The Student Room Group

Should I mention my chronic illness in my personal statement?

I am interested in studying Genetics and part of my interest stems from a rare chronic condition that I was diagnosed with, which has several genetic links. I was wondering whether it would be okay/appropriate for me to mention this on my personal statement, any advice would be great.
Original post by GMT123
I am interested in studying Genetics and part of my interest stems from a rare chronic condition that I was diagnosed with, which has several genetic links. I was wondering whether it would be okay/appropriate for me to mention this on my personal statement, any advice would be great.

I think it can help to support your motivation points.
Reply 2
Original post by Guru Jason
Not sure tbh. It's a personal statement not a BGT audition.

I understand your point, but I am not trying to gain sympathy by mentioning this, rather, I am trying to state where my interest genuinely comes from.
If it genuinely sparked your interest, yes, it's fine.
Original post by GMT123

as it sparked your interest in genetics make sure you mention it but don’t go into too much detail as you only have 4000 characters, however there is a point in the ucas application where you declare any medical conditions/ mental health issues so you could also write about yours here :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by abigailsnell
as it sparked your interest in genetics make sure you mention it but don’t go into too much detail as you only have 4000 characters, however there is a point in the ucas application where you declare any medical conditions/ mental health issues so you could also write about yours here :smile:

Thank you for the advice :smile:
(edited 6 months ago)
Original post by GMT123

Similar to the other replies, I belief that there is no harm in mentioning your chronic illness, purely on the basis you want to explain it sparked your interest into the subject.

Remember to keep the points brief and if you mention anything specific around the illness itself, that you link it back to the course. :u:
Original post by GMT123

Hi,

I would include it but as others have mentioned, make sure it comes across as being the reason for sparking your interest. I personally have a chronic illness and mentioned it in my personal statement when speaking about where my motivation and passion for the course came from.

I hope this helps out and best of luck with your application,

Mary,
London South Bank University Student Rep (3rd year Children's Nursing)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending