The Student Room Group

I think i'm losing a friendship because of the Israel-Palestine conflict

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
what does that mean

Please Rep Some Other Member
You get this message on TSR if you've repped one particular member too often and the site won't allow any more reps until reps have been given to a few other people who have not been repped recently.
what does that mean

For Muslims it's always a religion issue so they only support Palestinians as they are Muslims.
Original post by Idkwhattopick
Hello. You have just lost a friendship. I understand that you feel you weren’t in the wrong but you need to see things from her side too. She’s and many other Muslims are going through an incredibly emotional time right now with the death count rises every minute in Palestine. How much she feel seeing her “friend” post something to do with Israel. Of course you were just empathising with that israelis deaths but what about that Palestinian deaths she is sad over too. Understand? Try and see it from her perspective too! Yeah maybe you were just seeing it from a politic perspective or whatever but that’s why you be careful about what you are posting.

point is that your friend is witnessing an ethic genocide mate, try and have some empathy for her. Palestinians are being literally slaughtered. I’m not here to convince or change your mind coz what u support doesn’t bother me. But there’s a lesson to be learnt here, don’t post things that you don’t have 100% knowledge about, see how you’ve hurt your friend as a result.

The lack of empathy and wish to understand someone else's view point in your reply is sadly one of the main reasons why there is so much conflict in the world where religious and cultural views claim to have primacy.

Your post implies that @Anonymous is losing their friend because of a lack of empathy - 'Try and see it from her perspective too' - Your own tone of post is sadly unhelpful and quite oppressive in its tone.

"Yeah maybe you were just seeing it from a politic perspective or whatever but that’s why you be careful about what you are posting"

"Don't post things that you don't have 100% knowledge about, see how you've hurt your friend as a result"

This is the UK where freedom of speech should be upheld at all costs and is crucial to democratic debate.

This is why TST debates and discuss all opinions and viewpoints, and its members do not just parrot a polarised view on any subject. That is the pleasure of UK living. Some may not like that and claim theirs is the only valid viewpoint. Even if you don't like it. That is precisely why many conflicts continue because there is no tolerance and there is no trust.

This is an open forum where almost any subject can be discussed and everyone's level of knowledge will be different. You don't need 100% knowledge to talk about something here, and to make a thinly veiled threat about 'being careful about what is posted' is quite simply shameful.
Original post by Dazza07h
Yeah I second this, although the mass murders go are towards Israel mainly this time, not to mention to rise of anti-Semitism. But this is a very touchy subject, so it's better to avoid it and just be really understanding. People with their heritage linked with the country in question, it's natural to side with them. Although this war is already doing enough damage, so why add losing a friendship to that?

However, I would find it hard to understand someone who is ignorant to the 100s brutally killed in Israel, not to mention non-Israelis. In addition to the demonization of Israel due to using weapons only for defense.

hmm sure what about the 1000s of palestinians killed before them. try educating yourself before justifying a genocide. i am a catholic and it as clear as mud what this is
Israel has had claim to the territory for thousands of years? But until the 20th century it got complicated, as jews started to go back to their land of heritage, which many left due to conflicts, so tell me who has a better claim to this land? Israel is committing atrocities, yes, not denying, but whatever they do is in response to the terrorist group of Hamas. Did you not hear about the 1000s killed in Israel? Babies slaughtered, children abducted? After this Israel decided to retaliate, if they do not defend themselves they will be wiped out. However both sides are to blame in many areas, so this isn't as binary as you state.

yeah yeah we all know defence is bombing refugee camps, hospitals, churches and mosques.
Original post by BlueEyesHypnotiz
For Muslims it's always a religion issue so they only support Palestinians as they are Muslims.

not only muslims. i am catholic and i support palestine because i have morals. also not only muslims are suffering in palestine. christians are too. dont make this genocide a religious issue.
Reply 26
yeah yeah we all know defence is bombing refugee camps, hospitals, churches and mosques.

Well i mean hamas hiding in them for human-meatshield is totally okay.. (cough.. cough.. 6000+ rockets fired into israel..) (btw yeh i get ur point, neither side imo is supportable in politics, but i support the people of palestine and israel)
(edited 5 months ago)
Reply 27
Original post by Idkwhattopick
Hello. You have just lost a friendship. I understand that you feel you weren’t in the wrong but you need to see things from her side too. She’s and many other Muslims are going through an incredibly emotional time right now with the death count rises every minute in Palestine. How much she feel seeing her “friend” post something to do with Israel. Of course you were just empathising with that israelis deaths but what about that Palestinian deaths she is sad over too. Understand? Try and see it from her perspective too! Yeah maybe you were just seeing it from a politic perspective or whatever but that’s why you be careful about what you are posting.

point is that your friend is witnessing an ethic genocide mate, try and have some empathy for her. Palestinians are being literally slaughtered. I’m not here to convince or change your mind coz what u support doesn’t bother me. But there’s a lesson to be learnt here, don’t post things that you don’t have 100% knowledge about, see how you’ve hurt your friend as a result.

Unfortunately theres only so far you can converse practically, logically and intelligently with your friend before it will inevitably descend into dogma rhetoric and hyper emotionalization. This because the premise of the arab vs jew conflicts and deep seated in the basis of irrational belief ie " Mohammed said this, Abraham said that" etc. Depressingly the mass loss of life is less important to these people than winning the ideological and semi-political argument. For example you could ask your friend why she is more upset about what happens gaza than, for example the quarter of million muslim yemenis that have been killed in essentially the most recent Shia muslims vs sunni muslim conflict . Sadly life is cheap to both sides of this ideological debate.

The israelis only care that the land 'they were promised 5000 years ago' is safeguarded - they say muslims know this too, in their own teachings. Muslims themselves respond saying Mohammed came along later and flipped the script. The result is endless conflict still going on to this day

Stupid isnt it

NB i realise now that reply is not the OP
(edited 5 months ago)
Well i mean hamas hiding in them for human-meatshield is totally okay.. (cough.. cough.. 6000+ rockets fired into israel..) (btw yeh i get ur point, neither side imo is supportable in politics, but i support the people of palestine and israel)

So you're saying if a mass shooter entered a school or a mall then it's okay to bomb the school/mall because the people inside were "meatshields"??

Hmm and your proof?? Israel has failed to deliver any proof about the whereabouts of Hamas and that they actually are hiding there.
Also please look up how many rockets and bombs Israel has fired into Palestine.
I’m sorry but you can’t support both sides of a genocide.
Palestinians are being subjected to ethnic cleansing.
Even the UN has condemned Israel for committing war crimes. And Israel doesn’t even care about the hostages they have bombed 57 to death so far.
Reply 30
Hmm and your proof?? Israel has failed to deliver any proof about the whereabouts of Hamas and that they actually are hiding there.
Also please look up how many rockets and bombs Israel has fired into Palestine.
I’m sorry but you can’t support both sides of a genocide.
Palestinians are being subjected to ethnic cleansing.
Even the UN has condemned Israel for committing war crimes. And Israel doesn’t even care about the hostages they have bombed 57 to death so far.

Yeah i tried to look tbh for how many israel fired into palestine (google search is useless sometimes) in order to not have confirmation bias. Pls can you tell me? Not being sarcastic or anything js want to know.

https://apnews.com/article/iron-dome-missile-defense-israel-palestinians-rockets-hamas-f57508d0e53945d1071d4582fcdae8d2
https://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/palestinian-rocket-and-mortar-attacks-against-israel
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/how-israel-iron-dome-intercepts-rockets/

And lets not pretend that with that amount of bombs a LOT more people would be killed in israel, if it werent for the iron dome technology.
The lack of empathy and wish to understand someone else's view point in your reply is sadly one of the main reasons why there is so much conflict in the world where religious and cultural views claim to have primacy.

Your post implies that @Anonymous is losing their friend because of a lack of empathy - 'Try and see it from her perspective too' - Your own tone of post is sadly unhelpful and quite oppressive in its tone.

"Yeah maybe you were just seeing it from a politic perspective or whatever but that’s why you be careful about what you are posting"

"Don't post things that you don't have 100% knowledge about, see how you've hurt your friend as a result"

This is the UK where freedom of speech should be upheld at all costs and is crucial to democratic debate.

This is why TST debates and discuss all opinions and viewpoints, and its members do not just parrot a polarised view on any subject. That is the pleasure of UK living. Some may not like that and claim theirs is the only valid viewpoint. Even if you don't like it. That is precisely why many conflicts continue because there is no tolerance and there is no trust.

This is an open forum where almost any subject can be discussed and everyone's level of knowledge will be different. You don't need 100% knowledge to talk about something here, and to make a thinly veiled threat about 'being careful about what is posted' is quite simply shameful.

PRSOM
Yeah i tried to look tbh for how many israel fired into palestine (google search is useless sometimes) in order to not have confirmation bias. Pls can you tell me? Not being sarcastic or anything js want to know.

https://apnews.com/article/iron-dome-missile-defense-israel-palestinians-rockets-hamas-f57508d0e53945d1071d4582fcdae8d2
https://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/palestinian-rocket-and-mortar-attacks-against-israel

And lets not pretend that with that amount of bombs a LOT more people would be killed in israel, if it werent for the iron dome technology.

Sure but I did ask for proof of Hamas being located in churches and mosques and hospitals (and now ambulances annd refugee camps) and none of those sources confirm that.
https://www.politico.eu/article/israel-bomb-ambulance-convoy-gaza-hospital-al-shifa/
https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2023/11/03/middleeast/casualties-gazas-shifa-hospital-idf/index.html
https://www.palestinechronicle.com/no-place-for-joy-israel-bombs-gaza-wedding-hall-kills-26-people/
also check out aljazeera for more

and stats came out saying Israel has bombed Palestine with more tonnes than the tonnes of explosives within the Hiroshima attack

also I don’t really get what your trying to say with your last point.
the fact is children and babies are dying and here people are trying to justify it.

Also look within one week Israel did this

https://www.aljazeera.com/amp/news/2023/10/12/israel-says-6000-bombs-dropped-on-gaza-as-war-with-hamas-nears-a-week

Also Israel bombed a car in Lebanon which killed a grandma and her grandchildren.
Go check bbc
Original post by Anonymous #1
I think I am losing a 10-year friendship with my closest friend because of the Israel-Palestine conflict. Just some background, I am actually British-Filipino so I am not even part of this conflict, but as a Politics and Economics student, I am interested in current affairs so no doubt, the Israel-Palestine has got me reading and watching more videos about it.

I can write another post about my personal thoughts about this conflict in depth but for now I just want to focus on my current problem with my best friend. She is Arab and is very passionate about this conflict and I tried talking to her about my thoughts and how I analysed where I thought this situation was going. BTW, I refuse to even choose who to support (in short, my politics thinking is in the belief that the UK should only focus on their internal problems and European issues and by extension ex-colonies because Europe is our neighbour and we should not be sending billions of pounds to countries when we have our own problems to deal with). I say this to my friend alongside my political analysis on who had the upper-hand and came to the conclusion that Palestinians were truly going to suffer and I pray for the many innocents who are going to die from both sides as well as the failure of leadership, and completely against international aid from countries like the US who are nowhere NEAR these countries. I also mentioned the important factor of geopolitics and how although Israel was surrounded by enemies and such, they still had the upper hand of cargo drops for weaponry. All in all, I pretty much emphasized my lack of stance here, my empathy and hope that this conflict will soon come to an end.

What was I met with? I was met with messages with hostility and sarcasm that pointed me to be a fool and that I was misinformed and suffered from propaganda for my empathy for Israel even though I did not once say that I supported them, I only empathised with the loses - I made it clear that I was just analysing this from a curious Politics student. I explained myself over and over but they kept on saying how my points were invalid apart from a few - but it made me feel stupid. I did watch hours of videos and read multiple articles online ranging from different sources so I could see this conflict from different perspectives - I tried my best to be educated in this conflict and even if I was misinformed, I would have loved it if my friend would have just approached it in a friendlier manner like I was just their friend and not a supporter and I would have loved to learn from her intellect and wise nature.

But I'm left distraught, stupid, and have felt like I have just lost a friend. And it wasn't even that we disagreed on the Israel-Palestine conflict - we analysed things similarly, but I think she really hated my British foreign policy of just not getting involved and also my empathy towards the people who lost their lives in the recent attacks. I don't want to lose this friendship but I dont know how to ever approach them again if all they see in me is a political disagreement and not the 10 years we spent talking about books, classes, teachers, e.t.c.

Sorry to say, but your friend is actually better off without you. If after all you've seen, you think you're in the right, then your friend needs better friends than you. Also, maybe politics isn't really your thing, you still have time to change! Best of luck to your friend ❤️
Original post by Anonymous #1
I think I am losing a 10-year friendship with my closest friend because of the Israel-Palestine conflict. Just some background, I am actually British-Filipino so I am not even part of this conflict, but as a Politics and Economics student, I am interested in current affairs so no doubt, the Israel-Palestine has got me reading and watching more videos about it.

I can write another post about my personal thoughts about this conflict in depth but for now I just want to focus on my current problem with my best friend. She is Arab and is very passionate about this conflict and I tried talking to her about my thoughts and how I analysed where I thought this situation was going. BTW, I refuse to even choose who to support (in short, my politics thinking is in the belief that the UK should only focus on their internal problems and European issues and by extension ex-colonies because Europe is our neighbour and we should not be sending billions of pounds to countries when we have our own problems to deal with). I say this to my friend alongside my political analysis on who had the upper-hand and came to the conclusion that Palestinians were truly going to suffer and I pray for the many innocents who are going to die from both sides as well as the failure of leadership, and completely against international aid from countries like the US who are nowhere NEAR these countries. I also mentioned the important factor of geopolitics and how although Israel was surrounded by enemies and such, they still had the upper hand of cargo drops for weaponry. All in all, I pretty much emphasized my lack of stance here, my empathy and hope that this conflict will soon come to an end.

What was I met with? I was met with messages with hostility and sarcasm that pointed me to be a fool and that I was misinformed and suffered from propaganda for my empathy for Israel even though I did not once say that I supported them, I only empathised with the loses - I made it clear that I was just analysing this from a curious Politics student. I explained myself over and over but they kept on saying how my points were invalid apart from a few - but it made me feel stupid. I did watch hours of videos and read multiple articles online ranging from different sources so I could see this conflict from different perspectives - I tried my best to be educated in this conflict and even if I was misinformed, I would have loved it if my friend would have just approached it in a friendlier manner like I was just their friend and not a supporter and I would have loved to learn from her intellect and wise nature.

But I'm left distraught, stupid, and have felt like I have just lost a friend. And it wasn't even that we disagreed on the Israel-Palestine conflict - we analysed things similarly, but I think she really hated my British foreign policy of just not getting involved and also my empathy towards the people who lost their lives in the recent attacks. I don't want to lose this friendship but I dont know how to ever approach them again if all they see in me is a political disagreement and not the 10 years we spent talking about books, classes, teachers, e.t.c.

Hey.
I completely understand where you're coming from. I too believe that I shouldn't pick a side in this conflict because it seems too unfair seeing as innocent people are dying on both sides, right now though I won't get into too much polictical reasoning since this is more about your friendship.

I would be happy to have a friend who is willing to educate themselves about a topic that I feel deeply about. The fact that your friend isn't appreciating your research and opinion although you've listened to their view and feelings says a lot already.
I think, if you want to approach this person again you should say smth like, "hey I hope I didn't offend you with what I said, I just wanted to let you know my thoughts but I still respect what you said and I have no problem with learning more about what you think just as long as you're willing to understand my side too."
That's a lot I know but you don't have to say all of that. It's important to not say sorry since it's your opinion and there's no shame in it obvs. I do realise that I am late so you may have already resolved this but I did really relate to what you were talking about.
Hope this is somewhat useul.
Imagine telling a black friend you empathise with Chauvin and you see both sides and hold no particular stance on the George Floyd situation. You see how someone would be offended? It’s very different when a situation has no personal connection to you but people are allowed to be sensitive to certain topics
Imagine telling a black friend you empathise with Chauvin and you see both sides and hold no particular stance on the George Floyd situation. You see how someone would be offended? It’s very different when a situation has no personal connection to you but people are allowed to be sensitive to certain topics

Bit of a generalisation and ignorance to bulk a group of people to have exactly the same view of things. It's not very appropriate to compare against the topic at hand.
Politics, religion and money have long been issues of conflict between people of the same ethnic groups.
Original post by SoonToBeExpat
Bit of a generalisation and ignorance to bulk a group of people to have exactly the same view of things. It's not very appropriate to compare against the topic at hand.

It’s just a comparison. Of course not all black people share the same views same way not all arabs or Muslims would share the same views on Palestine but there is still a significant portion than do hold those views and would be sensitive to the topic. My point is that you can’t criticise someone for being passionate and sensitive to a topic you have no personal attachment to.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending