I attach to the application portal to be considered for OOC funding?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending