The Student Room Group
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford

Official Oxford 2022 Postgraduate Applicants Thread

I thought I'd make this in advance. Welcome to everyone, and best of luck with your applications!

Prospective course:
Achieved (or expected) grade:
Nationality:
Current (or last) university:
Current (or last) course:

College preferences:
Other universities you’re applying to:

Disclaimer: Please note, unless stated otherwise, posters on this thread do not work for the Oxford's admissions department, therefore do not take our opinion as being 100% accurate. If you need certainty, contact Oxford directly.
(edited 2 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Prospective course: International Relations
Achieved (or expected) grade: First, as far as second-year average is going.
Nationality: British
Current (or last) university: King's College London
Current (or last) course: Philosophy, Politics, and Economics
College preferences: Haven't made up my mind
Other universities you’re applying to: Not sure but probably Cambridge, UCL
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
Reply 2
Prospective course: DPhil- History of Art
Achieved (or expected) grade: Current- 4.0 with Honors
Nationality: USA
Current (or last) university: Lindenwood University
Current (or last) course: MA- Art History and Visual Culture
College preferences: Magdalen- I applied here because it offers 2 years of graduate accommodation and it is beautiful!
Other universities you’re applying to: University of Warwick, Princeton
(edited 2 years ago)
Prospective course: MSt Practical Ethics
Achieved (or expected) grade: First. Currently on a four year degree, recieved straight firsts for my first honours year. Final grade is equally weighted between third and fourth year.
Nationality: British/Scottish.
Current (or last) university: Glasgow.
Current (or last) course: Philosophy.
College preferences: no preference.
Other universities you’re applying to: Edinburgh, Glasgow.

How is everyone feeling about applying? Applications open soon! This summer is flying by.
Prospective course: History
Achieved (or expected) grade: First class honours
Current (or last) university: I went to a non-traditional online university in the USA. Currently taking an undergrad diploma and certificate at Cambridge
Current (or last) course: Political Science (degree) History (diploma)
College preferences: really unsure 😐 Keble, St Johns, Oriel or Trinity
Other universities you’re applying to: Cambridge and possibly Edinburgh and Harvard maybe Columbia but Oxford is my absolute first choice
Reply 5
Prospective course: DPhil in History
Achieved (or expected) grade: First class with honours (undergrad), on track for distinction in postgrad
Current (or last) university: Exeter
Current (or last) course: English Lit (undergrad), History (postgrad)
Other universities you’re applying to: most likely York and Edinburgh
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 6
Prospective course: English Lit Masters
Achieved (or expected) grade: 2.1 (8 years ago, have been working in IB since)
Current (or last) university: Exeter
Current (or last) course: English Lit
College preferences: Unknown
Other universities you’re applying to: UCL, KCL, Exeter
(edited 2 years ago)
Prospective course: Child development and education
Achieved (or expected) grade: achieved 69% in year two hopefully a first next year)
Nationality:
Current (or last) university: University of Bristol
Current (or last) course: Childhood Studied with Management
College preferences: haven think of this
Other universities you’re applying to: possibly UCL, KCL, EDINBURGH, BRISTOL
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 8
Prospective course: MPhil in Modern Chinese Studies
Achieved (or expected) grade: A high 2:1 or a First depending on the university's requirements.
Nationality: French
Current (or last) university: Institut Catholique de Rennes
Current (or last) course: English language, literature and civilisation with a minor in Law and International relations
College preferences: St Anthony's, Merton
Other universities you’re applying to: The University of Groningen (Netherlands)
Does anyone have a more realistic breakdown of living costs? Who spends £400 (or even 280, right now I'm spending just over 100 with no attempt to be economical) per month on food? And I would think I'd be able to get accommodation for a bit less than £650 per month.
(edited 2 years ago)
Prospective course: OMMS
Achieved (or expected) grade: 90 first year, 87 second
Current (or last) university: Warwick
Current (or last) course: Maths
College preferences: I have Keble written down, can't remember why
Other universities you’re applying to: Cambridge
Prospective course: DPhil Socio-Legal Studies
Achieved (or expected) grade: 94/100 (Undergraduate), Distinction (Masters)
Current (or last) university: LSE
Current (or last) course: LLM
College preferences: No idea.
Other universities you’re applying to: LSE, Cambridge, maybe UCL
Reply 12
Hello All!

I would be interested in hearing from any DPhil applicants about reaching out to potential supervisors. Have you made contact with them and how long did it take to hear back after your initial email? Also, any advice on the best Oxford colleges for doctoral students of a certain vintage that are not mature colleges?
Hi everyone:smile:

Does someone have an idea of when is best time to send off your application? i.e when are chances of getting in highest
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by aspiringacademic
Prospective Course(s): DPhil Oriental Studies and Mst Late Antique and Byzantine Studies
Achieved Grades: BA First-Class Honours
Current University/Course: University of Cambridge/MPhil Assyriology (With Cambridge University Trust scholarship)
Previous University/Course: University of Durham, BA Theology and Religion
College Preferences: Undecided
Other Universities applying for: Cambridge and Durham

I saw your post in the Cambridge thread - congratulations. Just a heads up, Cambridge might not let you apply for a PhD whilst you're doing an MPhil (although Oxford might, so you're probably fine here). I know that happened for a few people this year.

Also, there's definitely no need to do a second masters like the MSt you mentioned above, unless you're switching fields, or you're loaded. I only know of one person doing that, and they were funded for both (which is extremely, extremely rare).
Original post by Tuthmosis III
I saw your post in the Cambridge thread - congratulations. Just a heads up, Cambridge might not let you apply for a PhD whilst you're doing an MPhil (although Oxford might, so you're probably fine here). I know that happened for a few people this year.

Also, there's definitely no need to do a second masters like the MSt you mentioned above, unless you're switching fields, or you're loaded. I only know of one person doing that, and they were funded for both (which is extremely, extremely rare).

Thank you so much!

Oooo this is so useful to know, thank you!!! Yeah I'm only going to do either course if I get funding and then take a year out and reapply if it doesn't work out this year. I figured this year can be a trial run as I heard it is a bit of a gamble whilst doing your MPhil.
Original post by aspiringacademic
Thank you so much!

Oooo this is so useful to know, thank you!!! Yeah I'm only going to do either course if I get funding and then take a year out and reapply if it doesn't work out this year. I figured this year can be a trial run as I heard it is a bit of a gamble whilst doing your MPhil.

Yeah, this year I know that only 1 out of 75 of the MPhil students in the department who didn't do UG there got a funded PhD. I know at least 3 people who are going for Oxford and Cambridge for Oriental Studies/Assyriology PhD funding this upcoming cycle, so it's going to be rough. To get AHRC funding, you need to be nominated by your department - against other students who have already been there for a year, or even three, and have a fully fleshed out PhD thesis proposal by December at the absolute latest. This isn't to say that it's not possible, but just a heads up, it's going to be really tough, and even more so this year. You'll have to make your intentions very clear to a potential supervisor at the earliest possibility. Out of the Egyptology students, there were a few who were really good but they weren't even allowed to apply for PhD funding this year, and there was no funding given to Assyriology students, either, even though a few did apply for a PhD.
Prospective course: Unsure
Achieved (or expected) grade: First achieved
Nationality: UK
Current (or last) university: Warwick
Current (or last) course: Biochemistry
College preferences: Open
Other universities you’re applying to: Cam & Ox.
applications seem to have just opened fwiw
Reply 19
Prospective course: Bachelor of Civil Law
Achieved (or expected) grade: First Class Honours
Nationality: Australian
Current (or last) university: middling Australian uni, though one that normally gets 1 or 2 to Oxford and Cambridge law a year
Current (or last) course: Bachelor of Laws
College preferences: I've been advised to prefer Magdalen but I don't personally care
Other universities you’re applying to: Cambridge, undecided whether to try for the American unis

Quick Reply

Latest