The Student Room Group
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford

Official Oxford 2024 Postgraduate Applicants Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jcat894
Hi Guys. One of my professors has not sent in my reference yet despite my deadline being tomorrow. Is it ad if they sent it in after the deadline? Will my application not be considered?

It depends on the course I think. Which course, and does your application self service say 'ready for assesment'?
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
Reply 61
Original post by Anonymous #5
It depends on the course I think. Which course, and does your application self service say 'ready for assesment'?

Yes it does
Reply 62
Original post by Anonymous #1
Hi everyone!
Prospective course: MSc African Studies
Achieved (or expected) grade: 1st class equivalent
Nationality: Chinese
Current (or last) university: Beijing Foreign Studies University & University of Nairobi
Current (or last) course: BA Swahili (minor in diplomacy)
College preferences: Oriel
Other universities you’re applying to: Cambridge, LSE, SOAS
Would love to connect with anyone applying for courses in African as well as developmental studies!

hi dear
have you got a Swahili bachelor from Nairobi university?
Original post by Jcat894
Yes it does

In that case I think you're alright. As I understand it, applications for at least some subject can be considered without the third reference although they might ask you to submit it later before they make an offer. You should probably still aim to get him/her to send it asap.

That said, I'm not an expert and it may be worth calling the admissions team if you can find a number rather than trusting a random guy on the internet.
Actually, I just checked the website. You're almost certainly fine.

"You must register three referees as part of your graduate application. However, you need only two references submitted in time for the application deadline to be considered ready for assessment, as long as your application is otherwise complete.

You are still encouraged to obtain a third reference as early as possible, so that it can be taken into consideration when your application is assessed. The academic department assessing your application may ask you to have a third reference submitted before making a final decision"
Original post by Jcat894
Hi Guys. One of my professors has not sent in my reference yet despite my deadline being tomorrow. Is it ad if they sent it in after the deadline? Will my application not be considered?

I dont think so. Keep chasing the Professor for the reference.
Reply 66
Original post by Rampage88
I was looking at the data science stream as well but I think I may go for general stream. Was there any reason you choose the data science stream? For UCL, I’ll be doing the computational statistics and machine learning masters. What about you?

Hi,

Can we connect on DM?
Reply 67
Hi,

I wanted to ask if we can update the department about some achievement which we were not able to do while submitting the application?

Lik about some award or some publication? Can we mail them about that?
(edited 4 months ago)
Has anyone heard back for an interview or anything for the November deadline?
Original post by Anonymous #4
Has anyone heard back for an interview or anything for the November deadline?

I think interviews/decisions will start going out by 20th
Original post by Anonymous #6
I think interviews/decisions will start going out by 20th

I see do you know when they will stop reviewing applications for the Christmas break? Should I assume if my course stated there will be interview conducted, at least I wont have an interview before Christmas?
I see do you know when they will stop reviewing applications for the Christmas break? Should I assume if my course stated there will be interview conducted, at least I wont have an interview before Christmas?

no I don't know about that

Never say never, but it's unlikely. This week is undergraduate interview week so that will be absorbing enormous amounts of effort. After that, everyone will be looking to close down for the holidays so I wouldn't expect them to fit in an interview this side of Xmas.
Original post by Anonymous #5

Never say never, but it's unlikely. This week is undergraduate interview week so that will be absorbing enormous amounts of effort. After that, everyone will be looking to close down for the holidays so I wouldn't expect them to fit in an interview this side of Xmas.

I see thank you! Hopefully hear something good soon! Fingers crossed
I am wondering if the MSc in Sustainability, Enterprise and Environment accepts applicants on a rolling or batch basis. Despite heckling my references, two missed the November 10th deadline and I was notified my application would move to the January deadline. Now that all my references are submitted the status now reads ‘ready for assessment in January deadline’. Does this mean I will not be considered until January?
Original post by Gradstudent2024
I am wondering if the MSc in Sustainability, Enterprise and Environment accepts applicants on a rolling or batch basis. Despite heckling my references, two missed the November 10th deadline and I was notified my application would move to the January deadline. Now that all my references are submitted the status now reads ‘ready for assessment in January deadline’. Does this mean I will not be considered until January?

Yes I think that's what it means.
Reply 76
Original post by Sandtrooper
Welcome to everyone, and best of luck with your applications!

Prospective course:
Achieved (or expected) grade:
Nationality:
Current (or last) university:
Current (or last) course:

College preferences:
Other universities you’re applying to:

Disclaimer: Please note, unless stated otherwise, posters on this thread do not work for the Oxford's admissions department, therefore do not take our opinion as being 100% accurate. If you need certainty, contact Oxford directly.

Last year's thread: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7235099
2022 thread: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7053424

Hi everyone, I wanted to apply to Msc in Advanced Computer Science, but I also started my application on the course Msc in Foundations of Mathematics and Computer Science, this course says that the entry requirements are that the undergraduate degree which one holds must have significant mathematical content, would a Computer Engineering degree be sufficient? I'm not sure whether I would make a competitive applicant without a Math degree, but I have had experiences in the areas of math the Msc course covers via competitions in high school and uni.
Original post by rick137
Hi everyone, I wanted to apply to Msc in Advanced Computer Science, but I also started my application on the course Msc in Foundations of Mathematics and Computer Science, this course says that the entry requirements are that the undergraduate degree which one holds must have significant mathematical content, would a Computer Engineering degree be sufficient? I'm not sure whether I would make a competitive applicant without a Math degree, but I have had experiences in the areas of math the Msc course covers via competitions in high school and uni.

You would have to ask your course. I would apply and hope for the best. Apply to both courses, if possible.
Original post by Anonymous #6
Yes I think that's what it means.

That’s what I was thinking, it did change today from ‘ready for assessment in January deadline’ to ‘ready for assessment’ not sure if that means anything different
Original post by Gradstudent2024
That’s what I was thinking, it did change today from ‘ready for assessment in January deadline’ to ‘ready for assessment’ not sure if that means anything different

Fingers crossed. Hopefully you will be assessed in the November deadline

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending