The Student Room Group

I think i'm losing a friendship because of the Israel-Palestine conflict

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
This post really annoyed me

Your view is INCREDIBLY respectful. This country should focus on itself. A toddler in nursery could get that right. Your friend is totally entitled to her obvious Pro-Palestine stance. But attacking someone verbally over it is very immature and indicative of how, unlike you, they probably know nothing about the conflict and are just following the crowd (which is ridiculously Pro-Palestine)

If I get attacked by the Pro-Palestine people here, so be it. I am not mentioning my viewpoint though, which is irrelevant. The point is, everyone is allowed to think what they think but if you are willing to end a friendship with someone over their different opinion, it just is a sign of really being pathetic.

The argument "She's very emotional becuase of the 'ethnic genocide!' is also pointless. You cannot properly sympathize with someone unless you are in this situation. So if she wants to go into the Gaza Strip and experience the 'suffering' of the Palestinians then be my guest.

Also, kudos to you for not outright supporting Israel. I would find that very hard to do given what Islamic fundamentalism has done to the world.
Reply 61
Original post by Dazza07h
Israel has had claim to the territory for thousands of years? But until the 20th century it got complicated, as jews started to go back to their land of heritage, which many left due to conflicts, so tell me who has a better claim to this land? Israel is committing atrocities, yes, not denying, but whatever they do is in response to the terrorist group of Hamas. Did you not hear about the 1000s killed in Israel? Babies slaughtered, children abducted? After this Israel decided to retaliate, if they do not defend themselves they will be wiped out. However both sides are to blame in many areas, so this isn't as binary as you state.

This argument is completely wrong. No one has the rights to a piece of land because their ancestors lived there.. also the palestinians are literally descendants of the indigenous people of that land, israelis are not. Wether palestine existed as a nation or not, the fact is that palestinian arabs have been living in those lands for centuries. European jews can not just come and expel people from those lands because "god said so". Also your figures are false. the confirmed civillian death toll is just under 700 with 36 children and only 1 confirmed baby killed. compare that to the 10,000+ children killed in gaza. That 1% of gazas entire child population. If you were to adjust that to the uks child population that would be 140,000 children killed in 3 months. That is not a proportionate response. Israel is commiting genocide
Reply 62
Original post by Dazza07h
Okay yes you’re right, that post was during the crisis so there was a lot of mixed information. I was looking at multiple sources due to a lotttt of false information, E.g. CNN would exaggerate on Israel’s part, and Al Jazeera would exaggerate on Palestine’s side. But what I find ironic is that there were plenty of babies slaughtered in Israel TOO. And in very very immoral ways.

There were not plenty of babies only 1
Reply 63
Original post by MangaFury
There were not plenty of babies only 1

There were many slaughtered in the Kibbutzim, only one kidnapped.
Reply 64
Original post by Kathy89
There were many slaughtered in the Kibbutzim, only one kidnapped.

Source?
Reply 65
Source?

https://efe.com/en/latest-news/2023-10-13/israel-releases-photos-of-babies-killed-by-hamas/

Later more evidence will be released. It is still classified and under investigation, but army an zaka claim there are many babies.
Reply 66
Original post by Kathy89
https://efe.com/en/latest-news/2023-10-13/israel-releases-photos-of-babies-killed-by-hamas/

Later more evidence will be released. It is still classified and under investigation, but army an zaka claim there are many babies.

This isnt a credible source, just annecdotal accounts of supposed dead babies. It makes no mention of how many supposed babies were killed.The state of israel themselves have only confirmed 1 dead 10 month old according to their social security data.
Reply 67
This isnt a credible source, just annecdotal accounts of supposed dead babies. It makes no mention of how many supposed babies were killed.The state of israel themselves have only confirmed 1 dead 10 month old according to their social security data.

They never said that only one was killed. They only confirmed that a specific one was killed, never said she was the only one, means that there are more. Many names of those who were killed yet to be published for multiple reasons. And there are still those who considered missing. (not only babies).
Reply 68
Original post by Kathy89
They never said that only one was killed. They only confirmed that a specific one was killed, never said she was the only one, means that there are more. Many names of those who were killed yet to be published for multiple reasons. And there are still those who considered missing. (not only babies).

Well as of now there is only one confirmed baby killed and 36 children killed in total. that pales in comparison to the 10,000+ children killed in gaza, with potentially thousands more buried under rubble, all in just 3 months. That is more than 1% of the child population in gaza. To put that into perspective israel has only lost 0.001% of its child population, 36/3,000,000.Gaza has had 84,000% more child deaths, and will inevitably lose more due to increased disease, lack of medical care, no food, water or electricity and no homes to return to (70% of buildings in gaza are destroyed).
Original post by Anonymous #1
I think I am losing a 10-year friendship with my closest friend because of the Israel-Palestine conflict. Just some background, I am actually British-Filipino so I am not even part of this conflict, but as a Politics and Economics student, I am interested in current affairs so no doubt, the Israel-Palestine has got me reading and watching more videos about it.

I can write another post about my personal thoughts about this conflict in depth but for now I just want to focus on my current problem with my best friend. She is Arab and is very passionate about this conflict and I tried talking to her about my thoughts and how I analysed where I thought this situation was going. BTW, I refuse to even choose who to support (in short, my politics thinking is in the belief that the UK should only focus on their internal problems and European issues and by extension ex-colonies because Europe is our neighbour and we should not be sending billions of pounds to countries when we have our own problems to deal with). I say this to my friend alongside my political analysis on who had the upper-hand and came to the conclusion that Palestinians were truly going to suffer and I pray for the many innocents who are going to die from both sides as well as the failure of leadership, and completely against international aid from countries like the US who are nowhere NEAR these countries. I also mentioned the important factor of geopolitics and how although Israel was surrounded by enemies and such, they still had the upper hand of cargo drops for weaponry. All in all, I pretty much emphasized my lack of stance here, my empathy and hope that this conflict will soon come to an end.

What was I met with? I was met with messages with hostility and sarcasm that pointed me to be a fool and that I was misinformed and suffered from propaganda for my empathy for Israel even though I did not once say that I supported them, I only empathised with the loses - I made it clear that I was just analysing this from a curious Politics student. I explained myself over and over but they kept on saying how my points were invalid apart from a few - but it made me feel stupid. I did watch hours of videos and read multiple articles online ranging from different sources so I could see this conflict from different perspectives - I tried my best to be educated in this conflict and even if I was misinformed, I would have loved it if my friend would have just approached it in a friendlier manner like I was just their friend and not a supporter and I would have loved to learn from her intellect and wise nature.

But I'm left distraught, stupid, and have felt like I have just lost a friend. And it wasn't even that we disagreed on the Israel-Palestine conflict - we analysed things similarly, but I think she really hated my British foreign policy of just not getting involved and also my empathy towards the people who lost their lives in the recent attacks. I don't want to lose this friendship but I dont know how to ever approach them again if all they see in me is a political disagreement and not the 10 years we spent talking about books, classes, teachers, e.t.c.
i am arab myself and i see that this is wrong
maybe you could give me her email address and icould talk to her?
anyways explain to her your point of view that you have put in the hours of research and stuff and that you dont want to get involved
maybe try to sympathise more with her and ask her questions so she can answer
I think I am losing a 10-year friendship with my closest friend because of the Israel-Palestine conflict. Just some background, I am actually British-Filipino so I am not even part of this conflict, but as a Politics and Economics student, I am interested in current affairs so no doubt, the Israel-Palestine has got me reading and watching more videos about it.

I can write another post about my personal thoughts about this conflict in depth but for now I just want to focus on my current problem with my best friend. She is Arab and is very passionate about this conflict and I tried talking to her about my thoughts and how I analysed where I thought this situation was going. BTW, I refuse to even choose who to support (in short, my politics thinking is in the belief that the UK should only focus on their internal problems and European issues and by extension ex-colonies because Europe is our neighbour and we should not be sending billions of pounds to countries when we have our own problems to deal with). I say this to my friend alongside my political analysis on who had the upper-hand and came to the conclusion that Palestinians were truly going to suffer and I pray for the many innocents who are going to die from both sides as well as the failure of leadership, and completely against international aid from countries like the US who are nowhere NEAR these countries. I also mentioned the important factor of geopolitics and how although Israel was surrounded by enemies and such, they still had the upper hand of cargo drops for weaponry. All in all, I pretty much emphasized my lack of stance here, my empathy and hope that this conflict will soon come to an end.

What was I met with? I was met with messages with hostility and sarcasm that pointed me to be a fool and that I was misinformed and suffered from propaganda for my empathy for Israel even though I did not once say that I supported them, I only empathised with the loses - I made it clear that I was just analysing this from a curious Politics student. I explained myself over and over but they kept on saying how my points were invalid apart from a few - but it made me feel stupid. I did watch hours of videos and read multiple articles online ranging from different sources so I could see this conflict from different perspectives - I tried my best to be educated in this conflict and even if I was misinformed, I would have loved it if my friend would have just approached it in a friendlier manner like I was just their friend and not a supporter and I would have loved to learn from her intellect and wise nature.

But I'm left distraught, stupid, and have felt like I have just lost a friend. And it wasn't even that we disagreed on the Israel-Palestine conflict - we analysed things similarly, but I think she really hated my British foreign policy of just not getting involved and also my empathy towards the people who lost their lives in the recent attacks. I don't want to lose this friendship but I dont know how to ever approach them again if all they see in me is a political disagreement and not the 10 years we spent talking about books, classes, teachers, e.t.c.
sorry for the belated response!

you did the right thing trying to remain level-headed and educated, and I share your sympathy towards the dead, raped and kidnapped on Oct 7th and beyond. i think it best (if you are still friends with her) to set some firm boundaries: agree to disagree, no personal attacks, full sympathy for the civilians etc. if she won't respect them then leave.

also: when discussing topics like this i've found older people to be more mature (?) than younger people these days, try connecting with them perhaps?
(edited 1 month ago)
I had the same fear because I was afraid someone extremely important to me would get angry with me that I absolutely hate Russia because of the war in Ukraine. This person knows my position inside out and just doesn't care, preferring instead to be friendly and sweet to me for many years.
Similarly, I wouldn't care if she supports Russia. As I don't care when my granny supports Russia.
What you have said in your post is not a healthy friendship. I am in exactly the same position now (except it was a debate about a Marvel movie turned massive one-sided flame war directed at me... think of this what you will) , and I would suggest to the both of us, to stop talking to that person. At least, for a while. If they truly value you, they will hopefully understand what they are doing, stop and approach you themselves.
Step back, and try to talk to someone else. If they approach you, maybe something can change. If not, that person is not a true friend. People can and do change. I saw a wonderful person I grew up with all my life then devastate my heart after a few months of a relationship.
It is difficult, but that is my advice to you. I'll do the same thing with my friend.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending